Senior Director, Development Operations
- USA for UNHCR
- District of Columbia, United States
- $146,500.00 - $201,438.00
- Closing date
- Feb 18, 2022
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Fundraising Administration, Other Fundraising
- Community Development, Technology
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer, the Senior Director, Development Operations works in close collaboration with USA for UNHCR leadership to help execute the development plan; leads efforts to implement new fundraising systems and processes to innovate and drive new revenue; and supports a culture of philanthropy at USA for UNHCR. S/he will be called on to make executive decisions on behalf of the Development team and will serve as a senior member of the fundraising team. The Senior Director will directly oversee the Business Systems and Donor Care teams and will provide hands-on leadership of the development operations to help to ensure that the organization has the right people, processes, and systems in place to critically monitor key KPIs; make data-driven fundraising decisions; and can implement fast corrections to make adaptions that drive toward improved performance. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in establishing and growing complex fundraising operations and managing teams for success. Excellent people and project management skills and experience with cross-functional coordination in a matrixed environment are critical to success. The ideal candidate is an experienced development operations professional with a demonstrated passion for USA for UNHCR’s mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Oversees the operations of the development office, and, in
collaboration with the CDO, recruits and builds a talented
• In concert with the CDO, build and guide strategies for a comprehensive development program.
• Creates and executes a development operations strategy that supports cross-functional and cross-channel development teams and oversees the systems and processes required to achieve fundraising excellence across all revenue-generation programs
• In collaboration with the CDO and CFO, develops the annual fundraising budget. Responsible for management and tracking of the overall budget.
• Oversees the annual department, team and individual work plan development process to ensure that individual and team work plans align toward organizational goals.
• In collaboration with the CDO, helps develop annual and long-term revenue targets and models, and establishes systems that follow best practices for tracking progress toward goals.
• Collaborates with the CDO to develop performance metrics to measure fundraising progress that support cross-functional and shared goals.
• Establishes and executes a series of regular reports and analysis on revenue and fundraising performance, including to support individual teams and equip fundraising managers with the decision-making tools to drive toward fundraising success.
• Design, enhance and/or implement processes and procedures to support the development team’s ability to respond to the needs of our donors, colleagues and organizational leadership. This may include: gift acceptance, CRM/database tracking, moves management, corporate allocations, donor agreements, MOUs, pledge forms, donor acknowledgement and receipts, prospect research and profiling, program-related donor engagement, donor privacy and more. Establish information management system and training on policies and standards for fundraising and/or broader team.
• As required and in tandem with individual teams, oversee the RFP and contracting of all development-related vendor relationships
• Partner with the Chief Financial Officer and Finance team to ensure the people, processes and systems are in place to support budgeting, financial reporting, and reconciliation. Collaborates closely with the CFO to oversee the UNHCR financial reporting process.
• Collaborate with The Hive to support a robust data analytics, AI and machine learning program that supports a data-driven approach to fundraising.
• Oversee the Business Systems Team and ensure excellent implementation of the CRM and other cross-functional development tools.
• Oversee the Donor Care Team to support efficient gift operations, donor/customer service and excellent donor stewardship.
• Develop, implement, and maintain a training program for fundraising teams on cross functional business systems, tools, and processes, including a robust Salesforce training and upskilling program.
• Develop new opportunities to use data to enhance our fundraising efforts
• Develop and implement strategies to take advantage of USA for UNHCR’s Strategic Framework
• Report regularly to the CDO on outcomes, efforts, and progress toward goals
• Research innovative approaches to fundraising processes and systems based on industry trends and drive adoption of new strategies, techniques, and tactics
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• At least 15 years of experience in development operations,
with 10+ years of experience leading development operations teams,
managing cross functional technology and/or business systems,
including overseeing medium to large scale CRM or ERP. Salesforce
or similar demonstrated CRM experience required.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
• Demonstrated, extensive knowledge of fundraising principles, practices and ethics across fundraising programs, operations and channels.
• Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) or demonstrated similar experience strongly preferred. Outstanding organizational and project management skills required.
• Business/Data Analytics experience required.
• Ability to respond quickly to time-sensitive situations
• Problem-solving approach that can meet immediate needs and drive toward longer-term, sustainable solutions.
• Demonstrated experience managing and mentoring teams for success.
• Superior critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in matrixed environments with senior leadership, Board members, staff, and volunteers, providing strong support and inspiring them to productive action
• Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, diverse, and demanding environment with constantly changing priorities due to newly emerging opportunities
• Familiarity with and demonstrated commitment to international human rights is essential
• Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve highly complex issues
• Consistently demonstrates professional maturity
• Consistently takes the initiative to accomplish work
• Demonstrates the ability to make sound decisions
• Ability to be flexible, collaborative and catalytic
• Consistently demonstrates patience
• Demonstrates passion for USA for UNHCR’s mission
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The tasks will generally be performed in a typical office environment. May also involve travel to some locations within the company’s region of operations and select donor locations.
**Please note, due to COVID-19, all employees are currently working remotely.**
USA for UNHCR has two office locations; Washington, DC (Headquarters) and New York, NY. This is not a remote position and will be filled in DC or NY.
$146,500 - $201,438
USA for UNHCR will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
USA for UNHCR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Refugees and all other protected classes are encouraged to apply.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert