Executive Director of Annual Giving Programs
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Closing date
- Jan 20, 2022
- Position Type
- Executive, Fundraising, Annual Fund, Planned Giving
- Education, Research
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Executive Director of Annual Giving Programs is a strategic and creative leader with demonstrated experience executing annual giving programs that combine proven techniques and ongoing testing/innovations to meet ambitious revenue objectives. Well-versed in industry best practices and data-driven approaches, the Executive Director will lead a team of six professionals responsible for conceiving, planning, marketing, managing, and evaluating comprehensive multi-channel annual giving programs, with emphasis on unrestricted giving and current-use scholarship and fellowship support. The Executive Director holds a leadership role in Advancement and Alumni Relations and reports to the Associate Vice President (AVP) for Development.
- Develop and manage a long-term (five-year) plan to achieve growth in annual giving, especially unrestricted, immediate-use funds through the Caltech Fund in partnership with Advancement and Alumni Relations (AAR) leaders who share responsibility for achieving divisional goals.
- Serve as a key member of the Development Management Team and the AAR Managers team.
- Provide the structure for and facilitate the Trustee Annual Fund in collaboration with the Vice President for Advancement and Alumni Relations.
- Create and lead successful and comprehensive annual giving programs with a strong focus on revenue growth of the Caltech Fund.
- Set yearly fundraising goals and subgoals (dollars, donors, retention rates, etc.); define clear strategies for increasing revenue and alumni participation rates, both overall and amongst segments with high potential.
- Develop and use robust, leading-edge analytics to drive decision-making and evaluate annual giving appeals and approaches.
- Proactively develop initiatives and strategies in collaboration with the AVP to increase the effectiveness of annual giving programs.
- Lead the development of ask and segmentation strategies, targeted messaging, and marketing and outreach programs designed to enhance alumni giving, reunion giving, parent giving, faculty and staff giving, and giving from other select donor audiences, through strategic use of channels such as peer-to-peer. outreach, staff solicitations, direct mail, e-mail, texting, social media, and web.
- In partnership with Prospect Management and Research, identify a pool of annual leadership prospects for assignment to Caltech Fund staff and volunteers for personal outreach and make solicitation assignments.
- Direct stewardship and recognition strategies to retain and upgrade donors, including giving societies, events, and communications.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive annual giving plan and calendar.
- Oversee departmental budget.
Personnel Management and Collaboration
- Lead, manage, and coach a dynamic team of six professionals to drive the productivity of the Annual Giving team; establish and monitor annual team/individual work planning; create supportive and targeted professional development plans for individual team members.
- Work collaboratively with advancement services, prospect management and research, individual giving officers, alumni relations, and communications colleagues to create and facilitate a successful and enduring annual giving program.
- Grow and oversee a volunteer structure to advance annual giving programs. Identify, recruit, train, and manage volunteers as they solicit their peers for Caltech Fund gifts.
- Recommend and participate in the selection of tools, technologies, and vendors to support the annual giving program’s success.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and conduct best practice reviews of annual giving at other institutions, ensuring that Caltech is a leader amongst its peers.
- Execute other duties as assigned by the AVP.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of six years of fundraising experience with proven expertise in annual giving.
- Thorough understanding of development operations in a complex environment.
- A documented track record of success in managing progressively successful annual fundraising campaigns, including the management of volunteers engaged in direct solicitation, running direct mail, telemarketing, online giving programs, and closing leadership gifts.
- Ambitious and motivated professional, who values a collaborative working environment.
- Ability to establish strong, interpersonal relationships with academic and administrative leaders, advancement colleagues, and donors.
- Experience managing and developing a team.
- Data analysis skills and the ability to employ sophisticated reporting to aid in decision-making.
- Proven technological capabilities and a high level of comfort with effectively using fundraising databases, spreadsheets, word processing, and presentation software.
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and see projects through to a timely completion; Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in budget planning and oversight.
- Candidates must be comfortable with a work schedule that includes travel and some evening and weekend work.
- Demonstrated ability to practice and adhere to organizational values.
- Advanced degree.
- Previous work experience in a research university environment.
- Authentic curiosity about science and technology as well as a strong appreciation for the extraordinary intellectual accomplishments and challenges of Caltech's faculty and students, along with the grace and enthusiasm necessary to serve as an ambassador for Caltech annual giving.
- Cover letter
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert