Reports to: Chief
New York, NY
$83,500 - $100,900
Who We Are.
The Women’s Sports Foundation is ally, advocate and catalyst for
tomorrow’s leaders. We exist to enable girls and women to reach
their potential in sport and life. Founded by Billie Jean King in
1974, we are committed to achieving equality, diversity and
inclusion in sports, and value teamwork, resilience and
innovation. We are building a future where every girl and woman can
#KeepPlaying and unlock limitless possibilities through
the lifelong benefits of sport participation.
About the Opportunity.
The Director, Development will join an energetic and
collaborative team at the Women’s Sports Foundation (WSF) and play
an integral role in supporting the Foundation’s mission,
initiatives, and impact. We are looking for a resourceful
self-starter who thrives in a bustling and growing work environment
and shares our passion and vision.
The Director, Development raises approximately $3.75 million in
annual giving, major gifts, foundation grants, and an annual gala.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the role will direct
two signature events – WSF Giving Day in May and the Annual Salute
for Women in Sports in October – and will be involved other aspects
of development, including grant writing and reporting, and donor
stewardship and cultivation. Additionally, the Director will
develop and execute a new planned giving program.
We will count on you to:
- Annual Giving / Donor Engagement and
- Work with Chief Development Officer and Development Team to
create strategies to expand WSF’s donor base and increase annual
- In coordination with our direct and digital marketing company,
Sanky, develop strategies for a year-round series of direct mail
and digital fundraising campaigns that include: WSF Giving Day in
May, an early fall appeal, Giving Tuesday, year-end appeals,
- Develop and implement strategies to build donor relationships
and maximize each individual giving, while simultaneously growing
and advancing WSF’s pipeline of support.
- Track the WSF stewardship portfolios – i.e. individuals
assigned to staff for cultivation.
WSF Giving Day - Established in 2021, WSF Giving Day is
part of our annual fund development. It emulates the annual
fundraising days undertaken by universities and colleges, and seeks
to build a sense of community among WSF trustees, athletes, donors
and friends – i.e. our “alumni” – who are committed to our
- Plan, develop, and implement an increasingly ambitious and
creative fundraising program to solicit and acquire funds for the
WSF Giving Day.
- Work with CDO to identify matching gifts opportunities.
- Conceptualize and coordinate, with others, production of WSF
Giving Day video.
- Work with Communications and Community Impact to enlist
athletes, coaches and others to promote Giving Day.
Event Planning and Management
Oversee fundraising aspects of WSF’s signature event, the Annual
Salute to Women in Sports in mid-October. Assist in developing and
executing other events for donor cultivation.
Annual Salute to Women in Sports
- Drive sales strategy and attendee engagement efforts for this
event which has raised an average of $1.5 million in the past four
- Solicit members for the annual Gala Committee and manage their
fundraising efforts with input from the Development Committee.
- Direct Trustee engagement: gathering prospects, designing email
templates, and providing ticket and table sales information and
sponsorship materials, as needed.
- Build the event invite list and lead prospect research in
coordination with WSF CEO, Team and Committees.
- Oversee the development of event materials (i.e., table/ticket
sales forms, invitations, signage, journals, pledge cards) and
event promotion schedule in collaboration with Marketing and
- Devise in-room fundraising strategies including auctions,
raffles and floor-wide ask, and oversee associated vendors.
- Serve as liaison with WSF Leadership on all events and
development projects, engaging athlete participation and overseeing
- Develop stewardship strategies to convert event attendees into
ongoing WSF donors.
Proactively identify, cultivate, solicit, and build
relationships with foundation prospects in support of the WSF
mission and strategic plan:
- In response to RFPs, assemble required information and submit
grant proposals to foundations and corporate founders.
- Research foundations, resources, and databases to keep program
directors informed of RFP and other funding opportunities that
promote the mission of WSF.
- Initiate and develop communication with prospective funding
- Work in conjunction with other departments to develop
- Maintain an intense focus and high level of personal activity
including writing letters of inquiry and submission of grant
- Oversee gift acknowledgement, stewardship reports and related
- Track and ensure the successful fulfillment of foundation grant
requirements in concert with WSF Leadership.
- Develop and execute strategy to revive WSF’s planned giving
society, the Championship Club.
- Conduct research and identify potential planned giving
What makes you stand out.
The ideal candidate will possess a combination of skills,
experience, and passion in the following areas:
- Authentic interest in WSF’s mission and a passion for
philanthropy and women’s leadership.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- A generalist who has worked in almost all aspects of
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and a comfort in interacting
with diverse audiences including board members, colleagues, donors,
and other friends of WSF.
- Exceptional writing skills – able to write fluidly and to
convey both warmth and, when necessary, a sense of urgency for the
issue or project being promoted to a donor.
- Experience in writing winning grant proposals
- Knowledge and experience with fundraising software and
- Growth mindset
- An independent, strategic thinker with good judgment,
sensitivity, and common sense.
- A strong commitment to integrity.
- Proven ability to fundraise significant gifts.
- Knowledge of the philanthropic community.
- A solid understanding of fundraising databases as well as
overall Computer literacy and Microsoft Office is required.
What you need to have.
The ideal candidate must possess a combination of skills and
experiences in the following areas:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5-6 years of experience in development and/or fundraising.
What we offer.
In addition to a competitive salary based on experience, WSF
also offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Disability and lifeinsurance
- Pre-tax medical savings plan
- Generous PTO and leave policies
Currently, we are a hybrid workplace that is subject to change.
However, we provide a workplace that nurtures a culture that offers
a high degree of flexibility and enables our employees to keep
their life balanced.
The Women’s Sports Foundation values an inclusive team and
encourages individuals of diverse backgrounds and identities to
apply. The Women’s Sports Foundation is an equal opportunity
Your next steps.
For immediate consideration, please submit your application to
Please include the following:
- Your resume
- A cover letter that answers the following:
- What about WSF and our purpose is interesting to you and
- Describe your preferred work environment.
If you have questions, feel free to contact HR@WomensSportsFoundation.org.