The Director for The Kavli Prize is responsible for
strategizing, managing, and implementing the biennial Kavli Prizes
jointly with the Kavli Prize Partners – The Norwegian Academy of
Science and Letters and The Norwegian Ministry of Education and
Research – and through support from Kavli Foundation staff.
Candidates should have direct experience in managing international
prizes and/or programs with large-scale events and communications
activities, and elements that include diplomatic relations and
collaborating with other partners. Major responsibilities include
collaborating with the Kavli Prize partners on the planning and
execution of The Kavli Prize announcement and Kavli Prize Week in
Oslo, Norway; planning and overseeing national and international
Kavli Prize events and publicity activities with external partners;
liaising with Kavli Prize Laureates on award payments, medals, and
high-profile events; and managing a $2.5 million annual budget.
Science-related background is not required.
MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITY AREAS
Managed directly with support from Kavli Foundation staff
and/or in coordination with the Prize partners.
Kavli Prize Events
- Kavli Prize Week: Held biennially (even years) in
Oslo, Norway with activities including receptions, banquet,
ceremony and Laureate panel discussions and other program elements.
Attendance at all events required. Lead role in planning and
executing The Kavli Foundation’s welcome reception, with staff
support. Collaborate with Kavli Prize partners on other program
aspects as determined.
- Kavli Prize announcement: Held biennially in even
years, includes coordinating with the Kavli Prize partners (Academy
and Ministry) to announce the selection of the laurates, external
media partners and Kavli Foundation staff. Oversee and manage
announcement strategy, including announcement program (online and
in-person), development of media assets and results reports.
- Kavli Prize Laureate events: Identify opportunities to
promote the laureates and their science, working in partnership
with Kavli Foundation communications staff. Manage existing (e.g.,
Carnegie Institute for Science) and potential future partnerships,
including agreements and budget. Serve as Kavli Prize and Kavli
- Content and Promotion: Collaborate with the Norwegian
Academy on copy and content (e.g., solicitation letters) in
preparation for the open call (September 1 to December 1 of odd
years). Lead and manage promotion through creation and placement of
digital and print advertising (see below) and social media in
collaboration with Kavli Foundation communications staff.
- Email lists: In conjunction with Kavli staff,
coordinate updating the Call for Nomination’s list to receive
solicitation letters from the Norwegian Academy President. Support
the Academy in reviewing and testing personalized letter for each
category of the list.
Media and Communications
- Partnerships: Identify opportunities to promote the
laureates and their science, working in partnership with Kavli
Foundation communications staff. Manage existing and potential
future partnerships, agreements, and budget. Examples of
partnerships includes Scientific American, Alan Alda’s Clear and
Vivid podcast, and World Science Festival.
- Advertising: Oversee creative development and
placement of print and digital advertising orders with major
scientific and non-scientific publications for the Call for
Nominations and The Kavli Prize announcement in partnership with
Kavli Foundation communications staff. Manage payments, budget, and
- Communications Agency (Burness): Partner with Kavli
Foundation communications staff on focus and utility of
communications agency. Manage agreement, payments, budget, and
Laureate Award Payments and Medals
- Kavli Prize Laureate Award Payments: Responsible for
initiating annual award payments to laureates and liaising with
legal counsel and accounting on payments.
- Kavli Prize Medals and Scrolls: Purchase gold and
direct the minting of the Kavli Prize gold medals. Oversee the
manufacture of the prize medal boxes and scroll holders and
shipment of the medals and scrolls to the laureates with support
from the Kavli Foundation program specialist.
- Kavli Prize Partners Meetings: Plan and help lead
monthly partner calls and biennial partners in-person meeting,
including agendas, reports, logistics and follow-up on
- Internal Meetings: Partner with communications staff
on twice monthly meetings to review communications strategies and
plan, media partnerships and assets, events, etc. Frequency
increases in on-years timed to the Kavli Prize announcement.
- Board Meetings: Provide input and draft or review
content related to The Kavli Prize for board meetings, including
written materials/reports and PowerPoint presentations.
Collaborate with the director of communications and prizes, with
support from other Kavli staff.
- Manage overall budget throughout the fiscal year, including the
creation of an annual budget, reviews of monthly budget reports and
development of year-end projections.
CHARACTERISTICS AND SKILLS
- Ability to lead, coordinate and manage concurrent multiple
projects, with strong attention to detail and deadline
- Confidence and understanding diplomacy when working with
international partners, constituents, and vendors.
- Ability to coordinate and/or supervise the detailed event
planning for Kavli Prize activities in collaboration with
Foundation staff and/or external partners.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational
- Background in science or interest in science research
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in managing high-profile
national and international programs, science-related preferred.
Specific experience in managing prizes preferred.
- Experience working with philanthropic foundations, higher
education institutions, and scientific societies, academies, or
research commissions preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Prior budget management experience required.
Remote/hybrid will be considered
and international travel is
Competitive benefits package
1. Submit resume and cover letter to: HR@Kavlifoundation.org
2. All applicants must complete the Culture Index
No phone calls or recruiters please
The Kavli Foundation is an EEO employer