POSITION SUMMARY: DIRECTOR, ANNUAL GIVING & DIRECT
The Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health seeks a
Director, Annual Giving & Direct Marketing to join its Annual
Giving team. The Director reports to the Associate Vice President,
Children’s Fund and is responsible for management of the direct
appeal programs (direct mail and digital), which help sustain and
increase annual support through the Lucile Packard Children's Fund.
The Director is responsible for driving the strategy, messaging,
letter and insert copy, execution, and tracking of direct appeal
projects that support the annual giving program.
Due to Covid-19, employees of LPFCH are currently working
remotely, with the expectation of returning to the office within
the next few months (subject to extension as circumstances
warrant). Once the office reopens, employees will transition to a
hybrid work model. Please note that LPFCH has a Mandatory
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and that all
new employees must submit proof of their Covid-19
vaccination at the time their employment commences. Alternatively,
prior to commencing employment, new employees may request approval
for an accommodation for an exemption to the policy as permitted by
GENERAL POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for developing strategies for effective and
cost-efficient direct appeal programs utilizing a variety of
mediums including direct mail, telemarketing, email, and social
- Plan and implement appropriate solicitation strategies for
donor, lapsed donor, and prospect segments, and will be responsible
for analyzing program results and meeting set goals.
- Create a strategic messaging plan appropriate to specific donor
populations and craft appeal content including letters, phone
scripts, and supporting pieces.
- Oversee the production of appeals by working with designers and
vendors. In the process, the Director will work with members of the
Strategic Communications team to ensure appeals have strong synergy
with the Foundation's communications strategy.
- Determine appropriate solicitation populations and implement
strategies to maximize donor acquisition, retention, and
- Manage a Development Associate, Annual Giving & Direct
Marketing and a Development Assistant who are responsible for
pulling data files, working with vendors, tracking program results,
and crafting solicitation materials as needed.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with vendors, including
the direct mail and telemarketing vendors and graphic
- Work cooperatively with the rest of the annual giving team and
other members of the Foundation staff.
NOTE: We are a dynamic organization in a
rapidly changing industry. Therefore, the responsibilities
associated with this position will evolve and grow in accordance
with LPFCH's business needs and growth plans. More specifically,
the incumbent may be required to perform additional and/or
different responsibilities based on the future growth plans for the
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline and/or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years' experience in development and/or direct
marketing or a similar field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook products including Word, Excel,
Power Point and Outlook.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or other donor databases.
- Experience analyzing data and results.
- Prior management experience.
- A demonstrated understanding of annual giving and the essential
components of a successful leadership gifts program.
- Experience in higher education and/or healthcare.
Competencies the Director, Annual Giving & Direct
Marketing must possess:
- Exemplary communications skills:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with proven
ability to communicate a compelling case for annual support through
- Experience with promotional writing, marketing, and creating
- Demonstrated editing, proofreading, and copyediting
- Program manager who operates strategically,
autonomously and within a team:
- Experience in project management or directing an appeals
program as well as an understanding of the use of direct mail and
telemarketing to generate and sustain annual support.
- Ability to work autonomously and creatively, setting priorities
and completing assignments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills and initiative in follow
- Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and
to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with the
capacity to manage multiple projects simultaneously:
- Ability to review and analyze gift information as well as donor
number and behavior trends. Ability to demonstrate and utilize such
information to determine appropriate direct appeals strategies and
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
with strong attention to detail.
- Sound judgment and integrity:
- Use of good judgment and treat confidential information with
- High level of adaptability and flexibility:
- Ability to be supportive and flexible.
- Ability to utilize database software.
- Mission orientation:
- Possesses a genuine interest in improving child and maternal
Apply online by submitting a cover letter and resume.