Unite America seeks a full-time Chief of Staff, Investor
Relations. The Chief of Staff is responsible for the
day-to-day management, operations, and growth of the Investor
Relations team, which seeks to build an unprecedented
cross-partisan philanthropic community to mobilize over $100M in
new resources to scale the democracy reform movement.
Unite America is a coalition of Democrats, Republicans, and
independents that aims to foster a representative and functional
government committed to solving our major challenges. We invest in
candidates, campaigns, and organizations to advance nonpartisan
electoral reforms that improve governing incentives and put voters
Founded in 2014, Unite America and its 20-person team has grown
to be a leader in the democracy reform movement--supporting,
coordinating and executing to advance policy and elect pro-reform
candidates. The Unite America Fund launched in 2019 and has since
mobilized millions of dollars from dozens of philanthropists to
reform campaigns and candidates across the country.
Over the last three years, the Unite America Fund has been the
driving force behind passing and implementing Ranked Choice Voting
in NYC, the largest expansion of RCV in history; defeating the most
extremist member of Congress in their primary election in 2020;
adopting a first of its kind final-four voting system in Alaska to
address the “primary problem;”
winning an anti-gerrymandering campaign in Virginia; and electing
state lawmakers across the country who have formed cross-partisan
legislative caucuses already advancing groundbreaking electoral
reforms. We are focused on dramatically scaling our impact in the
years to come.
At Unite America, we are working to build a more representative
and functional government that puts voters first and reflects the
diversity of our country. An inclusive democracy where leaders
embrace problem solving over fueling divisiveness. Likewise,
organizationally, we have a vision of building a team that reflects
diverse identities, experiences and perspectives; a culture of
working across differences toward common goals; and a workplace
where everyone feels included, respected and heard. To that end,
Unite America is proud to have made diversifying our team, ensuring
more equitable opportunity, and fostering a culture of belonging a
priority. Our organizational values reinforce this commitment as we
work to model the leadership we seek, solve problems together, and
take care of one another, to name a few.
THE INVESTOR RELATIONS DEPARTMENT
The Investor Relations department at Unite America is the
driving engine responsible for engaging a national, cross-partisan
network of political philanthropists (the “Unite America Network”)
to mobilize over $100M in new resources to the democracy reform
movement via the Unite America Fund.
We seek to bring a venture capital model to scaling a movement
that has, to date, remained too disparate and undercapitalized. To
do so, we serve as a one-stop shop for philanthropists who want to
maximize their impact but do not have the capacity or expertise to
conduct their own diligence. The Investor Relations department
packages investment opportunities into a cohesive portfolio,
convenes our philanthropic community and engages prospective
donors, and reports back to them on progress and results.
Concurrent with ambitious funding goals, our team strives to
expand and cultivate a true community of individuals and
foundations investing in democracy reform. The Investor Relations
team engages our community and prospective members through regular
1:1 engagements and briefings, virtual and regional salon
experiences, and the largest convening of philanthropists in the
democracy reform movement, our “Invest in Democracy
As Chief of Staff, Investor Relations you will manage the
day-to-day operations of a team tasked with engaging a national
network of political philanthropists to scale investment in the
nonpartisan democracy reform movement. You will report to the VP,
Investor Relations and regularly collaborate with the Executive
Director and Executive Team at the organization. This position is
based in Denver, CO or Washington, D.C., though exceptional
candidates in other markets may not be required to relocate. This
is a full-time role with full benefits.
- Partner with the VP, Investor Relations to drive strategy,
programs, and accountability toward development objectives and key
results –– ultimately to mobilize $100M in new resources from a
cross-partisan community of over 100 major donors
- Manage three staff, which will more than double in your first
year, to support their professional development and the functional
day-to-day operations of the team
- Oversee the design & implementation of departmental
systems, processes & databases that serve the donor
prospecting, engagement, and stewardship
- Oversee the development of Unite America Fund “investment
portfolios” –– including the crafting of recommendations,
communication of content, and reporting of results
- Serve as a thought partner to the VP, Investor Relations
- Support joint fundraising collaborations with partner
- Support principal facing relationships
- Support cross-departmental collaboration and communication,
including to ensure the effective integration of fundraising and
- Serve as the hiring manager for the Investor Relations
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
You are passionate for the cause and ready to translate an
ambitious vision into reality. You are entrepreneurial and can
thrive in a fast-paced and highly demanding startup environment
without a pre-existing playbook.
You have developed the skill sets necessary for this role in the
private sector and/or within a large institution. You are a capable
manager who can build trust, develop talent, and deliver results.
You can paint the big picture while executing at a tactical
You are a highly organized, analytical, and systems-oriented
problem solver. You have a strategic mindset, can effectively
prioritize tasks and allocate your time, and are adept at holding
principal facing relationships. You are a strong communicator with
a history of managing up.
- You have 10+ years relevant professional experience.
- You have a track record of team management and organizational
- You have experience interfacing directly with principals &
- You have periodic flexibility to travel and work nontraditional
hours to support events and programs.
- You are proficient in Google suite (e.g. Gmail, Drive,
Calendar, Sheets, Slides, etc.).
- You have strong communication skills that can help translate
complex information to written collateral and pitch decks.
- You have a very high standard of professionalism and personal
- You feel energized working in an innovative, fast-paced
environment with high expectations.
- You have a good sense of humor.
- You have a strong desire to fix a broken political system and
passion for our cause.
- You have successfully coached team members in support of their
- You’re excited to actively support and develop Unite America’s
vibrant and inclusive culture, as the team grows and the
organization gains traction.
- Competitive Compensation (est. $135k - $150k)
- 401(k) Plan (with up to a 3% employer contribution match)
- Health Care Plan (medical, dental, and vision)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (vacation, sick days, and public
- Family Leave (maternity, paternity, and adoption)
- Training & Professional Development
- Wellness Resources
- Opportunity to join an inclusive, vibrant, and diverse
- Ideal location: Denver, CO or Washington, DC