As we prepare for a historic campaign, the Darden School
Foundation at the University of Virginia seeks an experienced
professional to join its Advancement team. The Associate Director
of Major Gifts is responsible for cultivating meaningful
relationships with a portfolio of prospective donors who have the
potential to make major gifts of $100,000 and above. This
individual works with development team members and others for
overall success of the Darden School Foundation fundraising efforts
including the Darden Annual Fund.
The Associate Director of Major Gifts at Darden is part of
a professional fundraising team that generates philanthropic
support for the School. Through these philanthropic efforts, Darden
is able to attract the brightest students, support our top-ranked
faculty and strengthen Darden’s Centers of Excellence.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and close gifts of $100,000+,
with agreed upon targeted yearly goals.
- Travels regularly to visit major gift prospects.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 150 major gift prospects
- Develops strategic cultivation plans for each assigned member
of the portfolio.
- Work with Senior Director to establish fundraising goals and
strategies for the Darden Annual Fund and major gift solicitations,
and to strengthen the major gift pipeline.
Successful candidates will have a proven track
record that includes:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in a major gifts
program including direct gift solicitation of five and six figure
gifts from individuals preferred: or comparable experience in other
- Demonstrated ability and documented record of individual
solicitation success in the non-profit, secondary or higher
- Experience working for a non-profit, foundation, or academic
- Experience and expertise in strategic planning.
- A complete understanding of philanthropy is required to perform
- Ability to relate to people of diverse backgrounds, training,
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
relationships with students, alumni, volunteers, staff, and the
- Skill in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgment,
discretion, and decision-making to achieve organizational
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a
goal-oriented team environment.
- Excellent research and writing skills with demonstrated ability
to communicate information to the public.
- Proficiency with Advance, Raiser’s Edge, or other fundraising
Please attach a cover letter and resume when applying
for this position.
The Darden School Foundation is an equal opportunity and
affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to age, color,
disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity
or expression), national or ethnic origin, race, religion,
pregnancy, veteran status, or genetic information. We participate
About Darden, the Darden School Foundation and
UVA’s Darden Graduate School of Business delivers Degree
Programs and Executive Education in its Charlottesville and
Washington D.C. locations, as well as at client sites around the
world. The Darden School Foundation is an independent, nonprofit,
tax-exempt corporation established in 1952 with the mission of
supporting and advancing the Darden School in its academic mission.
The Darden School Foundation provides this support through
promoting philanthropic support, managing endowment funds and
other assets for the School’s exclusive benefit, running Darden’s
top ranked Executive Education and Lifelong Learning programs, and
operating the Inn at Darden, Darden Sands Family Grounds in
Rosslyn, and Abbott Center in Charlottesville. An elected Board of
Trustees oversees the Foundation’s strategy and provides a critical
link between the Foundation, School, and business
The Darden School has been ranked the number one MBA
education experience in the world by The Economist magazine for
eight consecutive years, number one for campus environment and
faculty by Princeton Review, and number one for alumni satisfaction
with their MBA education by Forbes.
Nestled amid the foothills of the magnificent Blue
Ridge Mountains and about a hundred miles South of Washington,
D.C., the greater Charlottesville region offers a thriving
community and vanguard of arts and culture that’s both boldly
innovative and grounded in rich tradition. Charlottesville
consistently ranks as one of the top places in the country for
quality of life and was recently named America’s happiest city. A
wonderful place to raise a family, Charlottesville and Albemarle
County have schools that are consistently ranked top in