Title: Development Officer
Supervisor: Vice President of Development
Location: Flexible; preference for Washington, DC;
The Plains, VA; and/or Great Lakes Region
This is a full-time position with American Bird Conservancy
(ABC). American Bird Conservancy is a fast-growing, results-focused
wildlife conservation non-profit seeking employees with an
entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to make a difference for birds
throughout the Americas. ABC takes on the greatest problems facing
birds today, innovating and building on rapid advancements in
science to halt extinctions, protect habitats, eliminate threats,
and build capacity for bird conservation.
The ABC Development Officer serves as a lead fundraiser for
discrete ABC programs. Development Officers at ABC are integral
members of program teams, and, in addition to raising funds,
provide input into project planning and implementation. This
position would cover International and Marine Programs.
1. Lead and coordinate fundraising efforts to meet or exceed
annual and long-term fundraising goals.
2. Identify and cultivate prospective donors.
3. Develop and submit well-written proposals and reports to a
variety of funding sources, including private foundations,
individual donors, and corporations.
4. Help develop and maintain program budgets in coordination with
Grants Officers and the Finance Division.
5. Provide input into conservation planning and project
6. Develop and coordinate fundraising appointments, dinners,
events, and field trips.
7. Keep Board members and major donors informed of ABC programs and
needs through regular updates, online appeals, and special
8. Maintain donor tracking systems and provide reminders to program
staff of upcoming deadlines and donor-anticipated products.
9. Assist with projects as requested by President or Vice President
1. Excellent writing and oral communication skills; particularly
2. Strong leadership skills.
3. Strategic thinker.
4. Excellent organizational skills and successful experience
managing complex activities.
5. Outgoing and flexible personality.
6. Entrepreneurial outlook.
7. Ability, willingness, and eagerness to contact donors and build
relationships with a variety of funders.
8. Proficiency with computers and software, including Excel.
Proficiency with CRM helpful.
9. Ability to work independently, efficiently and accurately, while
10. Ability to work well as part of a team.
11. Ability to work with a wide range of people at all levels and a
diversity of backgrounds.
12. Willingness to travel.
13. Willingness to work some nights and weekends.
14. Proficiency in graphic design a plus.
15. Proficiency in both online and direct mail fundraising a
16. Ability to maintain confidentiality of donor information.
17. Must be authorized to work in the US.
18. Ability to speak and write in Spanish preferred.
19. Experience working with international partners and staff
20. Experience working in conservation considered a plus.
21. Bachelor’s degree and at least three years’ experience in
fundraising, communications, marketing, or related work, or a
combination of relevant education and experience.
22. Background screening required.
• Benefits include medical, medical flex, and 403(b) plan.
• Paid vacation days (15), holidays (10+), and sick leave.
Please apply online at Bamboo HR: https://abcbirds.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=122
If you have any difficulties uploading your resume and cover
letter, then please send them as ONE document to
At American Bird Conservancy, we believe that a diversity of
backgrounds, perspectives, and skills makes us more effective. We
are committed to creating a respectful and inclusive work
environment for all of our employees.
As an equal opportunity employer, ABC is committed to ensuring
that employees and applicants for employment have equal
opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, ancestry,
sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical
condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
factor unrelated to the requirements of the position.