Spirit of America seeks a Director of Development with
experience identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding lead
donors to expand the organization’s base of donors and prospects.
The position reports to the Chief Marketing Officer. The Director
of Development manages a portfolio of individual, corporate and
foundation prospects, the creation of compelling institutional
fundraising proposals for program, endowment, and unrestricted
support. This is a team management and fundraising leadership role
for someone with a strong interest in national security, military
affairs, foreign policy, humanitarian relief, and a deep commitment
to the safety and success of America’s troops and diplomats. The
position entails building new, as well as maintaining existing,
relationships with foundations and high net worth
individuals. The Director of Development will supervise the
donor stewardship, research, and development operations
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development team responsible for creating and
implementing a comprehensive development program including
cultivation, solicitation and stewardship programming.
- Assume a portfolio of 75-100 leadership donors and meet annual
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit gifts from major individual,
corporate and foundation prospects.
- Prepare and implement written strategies for portfolio
prospects and utilize effective tracking/monitoring processes.
- Ensure timely and engaging communications with donors and
prospects that compliment overall communication efforts
- Design, document, and implement a systematic and integrated
donor relations program that encompasses donor recognition events,
endowed position installations, and innovative opportunities for
recognition and stewardship.
- Act as a spokesperson at public speaking events to include
check presentations, outside events, informational
- Utilize prospect tracking system to record moves, asks, and
outcomes including trip reports, rating/staffing changes and gift
- Travel approximately 35% of time and complete 75-100 personal
- Responsible for overseeing all functions of donor database
- Participate in the planning and design of organizational
initiatives and policies.
- Participate in the planning and design of cultivation and
stewardship events including high level dinners, cocktail
receptions, and other functions.
- Maintain strict confidentiality as outlined in Spirit of
America’s Policy on Confidentiality of Constituent
- Excellent organizational and communication skills. Special
emphasis placed on detail, accuracy, and ability to speak and write
with confidence, persuasiveness, enthusiasm, and commitment.
- Demonstrated ability to work easily and effectively with a wide
range of people, including corporate executives, foundation
leaders, volunteers, media, staff, and board-level
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven management
- Ability to move prospects through the development process –
from cultivation to solicitation and closure.
- Excellent social skills, with large groups as well as with
individuals, are required.
- Proven skills and ability to manage multi-phase projects from
inception to completion, including the ability to build consensus
among team members and balance multiple concurrent priorities.
- Detail oriented, well organized, focused and goal-oriented,
with a high level of initiative and energy, is essential, as well
as adept at problem solving and using judgment in situations
requiring independent initiative and tact.
- Strong writing and editing skills that include technical as
well as persuasive writing mediums.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of 7-10 years of
experience, in development, stewardship, and advancement services
in a mission-driven organization or institution.
- Previous experience interacting with donors as a front-line
- Demonstrated success in activities to coordinate, attract, and
close major gift funding support for a university or other large
non-profit organization, including face-to-face solicitation of
gifts of $1,000,000 or more.
- Demonstrated success in gift planning and the ability to plan
and execute annual and capital fundraising programs.
- Experience managing other members in a development department
focused on stewardship, research and/or operations.
Spirit of America
Spirit of America is a nonprofit citizen service organization
founded in response to the attacks of 9/11. Our mission is to
engage citizens in preserving the promise of a free and better
life. We do this by working alongside troops and diplomats to
support their safety and success, promoting values shared by
Americans and our allies, strengthening relationships with allies,
friends, and partners, and demonstrating that the United States is
a friend to all who seek a better life. We are officially approved
by Congress and the Department of Defense to work alongside
deployed US troops and provide private assistance in support of
Spirit of America helps our troops and diplomats build trust and
goodwill, prevent conflict, and strengthen America’s security. Our
work saves and improves lives. In the world’s toughest places,
people experience the best of who Americans are and what we stand
Spirit of America offers a competitive salary and compensation
package. The position is in Arlington, Virginia. To work at Spirit
of America, you must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Spirit of America is an equal opportunity employer. In
accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against
any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis,
including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniformed service
member status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age (40 and over), pregnancy (including
childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), national
origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental
disability, genetic information (including testing and
characteristics) or any other consideration protected by federal,
state or local law. Our commitment to equal opportunity employment
applies to all persons involved in our operations and prohibits
unlawful discrimination by any employee, including supervisors and