MiracleFeet is a global nonprofit working to eliminate a leading
cause of physical disability worldwide. Over two million children
live with the severe consequences of a treatable birth defect known
as clubfoot, and 200,000 more babies are born with it every year.
Thanks to a non-surgical solution called the Ponseti method, 95
percent of cases can be fully treated for less than U$500. Since
2010, MiracleFeet has scaled this proven, low-cost treatment to 29
countries where children previously had limited or no access to
care. Still, today fewer than one in five has access to
To end the disability cause by untreated clubfoot, MiracleFeet
will need to raise approximately U$200M over the next 15-20
years. To lead this effort, we are seeking a dynamic,
strategic leader for the critical role of Senior Director of
Development and Communications (SDD). The SDD will provide the
vision, leadership, and strategic direction for the organization’s
fundraising and marketing efforts, and spearhead ambitious growth
of its annual fundraising targets, from approximately U$8M to
This is an exciting opportunity for a collaborative and
entrepreneurial leader, experienced people manager, and
accomplished fundraiser to play a critical role in dramatically
improving the lives of children born with clubfoot around the
This individual will be a mission-focused, well-rounded, and
creative development professional serving on MiracleFeet’s
leadership team. Reporting to the President, they will
oversee a cross-functional team of development and marketing
professionals responsible for fundraising, strengthening the
organizational brand, and communicating MiracleFeet’s mission,
programs, and success to donors and other external audiences.
They will have experience mobilizing resources from a diverse and
growing portfolio of individuals, foundations, corporate, and
government funders; supporting building the brand and telling the
story for an ambitious, uncompromising, and passionate
organization; and working closely with staff, leadership, board and
other supporters to achieve annual and multi-year revenue
This is a full-time, exempt position based in MiracleFeet’s
Chapel Hill, North Carolina office or anywhere remote, preferably
in the U.S. (Candidates based outside the U.S. will also be
- Establish a strategic vision and operational plan for
MiracleFeet’s fundraising and marketing activities.
- Develop and lead fundraising and marketing strategies that
support sustainable funding for MiracleFeet’s long-term growth and
elevate MiracleFeet’s profile nationally and internationally as a
leader in the disability, global health, and child rights
- Spearhead development efforts to diversify funding sources and
fund an annual operating budget of U$8M and growing; solicit major
gifts from high-net-worth donors
- Continue legacy of stewarding donors with high level of
authenticity and transparency, with particular attention given to
long-time major donors to ensure continued support.
- Work with CEO and President to evaluate and prioritize major
funding opportunities according to alignment with MiracleFeet
priorities and fit with the mission, balancing opportunity, return,
risk, and probability.
- Own and lead the MiracleFeet brand across donor, digital, and
external communications. Act as key external representative for
MiracleFeet to build awareness and support.
- Serve on MiracleFeet’s leadership team, helping shape overall
organizational goals and operating plans.
- Provide strong leadership for the marketing-communications and
fundraising staff by:
- building and/or refining appropriate systems, tools and
processes to support the team’s work and ensure effective
- supporting the team’s ability to develop and deliver on
fundraising and marketing goals and targets
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work to be performed by the individual
in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of
all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the
position. Employees may have other duties assigned at any
- Bachelor’s degree and 15+ years of experience in fundraising
and communications or external relations for social justice, global
health, international development, or other humanitarian
- Experience leading teams of fundraising and communication
professionals, with strong ability to authentically engage and
inspire others, and manage individuals to achieve results.
- Successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating,
soliciting, and stewarding major gifts from individual and
institutional donors at the level of six to seven-figures.
- A passion for MiracleFeet’s mission and partner-driven model,
and experience leading a department that raises >U$8 million in
annual revenue comprised of annual giving, major and planned
giving, corporate, foundation and board relations.
- Desire to be part of an entrepreneurial, fast growing,
- Strong desire and ability to travel within the U.S. and
internationally, at least 20% of the time, to meet with donors and
visit MiracleFeet-supported programs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience partnering with senior executives and building
relationships with organizational representatives at the highest
level, including board.
- Knowledge of and fundamental adherence to the principles,
ethics, and best practices of modern fundraising, including the
integration of various giving programs to diversify the funding
base and cultivate greater donor commitments.
- Demonstrated success in developing a strong and winning case
for support, as well as a successful communications plan, and in
making strategic, innovative fundraising plans, and executing those
plans to grow fundraising and exceed goals.
- High-energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexible, strong
initiative, team-oriented. Willingness to roll up sleeves, model
leadership in action and engage with team at all levels (a
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills; ability to
write and edit clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive
proposals, as well as to develop and deliver compelling donor
- Experience working in international settings or organizations
- Detail-oriented with strong project management skills in
planning, prioritizing, and coordinating multiple projects
simultaneously while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced
- Experience raising funds from high-net-worth individuals,
family foundations and large institutional donors.
- Capable of extracting and analyzing data to make effective,
efficient decisions about donor strategy and
process. Experience and comfort with budgets and quantitative
- A forward thinker with a track record of utilizing new methods
of constituent engagement and connectivity, who will be driven by
innovation in developing development best practices in the current
and post-COVID-19 world.
- Experience working with board members to unlock their
- U$160K+ based on experience and credentials
- Health insurance provided
- Three weeks of vacation per year
- Optional dental and vision insurance
- 401K plan available; employer match offered
- Life insurance and disability insurance provided
Please submit your detailed cover letter and
Once you submit your application, you should receive a
notification confirming your materials were received. If you do not
receive this automatic message, please contact email@example.com. We also
recommend you add firstname.lastname@example.org to
your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.
Please no phone calls.
Applications will be accepted until May 15, 2022, or until
the position is filled. The preferred (but negotiable) start date
is mid- to late June. MiracleFeet is committed to creating a
diverse environment and actively encourages candidates from diverse
backgrounds to apply. The qualifications above are
illustrative of the type of candidate we are looking for, but we
encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all the items listed
MiracleFeet is an equal opportunity employer and considers
applicants for all positions without regard to race, color,
religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital
or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally
MiracleFeet is committed to safeguarding and promoting the
welfare of children and expects all employees to share this
MiracleFeet is committed to our organizational values of
Collaboration, Ambition, Integrity, and Justice. We demonstrate
collective behaviors that make us unique.