Botanical Garden of the Piedmont (BGP) is a growing community
resource located near the heart of Charlottesville, Virginia.
Our goal is to add to the overall quality of life for residents of
Charlottesville and the surrounding communities, attract tourism
and support the local economy.
We are seeking an experienced, collaborative and self-motivated
fundraising and marketing professional to serve as the Director
of Advancement. This is a full-time opportunity to lead the
development of an emerging public garden as it progresses toward
design and build out. The successful candidate will manage both the
Philanthropic and Marketing efforts for the Garden.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED), the Director of
Advancement will be responsible for developing and managing vital
revenue streams which will allow the Garden to maximize its impact
in the community. He/she will be responsible for designing and
implementing an annual giving program and Capital Campaign, as well
as driving all development related events and marketing
- Proven track record of driving successful fundraising
- Keen understanding of basic fundraising principles and
development best practices
- Strong prospect identification and qualification skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Proficiency in donor database software
- This position may be remote, but only within the
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Certification for Fundraising
- Minimum five years of fundraising or non-profit experience
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors and
Development committee members to identify, cultivate, solicit and
steward prospects and donors.
- Create and implement Development strategy for major gift
- Set priorities and expectations; maintain comprehensive metrics
to track areas of success and improvement. Provide regular reports
to the Board of Directors and ED.
- Travel locally for donor/prospect visits. Plan and execute BGP
annual fund including two solicitation mailings per year.
- Oversee grant subcommittee which researches and writes grants
to secure funding for BGP.
- Manage Development budget and forecast for BGP. Work with ED
and Treasurer on monthly reconciliation.
- Maintain Donor records and reports.
- Plan Development Committee meetings.
- Oversee gift acknowledgement process.
- Organize and execute donor and fund-raising events.
- Develop, and execute annual Marketing plan, including
management of Marketing budget.
- Oversee content and updates to all Marketing vehicles,
including BGP website, Social Media Channels, newsletter, and all
marketing materials, including the Annual Report.
- Manage BGP public relations with area media, including drafting
press releases, scheduling interviews and arranging coverage of BGP
- Provide regular updates to ED and Board of Directors.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. BGP
offers a competitive package including salary, benefits and
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jill Trischman-Marks
Botanical Garden of the Piedmont is committed to creating and
supporting a diverse and inclusive work and community that is free
of all forms of discrimination. We do not tolerate discrimination
or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender
identity or expression, genetic information, national origin,
parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual
orientation or veteran status.
Botanical Garden of the Piedmont brings people of all ages and
backgrounds together as a community to celebrate and nurture our
native flora and fauna. The organization embraces inclusion
by inviting everyone to participate in the Garden whether they be
visitors, supporters, volunteers, or staff, to further our goal of
being a place that promotes human and environmental well-being. In
nature and in society, diversity matters—we welcome and celebrate
it! For more information, visit https://piedmontgarden.org.