The Development Director position at the Association of Schools
and Colleges of Optometry (ASCO) is responsible for
developing/creating, planning, managing, implementing and
evaluating all aspects of a comprehensive fund development program
for the association.
ASCO’s Development Director provides direction, management and
administrative support for daily fundraising operations, and helps
to advance the goals of the organization through the development of
financial resources to maintain and enhance programs and services
around advocacy, applicant pool development, collaboration,
leadership and career development, and organizational
sustainability and infrastructure.
Responsibilities include direction and administration of all
fundraising activities, volunteer and program management,
development-related communications, financial management, and
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develops, implements and manages strategies and initiatives
for identifying, researching, cultivating, soliciting, and
stewarding foundation donors, corporate sponsors, and prospects.
Responsible for both strategic and operational roles for
fundraising, including development of ASCO’s fundraising plan;
leading all fundraising initiatives; providing proper stewardship
of current donor/sponsor relations, helping the Board, CEO, and
other staff and volunteers leverage relationships; identifying and
engaging prospective donors/sponsors; conducting prospect research;
and asking for contributions/sponsorships.
2. Develops, implements, and evaluates all of the organization’s
development campaigns, including but not limited to ASCO’s
Corporate Contributor program, program and meeting sponsorship, the
Optometry Gives Me Life (OGML) campaign, publication and
website advertising sales, and the Partnership Endowment.
3. Designs, implements, manages, and monitors strategies and
programs for increasing the numbers of donors, sponsors, grantors,
and advertisers; the average size of donor gifts, grants,
sponsorships, and advertisements; and the overall amount of funds
raised on an annual basis.
4. Researches corporate and foundation grant and sponsorship
opportunities. Prepares letters of inquiry, grant proposals (cases
for support), presentations, and collateral materials used in
recruiting new donors/sponsors/grantors and maintaining engagement
of current donors/sponsors/grantors.
5. Conducts solicitations, engaging and leveraging connections
held by the Board of Directors, the CEO, other volunteers (such as
SIG members), and other ASCO staff members, in opening up
opportunities for and carrying out fundraising solicitations.
Designs, manages, and administers a stewardship plan that engages
volunteers and other staff.
6. Designs, implements, and monitors ongoing reporting and
acknowledgement systems to measure progress towards fundraising
goals and to ensure timely and accurate stewardship and tracking of
donations and sponsorships. This includes timely and accurate
inputting of donations/sponsorships into the record-keeping system,
tracking fundraising progress, and reporting results on a regular
basis. Maintains appropriate contact and fundraising information on
donors, sponsors, and special event participants.
7. Designs, maintains, and coordinates a formal donor/sponsor
recognition program. Works with other ASCO staff and volunteers to
assure donors and sponsors are appropriately recognized and that
all sponsorship benefit promises are met.
8. Participates in conferences, expositions, and events hosted
by other organizations where current and prospective donors,
sponsors, advertisers, and grantors are likely to attend.
Volunteer & Program
1. Designs, directs, and implements the delivery of programs and
benefits that accompany the Corporate Contributors Program. This
includes (but is not limited to): including scheduling
board presentations; planning and managing virtual town hall
meetings and in-person events; distributing data reports; and
arranging for advertising, newsletter stories and other recognition
2. Plans and organizes donor recognition events, such as the
OGML Donor Reception and the annual Corporate Contributor
3. Collaborates with ASCO’s Director of Meetings and Special
Interest Groups and Business Operations Manager to ensure Corporate
Contributor sponsorship of, and recognition and participation in,
the Annual Leadership Luncheon. Collaborates with the
Communications Director to sell advertising in the Awards Program
for the Annual Leadership Luncheon.
4. Serves as staff liaison to committees, SIGs, and task forces
as assigned. Involved in all levels of committee, SIG, and task
force work, including planning, development, and execution of new
and on-going projects/programs; developing agendas; keeping and
distributing minutes; orienting volunteers; maintaining member
lists in ASCO’s membership database and online communities (ASCO
Connect); and writing progress reports. Currently serves as staff
liaison to: the Fundraising Advisory Committee (FNDC); the
Applicant Pool Advisory Committee (APAC); the Partnership Endowment
Advisory Subcommittee (PEAS); and the Advancement Special Interest
5. Serves as an in-house fundraising resource for all ASCO
programs, services, and volunteer groups (Board, committees, task
forces, SIGs, and professional groups). Leads, supports, and
coordinates volunteer fundraising efforts to support SIG
activities, and participates in Board, Committee, Task Force, SIG
and Professional Group meetings as needed.
6. Oversees annual contributions to the Partnership Endowment
and manages its grants and distribution processes. Works directly
with the Partnership Endowment Advisory Subcommittee to determine
funding availability for the coming year and appropriate use of
7. Collaborates with ASCO’s Communications Director to promote
advertising opportunities in the newsletter, journal, website,
awards program and other communications vehicles.
8. Collaborates with ASCO’s Business Operations Manager to
promote advertising in ASCO’s online Career Center.
1. Works with the Communications Director to maintain updated
donor/sponsor/advertiser information and recognition on ASCO’s web
page, and in ASCO’s newsletter, journal, Annual Report, press
releases, social media outlets, and all other communications
2. Works with the Communications Director and the Fundraising
Advisory Committee to develop and distribute appropriate
communications surrounding development activities, including press
releases, newsletter stories, updates in ASCO’s Annual Report, and
3. Collaborates with volunteers and other ASCO staff to maximize
recognition/visibility for contributions to and sponsorships of
ASCO at events and programs hosted by ASCO or other organizations,
4. Works with ASCO staff and volunteers to develop ways to
measure and communicate the impact of donors’ and sponsors’
investment in the association.
1. Works closely with ASCO’s accounting department to generate
invoices, determine relevant funding restrictions, and provide
2. Collaborates with ASCO staff and volunteers to develop and
carry out initiatives to promote awareness and volunteer
involvement within ASCO and its’ programs. Plays an important role
in annual and strategic planning efforts.
3. Assists the Finance Director, the CEO, and other ASCO staff
members in the creation of the annual budget.
4. Develops, maintains, and monitors the operating budget for
all of ASCO’s fundraising activities within the constraints of the
overall budget. Approves and codes appropriate Accounts Payable and
submits expense reports in a timely manner.
5. Is familiar with ASCO’s chart of accounts, and makes
recommendations for changes.
6. Sees that the appropriate paperwork is filed with each state
where fundraising activities are conducted, if necessary.
Administrative and Other
1. Coordinates and produces activity reports in a timely manner,
including reports for the Board of Directors, Fundraising Advisory
Committee, the Applicant Pool Advisory Committee, and the
Partnership Endowment Advisory Subcommittee, as well as time
sheets, and other activity reports as needed.
2. Assists in the design, implementation and documentation of
policies and procedures that meet the needs of internal and
3. Contributes to a positive work environment and collaborates
with all ASCO staff to meet the goals in the association’s yearly
work plan and budget.
4. Monitors and reports on economic, societal and community
trends pertinent to ASCO and the optometric education community.
Ensures that staff and board are informed of changes in trends and
initiatives that might impact the organization.
5. Follows trends in philanthropy, as well as general economic,
political and societal changes in the external environment, through
membership and involvement in recognized professional societies for
6. Participates as a member of the management team in all
management and planning operations as required.
7. Other duties as assigned.