Mizzou Advancement is looking for the connectors, the believers
that all things are possible when passionate people come together
for a common goal.
Are you that person? If so, come and join a growing team of
connectors who are building a brighter future for the University of
Missouri, an institution on the rise as it takes a stronger
foothold in research and health care to address today’s grand
challenges. Mizzou is a place where Big Ideas are taking hold.
Advancement finds the Big Dreamers that make it all possible.
We present an exciting opportunity with the Regional Advancement
team. The Senior Director of Advancement will join an enthusiastic
and energetic team committed to connecting Big Ideas and Big
Dreamers. The ideal candidate is a seasoned, independent-working,
motivated individual who will use best fundraising practices to
bring donors together for the greater good through the University
Best practices to identify, evaluate, cultivate, solicit and
steward prospective and current donors, alumni and friends of the
University with a philanthropic capacity of $50k and higher will
lead this candidate to success. This experienced candidate, with a
proven record of securing major and planned gifts, is expected to
have a high level of annual productivity for contacts, visits,
proposals presented and closed. Through a collaborative
approach, this candidate will partner with Advancement colleagues
in the schools, colleges and programs to coordinate strategy and
This is a non-supervisory remote position based in
the Kansas City metro area and will work out of their
home within the territory. Regular trips to campus (minimum of 4)
to engage with Advancement and campus colleagues are required. This
position will report to the Executive Director of Regional
- Identify, evaluate, cultivate, solicit, and steward
prospective, current and past donors through personal visits and
various types of direct communication
- Foster meaningful relationships to cultivate and solicit major
and planned gifts at the $50,000 level and higher through a
portfolio of 60-100 individual donors.
- Approximate annual metrics for a Senior Director level position
- Minimum $2M+ raised
- 12-18 proposals presented; 7-15 closed
- 100-125 substantive visits (15-30 evaluation visits)
- 125+ substantive contacts
- Manage regular correspondence and proposals with prospective
- Successfully manage a portfolio of 60-100 individual donors,
creating a strategy for moving them through the charitable giving
- Responsible for contacting donors to request visits and
coordinate meeting arrangements.
- Coordinate individual travel and manage travel budget and
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively across campus
with unit Advancement colleagues, deans/leadership, faculty and
staff as well as central Advancement colleagues in Planned Giving,
Donor Relations, Mizzou Alumni Association, Mizzou Annual Fund, and
Corporate and Foundation Relations.
- Use a data-driven approach for researching prospects and
- Assist with and participate in donor activities and events in
- Provide input and leadership in the development and
implementation of advancement goals and objectives and assure
alignment with the University’s priorities, mission, vision and
- Seek out and engage in professional development opportunities
to increase skills and knowledge of fundraising.
- Participate in Advancement staff meetings, prospect strategy
meetings, case management, annual planning, and regular check
ins/progress updates toward goals.
- Assist with training new staff through joint travel and
Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Remote
position based in the Kansas City metro
area and will work out of their home within the
territory. Regular trips to campus (minimum of 4) to engage with
Advancement and campus colleagues are required.
Some nights and weekends when needed; Extensive in state and
some out of state travel
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education
and experience and at least 6 years of experience from which
comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of six years of progressively
responsible major gift fundraising, preferably in academic higher
education and participation in a capital/comprehensive campaign.
Familiarity with and/or a strong connection to the University of
Missouri-Columbia is highly preferred.
Advanced degree and/or CFRE, ACFRE, certificate in fundraising or
non-profit management preferred.
- Candidates should be able to present a proven track record of
soliciting and closing major, planned and blended gifts five
figures and higher, with the capability to work effectively with
- Experience with “moves management” or related strategic
- Working knowledge all types of giving vehicles and tax laws
related to charitable giving
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities, be
self-motivated and disciplined.
- Outstanding collaboration as a member of a team, while having
the ability to work independently.
- Strong organizational skills are required, exemplary
interpersonal and written communication skills are essential.
- Additional important characteristics include a strong work
ethic, personal integrity, emotional intelligence, professionalism,
sound judgement, strategic thinking, detail oriented, and a
commitment to the mission and values of the University of
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and wireless service in
order to carry out the responsibilities associated with the