The Director of Development & Communications will
execute a fundraising and communications plan that incorporates
donor solicitation and stewardship, a recurring giving program, the
annual Gala, fundraising and cultivation events, and corporate and
institutional support. The Director will also execute a
comprehensive communications effort that features vibrant and
engaging storytelling across all platforms – print, digital and
This is an exciting opportunity to create and grow a successful
engagement program that engages high-level leaders from the worlds
of business, government, diplomacy, journalism, science and
more in France and the U.S. The successful candidate will have an
entrepreneurial spirit, enjoy learning new skills and stretching,
be detail-oriented without losing sight of larger objectives, and
be committed to French-American friendship.
Individual and Institutional Giving (30%)
- Establish an annual cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
plan/calendar including email, social media, print, and events
(live and virtual).
- Steward donor relationships by ensuring fulfillment of
benefits, along with consistent and creative appreciation
- Provide support to the President on soliciting major
- Manage the Foundation's Young Leaders alumni network.
- Oversee and track the grant cycle, including research, proposal
writing, reporting requirements, and special requests.
- Work to identify corporate sponsorship opportunities
- Help identify, research, and cultivate new and lapsed
- Take the lead in communicating FAF’s impact and strengthening
the organization’s profile among prospects, donors, media, and key
stakeholders in order to advance its mission.
- Develop and implement a messaging and storytelling
- Provide oversight of the Foundation’s social media
- Coordinate content and write key external communication pieces
including newsletter, website updates, marketing collateral,
scripts, sponsorship proposals, etc.
Fundraising Events (20%)
- Partner with the Gala consultant to create the event program
and materials, and play an active role in fundraising for the
- Oversee and execute cultivation event logistics and
- Maintain budgets for all events, negotiating and tracking
expenses, and processing invoices, purchase order requests, and
- Provide on-site support at events.
Development Operations (10%)
In partnership with Finance Manager:
- Manage fundraising operations including database functionality
and record maintenance.
- Ensure all donations are tracked and acknowledged in a timely
manner and in compliance with Foundation reporting needs, and
ensure timely and accurate reconciliation.
- Utilize the DonorPerfect database, produce data and reports to
evaluate ROI and impact.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years prior experience of increasing responsibility in
development; knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and
stewardship strategies and techniques.
- An eye and an ear for impactful storytelling, communications,
and design; experience with WordPress is a plus.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to dig into the
- Proficient with using and managing donor databases; experience
with DonorPerfect is a plus.
- French language skills, oral and written, are required.
ABOUT THE FRENCH-AMERICAN FOUNDATION
The French-U.S. partnership is indispensable in pursuit of
common action for stability and prosperity at home and throughout
the world. Founded in 1976, the French-American Foundation is
unique among organizations linking France and the U.S: its programs
construct a vertical line through diverse groups of leaders,
policymakers, and professionals from business, government, the
military, media, academia, non-profit, and cultural
sectors. Engagement along this axis creates an innovative
intersection of ideas and experiences and promotes open minds and
productive dialogue. With more than 3,500 participants in over
500 programs over 45 years, the French-American Foundation has
created a rich network of people and ideas for action.
This is a full-time, exempt position, with occasional evening or
weekend work if needed. Benefits include generous paid time off;
health, dental and vision benefits; and a 403(b).