Donor Engagement Officer
- Musical Instrument Museum
- Arizona, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Feb 18, 2022
- Position Type
- Executive, Fundraising, Annual Fund, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Donor Relations, Grant Seeking, Planned Giving, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Special Events, Programs, Community Outreach
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Musical Instrument Museum - MIM Fast Facts
- Location: Phoenix, Arizona
- Founded by Robert J. Ulrich, former CEO and chairman emeritus of Target Corporation.
- Executive Director April A. Salomon.
- 15-person Board of Directors.
- 12-person Advisory Board
- Opened on April 24, 2010.
- Designed by award‐winning architect Rich Varda, in collaboration with the Minneapolis and Phoenix firm of RSP Architects.
- 501(c)(3) nonprofit supported by individuals, foundations, and corporations, as well as Arizona Humanities Council, the Phoenix Office of Arts and Culture, and the Arizona Commission on the Arts.
- The World’s Only Global Musical Instrument Museum.
- Collection of nearly 16,000 instruments acquired from 200 countries and territories.
- Focus on 5 regions of the world: Africa and the Middle East; Asia and Oceania; Europe; Latin America and the Caribbean; and the United States and Canada.
- 300-seat Music Theater featuring nearly 300 concerts per year.
- Awards: The Best Museum in Arizona (Phoenix Magazine, 2021) #12 Museum in the US (TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Award), Phoenix Point of Pride, Community Champion IMPACT Award recipient, and many more!
MIM Orientation Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jrMN_EaTek
MIM 2018 Year in Review Video: https://youtu.be/qyVdNkBkMz4
The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul.
“The goal of the Musical Instrument Museum is to illuminate what is unique about cultures, and also what is shared and universal. MIM provides an experience like none other, allowing musical novices and experts, tourists and scholars, children and grandparents to hear, see, and feel the powerful and uniting force of music in an entirely new way.”
-Robert J. Ulrich, MIM Founder
MIM is the top attraction in Arizona, a one-of-a-kind immersive experience and industry leader using specialized technology elevate the guest experience. In addition to its galleries, MIM has an acoustically superb theater, concert series, museum store, and award-winning cafe.
The Museum Experience
Displays are enhanced by state-of-the-art audio and video technologies that allow guests to see the instruments, hear their sounds, and observe them being played in their original cultural contexts—performances that are often as spectacular as the instruments themselves. What’s more, all guests are invited to play instruments from around the world in the Experience Gallery. They can also see instruments from musical icons such as Stevie Ray Vaughn, Maroon 5, Johnny Cash, Celia Cruz, The Flecktones, Elvis Presley®, Carlos Santana, and many more in the Artist Gallery.
Guests are introduced to MIM through an Orientation Gallery on the 1st floor, which showcases the artistry, diversity, and movement of musical instruments across continents and cultures. On the second floor, guests venture into different regions of the world to discover the complete orchestra of a Chinese opera, a jazz ensemble, and a mariachi band, among others. To view a map of the building, click here.
Wireless “hot spots” around MIM provide loops of streamed music, immersing guests in the global sounds of musical instruments. Guests are given headsets and state-of-art guidePort technology to wear throughout the museum. As they approach each exhibit, they will hear music and see the instruments being played on high-resolution flat screens. The guidePort system is user-friendly for guests of all ages.
Reporting to the Museum’s Executive Director, the Donor Engagement Officer will be responsible for expanding and diversifying the current annual giving programs that include membership, direct mail, corporate, foundation, and individual giving objectives. This new position will work in partnership with key stakeholders including the Creative Director, marketing/communications team, Strategic Data Specialist, and Content Strategist to achieve ambitious contributed revenue goals that includes expanding donor base and increasing restricted giving that matches donor interest and program needs. Guided by a strategic impact plan, the DEO will help advance the mission of a leading cultural institution in Phoenix by engaging the community through outreach and programs that ignite engagement, stimulate awareness, and inspire advocacy of MIM.
The successful candidate will possess excellent interpersonal skills, keen attention to detail, and a strong work ethic, as well as a sincere passion for the value of MIM’s mission. The ideal candidate must be a creative and innovative thinker, demonstrate a service-oriented demeanor and will be motivated by planning, donor engagement, building stewardship structures, and the ability to innovate as MIM’s fundraising program enters its second decade.
Joining MIM’s Institutional Advancement team means advocating for and assisting in achieving long-term sustainability of a premiere cultural destination with a national and international reputation. As MIM approaches its twelfth year of operation, it is an exciting and pivotal moment in the museum’s history. This is a unique opportunity for an accomplished fundraising professional to join a world-class organization and exceptionally talented team that is advancing the mission of MIM for future generations.
- Advance the mission, vision, and short- and long-term goals of the Musical Instrument Museum
- Serve as an exemplary advocate in the community, with donors, museum colleagues, business and corporate partners, and other leaders and key constituents
- Be proactively involved in the advancement profession and represent MIM in its Arizona communities, as well as national and international venues, as appropriate
Primary Fundraising Activities
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Strategic Data Specialist in the development and execution of a unified annual fund with a goal of doubling the fund revenue by 2025
- Manage a portfolio of mid-level individual donors ($1,000-5,000) and institutional stakeholders through a robust Moves Management cycle by identifying, cultivating, planning, and participating in major donor engagement and solicitation
- Partner with Strategic Data Specialist to maximize donor and prospect research. Develop customized proposals to match donor interests with programs, initiatives, & opportunities at MIM
- Maintain and track accurate and updated donor information in Salesforce/PatronManager database and adhere to data entry standard procedures
- Secure corporate sponsorships for events, theater performances, exhibits, and other opportunities that include MIM’s key assets.
- Partner with MIM’s Content Strategist in the development of grant proposals and sponsorship requests as appropriate, for various prospects and donors
- Support growth of MIM’s Legacy Giving program through donor engagement and cultivation of planned and endowment gifts
- Participate in the development of future strategic fundraising plans, including capital campaigns, with the Executive Director, Advancement team, Creative, and senior leadership as appropriate.
- Partner with the Creative team to develop advancement collateral materials including annual donor report, membership brochures, website content, and e-communications.
- Work directly with MIM’s Advisory Board and Institutional Advancement committee to achieve fundraising goals through advocacy, community connections, and audience development
- Work collaboratively with various teams to execute fundraising and donor cultivation event opportunities, such as exhibition openings, museum tours, fundraising luncheons, concert previews, and other donor related events with some evening and weekend commitments
- Represent and advance MIM’s brand in the community at speaking engagements and events
- Identify fundraising and donor stewardship event opportunities and collaborate with MIM’s internal events team to plan and execute advancement-related events
The Ideal Candidate
- Possess creativity and flexibility in approaching fundraising
- Maintain the highest ethical standards and adhere to fundraising best practices
- Commit to high standards of professionalism, quality of work, and confidentiality
- Exceptional at problem solving, independent work, and exceling in a high-performance culture
- Excellent presentation, as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior experience with Salesforce/PatronManager CRM and DonorSearch software is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive
Highly competitive compensation & benefits package commensurate with requisite skills & qualifications.
For more information, please contact Kim Pritchard, Director of Human Resources at (480)478-6028, or apply here: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=618e6cec-0201-4f4a-8957-17b53a2a008e&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=420437&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert