Reporting to the Vice President, Major Gifts and Special Events,
the Development Officer, Major Gifts will be an integral member of
the development team and will possess a blend of proven frontline
fundraising experiences with excellent donor relationship
development. The successful candidate will be responsible for
achieving an assigned annual revenue goal through the generation of
increased and new major gifts and the continuing cultivation of
annual donors and loyal patrons.
- Work closely with Development and program leadership to develop
and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan for major gift
donors and prospects.
- Manage a portfolio of 150+ donors throughout their gift cycle
including initiating contact from prospect status, development of
appropriate cultivation strategies, moving donors and potential
donors to close and/or upgrade gifts, make solo face to face
solicitations when appropriate, maintain stewardship contacts and
forge relationships with new major gift prospects with a particular
focus on those with capacity to make five and six-figure
- Work closely with select 92Y Center Directors to build
philanthropic communities and maximize fundraising opportunities
from within their respective constituencies.
- Draft compelling appeals and proposals to solicit renewed and
new major gifts as well as continual cultivation of annual donor
relationships with the 92Y.
- Manage, train and steward various volunteer committees.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the many aspects of gift stewardship
including planned giving and donation upgrades.
- Work collaboratively with entire development staff to ensure
the maximization of all fundraising opportunities.
- Offer prospect strategy counsel to staff and lay leadership
- Attend evening/weekend programs in order to steward/cultivate
current and new donors and to encourage further collaborative
fundraising partnerships with key program partners.
- Ability to articulate 92Y’s philosophy, mission and goals
- Perform other duties and tasks as related or assigned.
Education, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s preferred
- At least five years of related experience in a fast-paced
- Experience in a Jewish organization a plus.
- Strong track record of partnering with program staff to build
donor relationships and foster long-term philanthropic support
- A proven, successful, track record of closing five and six
figure gifts with a goal of attaining seven figures as well.
- Experience in committee development and volunteer management,
working with high-net worth individuals.
- Strong organizational skills and discipline in stewarding donor
information and maintaining database records.
- Ability to think creatively and entrepreneurially about ways to
fundraise for 92Y’s many diverse and unique program areas.
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards with the ability to
act with discretion, self-assurance and diplomacy.
- Sound judgment in maintaining strictest confidentiality of
- Willingness and desire to attend evening/weekend programming
activities in order to cultivate/steward key donors and
- Demonstrate a collegial disposition to achieve required results
with the ability to work positively in a flexible team
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and fundraising software,