Program Manager, Water Initiatives Fund
- DIGDEEP Right to Water Project
- California, United States
- $65,000.00 - $75,000.00
- Closing date
- May 17, 2022
- Position Type
- Programs, Community Outreach, Grant Administration, Program Administration and Management, Administrative, Other Administrative
- Advocacy, Community Development, Community Foundations, Environment, Health, Other Fields, Research
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Position: Program Manager, Water Initiatives Fund
Location: Los Angeles preferred, remote optional, frequent travel
Employment type: Full-time, salaried, exempt
Compensation Range: $65,000-$75,000 DOE
Level: Professional, Manager
Education/Experience Preferences: Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent professional experience preferred
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
Supported by: Program Managers, Project Managers, Finance Manager
Start Date: ASAP
We Are DigDeep
The DigDeep Right to Water Project is the only WaSH (water, sanitation, and hygiene) organization serving the 2.2+ million Americans who still don’t have a tap or a toilet at home.
DigDeep believes access to clean water is a human right. Today, we run several nationally recognized programs that empower communities to build their own water and sanitation systems. We won the 2018 US Water Prize for our Navajo Water Project, which has brought clean, running water to hundreds of Native families across New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. Dig Deep launched the Appalachia Water Project in July of 2020, which will bring clean, running water into the homes of Appalachia families across southwestern West Virginia and northeastern Kentucky. The project has already set up planning to work with PSD to install plumbing in approximately 150 homes in one section of McDowell County.
DigDeep is deeply committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. DigDeep is built on the principles of equity, transparency, and the power of human experience. Your work will improve the daily lives of real people – people you’re likely to meet. Every American should have the clean, running water they need to thrive. Join us, and we’ll close the US water gap in our lifetimes.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer (CPO), the Program Manager will manage DigDeep’s new Water Inspiration Fund and our Water is Life Program to advance community-led WaSH solutions. This position will support DigDeep’s mission by managing a grant distribution program that provides critical funds that fill a gap in providing water and sanitation access to communities and partners. The work is both strategic and tactical, visionary, and detail-oriented and requires flexibility, forward-thinking, creativity, curiosity, patience, a discerning-eye, and efficiency.
The Program Manager is responsible for actively participating in the development and completion of grant cycles, ensuring quality and effectiveness of DigDeep’s Water Inspiration Fund and Water is Life program, including seeking out appropriate opportunities for the funds to be used most effectively, vetting opportunities, and maintaining positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, The right candidate is passionate about the difference that can be made with the right funds at the right time, and eager to design and manage a process for managing a large volume of small, medium, and high level grants.
This job is full-time and based in Downtown Los Angeles, at DigDeep HQ (remote optional). It involves frequent travel to program sites across the US.
This is what you’ll do once you join the team:
1. Design Grant Process
You will collaborate with the Chief Program Officer (CPO) to plan the vetting process, selection criteria, and a monitoring and evaluation framework to serve people in need of water and sanitation with excellence and efficiency.
- Work with the CPO, Project Managers, and staff to coordinate the timing and execution of individual grants.
- Develop a pipeline of grant distribution opportunities in line with DigDeep’s mission.
- Continually improve the grant process by evaluating the impact of past grants, lessons learned, and upcoming opportunities.
2. Distribute Grant Funds
You will lead the selection process for fund recipients and distribute the appropriate funds.
- Research and vet opportunities referred by program and headquarter staff.
- Routinely visit project sites to conduct research, monitor implementation, and evaluate impact.
- Work closely with the finance and legal team to conduct appropriate due diligence including: reviewing proposals and budgets to ensure compliance with DigDeep policies, distributing timely and accurate funds, monitoring the progress of grants through the pre-award, award, and post-award phases, and reporting on the impact of those funds.
3. Steward Resources and Relationships
- Collaborate with the Chief Program Officer and Project Managers to develop an annual program budget; participate in quarterly budget update and analysis.
- Collaborate closely with the development team to maximize all revenue and storytelling opportunities, especially those related to major donor cultivation and annual campaigns.
- Foster an environment that promotes excellence, trust, and cooperation among staff, community members, and partner organizations.
4. External Representation
- Represent the organization to external partners and constituents and participate in community meetings, subject matter briefings, WaSH sector collaborations, and donor engagement.
As the organization continues to evolve, duties or tasks may change without impacting the overall Job Description.
- Demonstrates Cultural and Contextual Awareness: Knowledgeable and experienced in effective community development projects, especially regarding appropriate program strategies for rural, low and middle-income contexts.
- Excellent Communicator: You clearly express yourself verbally and in writing. You creatively plan and deliver written communications, utilizing graphics, statistics, and language in such a way as to have maximum impact on the intended audience.
- Builds Collaborative Relationships: You develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships inside and outside the organization with those who can provide information, assistance, and support in furtherance of the organization’s mission. Your team management skills include a strong vision and clear direction, sound judgment, good communication and conflict management skills. You’re culturally sensitive and have experience supporting the development of diverse, inclusive and equitable work environments, including an openness for learning.
- Managing Change: You’re a creative thinker with the ability to innovate and are comfortable in a rapidly evolving organization. Effectively navigates uncertainties and incomplete information with a problem-solving mindset to identify appropriate strategies, creatively apply solutions.
- Fostering Innovation: You are innovative and adaptive and believe anything is figure-out-able. You propose and implement your own ideas and suggestions in order to develop and streamline processes.
- Results Oriented: You are a self-starter. You develop clear goals for self, team, and projects. You maintain commitment to goals, and employ creative, strategic solutions in the face of obstacles. Eager to take on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency and enthusiasm. You have proven experience with managing complex timelines for multiple project proposals at once and the management skills to hold collaborating team members to these timelines.
- Technical Expertise: You have demonstrated ability and depth of knowledge with the technology in the desired technical area. You effectively use and apply technical knowledge, and use your knowledge to identify solutions to existing problems.
- Values Aligned: Behaves ethically and in alignment with the values of the organization. Consistently follows through on commitments and lives our values of equality, transparency, and experience. You're driven by a desire to make our country (and our world) a better place to live.
We want to hear from you if you have:
- 3 years of experience in grant management or program management required
- 5+ years of relevant non-profit experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- High degree of attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Fluent in English required; fluent in Spanish and/or Navajo fluency is preferred.
- Flexibility to travel up to 30% of the time and attend meetings and events outside of regular business hours required
- Proficiency on both PC and Mac, Google Business suite, Microsoft Office suite required
- Proficiency on Slack, Zoom, Asana, Airtable preferred
Compensation and Benefits
At DigDeep, we believe that great work requires a great job. We pride ourselves on creating industry-leading employment opportunities for our team across the United States. We’re a supportive environment that values creativity, diversity and quick-thinking. Here’s how we’ll support you in your work:
- Salary competitive and commensurate with level of experience
- Generous paid vacation and sick leave
- 23 weeks paid Parental Leave
- Annual Professional Development Stipend
- Medical, dental, vision insurance, 100% employer paid
- One Medical membership
- Life insurance, 100% employer paid
- Work laptop
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- Domestic travel
- 401k retirement plan, with employer match
To apply, please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume.
Please note that DigDeep cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position. No office visits. No calls please. Thank you.
DigDeep is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. DigDeep is built on the principles of equity, transparency and the power of human experience. Your work will improve the daily lives of real people. We believe everybody should have the clean, running water they need to thrive. Join us, and we’ll close the US water gap in our lifetimes.
DigDeep is a certified Great Place to Work®
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert