Reporting to the Deputy Director of Alumni Affairs and
Development, the Assistant Director of Annual Giving works as a
collaborative member of the Alumni Affairs and Development team to
promote and advance The Cooper Union's goals of financial
sustainability, excellence and merit, access and affordability and
• Design and implement annual fundraising appeals, events and
ongoing communications plan to increase donations raised at the
<$1,000 level with expected annual goals to achieve each
• Upgrade donors to Innovator level supporters ($1,000 -
• Manage Cooper Union membership programs such as the Friends of
the Great Hall and Friends of the Library.
• Under supervision of Vice President of Alumni Affairs and
Development develop a communications plan by collaborating closely
with colleagues in Development, Alumni Affairs, Communications, and
other stakeholders to leverage institutional messages integrating
mission statements, institutional priorities, milestones and
special events, community goals and achievements in all
communications including direct mail, email marketing, website
content, and college leadership correspondence.
• Enhance the Alumni Affairs and Development website, CRM and email
marketing systems to increase prospects, cultivate current donors
and prospects, and increase engagement among all
• Create and send biweekly 5 Things newsletter in addition to other
regularly scheduled communications as needed and increase
newsletter database for cultivation.
• Work with outside consultants to bring best practices in
prospecting solicitation and cultivation
• Scout, learn and test new systems for donor engagement and
• Liaise with IT to troubleshoot systems and establish best
practices for department’s communication channels.
• Assist colleagues in drafting and editing department
• Other related duties as required or assigned by the Deputy
Director or Vice President of Alumni Affairs and Development.
• Strong knowledge of development concepts, fundraising
techniques, especially those related to annual giving success
• Strong writing skills, passion for writing a plus
• Superior collaborative, interpersonal and communications skills,
including a proven ability to interact with donors, board members,
other colleagues, and department personnel.
• Computer proficiency in CRMs, digital marketing systems, and
Microsoft Office as well as ability to quickly learn new
• Ability to work independently, prioritize work and manage
• Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Good typing and proofreading skills
• Good with numbers and detail-oriented
• Sound judgment and discretion
• Strong team player
• Reliable and punctual
• Writing samples will be requested
• A Bachelor's Degree with experience in Development
This is a unionized position.
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art is
an Equal Opportunity Employer.