With world attention on both the environment and the
economy, Environmental Defense Fund
(EDF) is where policymakers and business
leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science,
uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent
threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest
environmental organizations, with more than two million members and
a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy
experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22
geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You
will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results
are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds
and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we
face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We
seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect,
Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support
our Commitment to
This position is a critical part of the Development
Communications team within EDF’s Development Department. Location
is flexible, preferably in EDF’s New York, San Francisco, or
Washington, DC offices. There is opportunity for a hybrid work
schedule as well.
The Development Communications Senior Specialist reports to the
Associate Director and Senior Editor of Development
The Development Communications Senior Specialist will help
ensure the smooth functioning and high performance of the
Development Communications team, which prepares proposals, reports,
donor emails and other written materials to cultivate and secure
funding from donors for EDF’s programs.
- Proof and quality check cultivation, solicitation, and
stewardship materials written by senior members of the Development
- Write cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials,
including proposals, reports and emails.
- Support the Development Communications Team as needed to
produce the highest-quality documents, for example by assisting
with gathering content, formatting, developing tables, and photo
- Support document and process flow, ensuring deadlines are met
- Manage and maintain electronic files, including donor lists,
communications documents and workplans.
- Communicate and collaborate extensively with development,
program and marketing staff in carrying out tasks and
- Participate in department-wide initiatives, projects, meetings,
retreats and other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate and send time-sensitive emails about breaking news
to donors. This includes proofreading and managing distribution
- Participate in advancing EDF’s diversity, equity and inclusion
goals, in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel
connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and
organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in English, journalism,
communications or marketing with a minimum of three years’ relevant
- Excellent writing, proofing, and editing skills with a keen
understanding of style and grammar.
- Ability to translate complex technical information into plain
- Consistent attention to detail with excellent organizational
- Familiarity with best practices in fundraising and fundraising
communications, including experience with project management.
- Proficiency in a database or constituent relationship
management system, such as Salesforce.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office. Familiarity with photoshop
and InDesign a plus.
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple
tasks effectively under deadline pressure.
- Strong time management skills, especially when it comes to
balancing small but necessary tasks with big, urgent ones.
- Ability to work as a strong team player as well as
- An understanding of and commitment to EDF’s mission and core
values of results, respect, innovation, optimism and
- Demonstrated self-awareness, cultural competency and
inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders
across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter on our careers
Environmental Defense Fund
is an equal
opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are
considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
basis prohibited by law.