Marketing and Communications Manager
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is a multi-disciplinary artist
retreat uniquely serving artists, the creative process, and the
community. The mission of the Hermitage is to inspire and
foster the most influential and culturally consequential art and
artists of our time. Located on a nine-acre beachfront
campus in Manasota Key at the southern tip of Sarasota County,
Florida, we provide diverse and accomplished artists with
multi-week residencies to create new works of art, theater, music,
literature, and more. Hermitage Fellows have frequently described
their experiences as “life-changing” and “transformative,”
regularly noting that they accomplish more in any two weeks at the
Hermitage than they otherwise might in two years. The award-winning
original works created at the Hermitage are presented in renowned
concert halls, theaters, museums, and galleries throughout our
region and across the globe. In addition to the unique and
invaluable experience we provide to artists, we take pride in our
complementary missions of historic preservation, ecological
restoration, and dynamic community engagement.
Artistic Director and CEO: Andy Sandberg
The Hermitage Artist Retreat seeks a Marketing and
Communications Manager with demonstrated marketing, design, and
communication skills with a deep knowledge of the various methods
and tools to broadly execute our brand and media strategy. Over the
last two years, the Hermitage has nearly tripled its revenue,
staff, and programming; introduced dozens of new partnerships
throughout Sarasota County and across the United States; and
launched a new annual theater commission. The future is bright with
expectations that this growth will continue. The successful
candidate should be passionate about having a role in a fast-paced,
energized, and rapidly growing arts organization that is looking to
make a significant and sustainable impact in both our community and
the national artistic landscape.
The Hermitage is the only major arts organization in the
Gulf Coast region exclusively committed to the development and
creation of new work across all artistic disciplines. Sarasota
County is one of the fastest growing economies in the country, with
the arts playing a pivotal role in the culture, community, and
prosperity of the region.
Reporting directly to the leadership of the organization, the
Marketing and Communications Manager will coordinate, develop, and
implement marketing strategies, tools, timelines, and campaigns.
This individual will be responsible for managing and executing all
media advertising and press relations. This includes promotion for
the Hermitage’s 50-60 annual programs and events, artist-media
relations, and the overall branding of the organization.
Additionally, this position will help to promote the organization’s
mission and identity through the thoughtful and detail-oriented
creation and placement of print materials, news stories, website
notices, social media, news releases, and other assets. The
Hermitage offers a broad array of programs and a group of diverse
artists with a local, regional, and national brand. This role will
effectively market and communicate news and information – through a
wide array of platforms including email, print and media,
television and radio, social media, and other digital mediums – to
new, existing, and diverse audiences to maximize attendance at
events and engagement with the Hermitage brand and mission.
- Create, produce, and oversee a broad array of promotional,
marketing, and communication materials for the organization across
print and digital platforms.
- Build, maintain, and engage an active media list for regular
press communications surrounding frequent year-round programs and
- Draft, edit, and proof press releases on behalf of the
organization, in line with the voice and vision of the
organization’s Artistic Director and CEO.
- Manage the timeline of marketing and communication strategies,
ranging from eblasts and social media postings to print mailings
and distribution of materials.
- Manage and implement the media and advertising plan for the
organization, including any media partnerships and sponsorships, as
well as paid print and digital media.
- Create and design marketing and advertising materials that
present a clear, unified, and positive image for the mission,
organization, and brand, in line with the vision of the Hermitage’s
- Plan, prepare, and place original promotional content such as
articles, news and press releases, email, website and social media
posts, and other updates on behalf of the organization.
- Arrange for photography and/or press coverage for programs and
events, and oversee relationships with any freelance
- Capture, organize, and capitalize on archival photographs,
videos, press clippings, quotes, and other valuable media
- Create and coordinate multimedia packages and resources;
manage, research, and organize all existing and future photo and
video materials, logos and branding, press clippings, and other
- Manage contracted individuals and resources for supplemental
graphic design, public relations, and website, as needed.
- Represent the organization in a variety of settings and events,
always promoting the company in the best possible way.
- Maintain positive relationships with media outlets,
institutional partners, and other constituencies.
- Attend and participate in Hermitage programs, special events,
and other ‘all hands on deck’ activities.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- A passion for the Hermitage’s mission and the organization’s
commitment to supporting artists, the creative process, and the
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication
skills; strong editing and proofreading skills are essential.
- The ability to represent the interests of the Hermitage and the
voice of its Artistic Director/CEO accurately to artists, partners
and collaborators, and other constituents.
- Graphic design and editing skills a strong plus.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with diplomacy and
- Facility in managing multiple priorities and time-sensitive
- Organizational and project-planning skills are paramount, as is
the management and coordination of multiple institutional
- A sense of ambition, initiative, and ‘hustle.’
- Appreciation and understanding of the arts.
- The ability to take accurate notes, summarize and retain
information, and seamlessly translate them into future
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends, as needed, in support
of artist programs and donor events on campus and throughout our
- Proficiency with management software, including database,
communication, and event management programs.
- Proficiency with all Microsoft Office, Google G-Suite
applications, Zoom and other relevant applications; familiarity
with Salesforce a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent, or higher.
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is an equal opportunity
employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an
inclusive environment for all employees, artists, guests, and
members of our community.
Location of position: The Hermitage Artist
Retreat on Manasota Key (Englewood, Florida / Sarasota County)
Please note: this is a full-time position, and non-local
candidates would be expected to relocate.
Salary and benefits: Salary commensurate with
experience. Full benefits plan includes medical, dental, and
vision, plus an IRA match. A relocation bonus may be provided, as
To apply, please submit:
- Cover Letter
- Three References
Submit Applications to: Jobs@HermitageArtistRetreat.org
Application Deadline: We are seeking to fill this position as
soon as possible. Interested candidates are asked to submit their