United Way of Northeast Florida
& Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Position: President & Chief Executive Officer
Company: United Way of Northeast Florida
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Reporting Relationship: Board of Directors
United Way of Northeast Florida
1924, United Way of Northeast Florida (UWNEFL) has been a leader in
creating lasting change and positive impact by bringing together
people, resources, and ideas to solve the community’s toughest
challenges. UWNEFL works in partnership with a network of more than
80 local non-profit partners and funders across 5 counties to
achieve its vision of a community of opportunity where everyone has
hope and can reach their full potential. Annually, the organization
raises and invests more than $25 million in the community impacting
one out of every three people in Northeast Florida. UWNEFL’s goal
is to increase economic mobility in the region by focusing on three
impact areas: addressing basic needs, improving financial
stability, and ensuring racial equity.
Through its funding and guidance of nonprofits—as well as its
data-driven thought leadership and operation of foundational
community programs—UWNEFL is not only seen as a premier non-profit
leader in Northeast Florida but is also recognized nationally—both
in the United Way Worldwide system and by change makers seeking to
move the needle. In 2021, MacKenzie Scott recognized the
organization’s long track record of success with an unrestricted
gift of $20 million to further advance the organization’s vision,
mission, and work.
The United Way of Northeast Florida is a 501(c)3 nonprofit
organization and is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. As
one of over 1,800 United Way Worldwide (UWW) local affiliates,
UWNEFL is fully compliant with all local, state, federal, and UWW
The incoming President & CEO will play a pivotal role in
continuing to enhance both the organization’s rich and proud
history of community leadership and engagement as well as its
overall impact and reach by serving as a strategic thought leader,
fundraiser, advocate, and convener.
UWNEFL Vision and
Vision: To create a
community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach
their full potential.
Mission: To solve our community’s toughest challenges
by connecting people, resources, and ideas.
In delivering on this vision and accomplishing its mission,
UWNEFL believes in:
- Driving action, creating awareness, and improving the community
by connecting people, resources and ideas.
- Creating collective solutions that address both immediate needs
as well as systemic issues.
- Increasing economic mobility by focusing on racial inequities
and generational poverty.
- Providing access to basic needs such as housing, food, and
- Building financial stability through increased assess to early
childhood education and increased educational attainment, workforce
development, and asset building.
The next President
and CEO (CEO) will provide inspirational leadership and effective
organizational oversight aimed at advancing UWNEFL’s community
impact and overall reach. In this highly visible role, the CEO will
effectively engage with a broad set of stakeholders in the
nonprofit, business, government, donor, and United Way Worldwide
communities. As such, they must build and lead a highly effective
organization and be known for the breadth of their relationships,
influence, and impact.
Through strong leadership and strategic oversight, the CEO is
responsible for the achievement of all major strategic goals and
objectives of the organization. To this end, the CEO will provide
overall operational oversight for UWNEFL’s programs, fundraising,
volunteer base, external relationships with numerous stakeholders,
and finances with the support of 70 staff. In achieving the
overarching objectives of UWNEFL, the CEO will engage the talents
of a diverse team of high-performing leaders, staff, and
volunteers. In addition, the CEO will also leverage the power of
relationships and networks in working across private, public, and
corporate sectors to garner support, raise funds, and build
capacity to further the goals and objectives of the
The CEO is responsible for maintaining strong working
relationships—collectively and individually—with the Board of
Directors, which provides oversight and strategic direction to the
CEO and the rest of the management team. The next leader will also
work closely with the Board of Directors on governance of the
organization, including succession planning for the
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Community and Organizational Leadership
- Providing the necessary visioning and strategic thinking to
propel the organization forward in building capacity to meet the
current and future needs of the community.
- Energizing others to commit to the mission and vision of UWNEFL
by driving innovation and effective community partnership.
- Serving as an effective advocate; passionately and effectively
conveying the vision and mission of UWNEFL and the importance it
plays within the community at large.
- Providing effective donor relationship management; seeking and
building relationships with organizations and individuals who want
to invest their financial resources in furthering UWNEFL’s
- Championing racial equity, diversity, and inclusion;
acknowledging that racism exists in the northeast Florida region
and beyond as well as embracing the significant role UWNEFL can
play in addressing racial disparities and raising awareness of the
- Understanding that the community is best served when racial
equity, diversity, and inclusion is prioritized and embedded into
organizational structures, culture, programs, and processes.
- Encouraging a workplace environment that inspires a culture of
inclusion and belonging.
- Fostering talent development by building, developing, and
continually improving individual and team abilities through
coaching, mentoring and advising; empowering the executive
- Championing change and demonstrating a willingness and ability
to initiate, sponsor, and lead change initiatives.
Resource & Relationship Engagement
- Serving as a strong collaborator; developing networks, building
alliances, and convening a wide range of community stakeholders for
the benefit of the overarching mission and achievement of
organizational strategic objectives.
- As an energetic fundraiser, bringing a creative and
entrepreneurial approach to revenue generation; securing
significant investment from a variety of different sources in order
to diversify the current funding stream and grow capacity.
- Operating with political astuteness; understanding and
navigating the local and state political landscape and how it
impacts the organization’s mission and strategy objectives.
- Serving as a results-oriented leader setting
performance-related expectations and goals while empowering the
team with appropriate authority and accountability.
- Providing effective organizational financial management and
strategic resource allocation; setting long-term and annual
financial plans and budgets that align with the strategic
objectives of the organization.
- Serving as the brand ambassador; continually managing the brand
and messaging as a strategic asset that needs to be
- Providing effective human capital management; effectively
leading and overseeing the team, with a focus on organizational
development, management empowerment, staff engagement, and
- Acting as a technology-savvy leader with a strong appreciation
and understanding of how technology can benefit and progress
UWNEFL’s mission and strategic objectives.
Exemplary Values and Personal Attributes
- Bringing a strong, unbridled passion for the mission and work
of UWNEFL and the role it plays within the broader community.
- Engendering trust with the innate ability to build confidence
and credibility to develop productive and fulfilling
- Leading by example with an achievement-oriented focus and
demonstrating uncompromising accountability, courage, and
self-confidence, even in the face of adversity.
- Always operating with an unwavering commitment to integrity and
- Demonstrating adaptability and openness to alternative
solutions and flexibility when interacting with others;
understanding their needs, interests, and perspectives.
- Desiring continuous learning and improvement; analyzing
personal strengths and weaknesses and developing a plan for
- Maintaining a welcoming and inclusive stance in networking and
partnering with all stakeholders including broad and diverse
representation of private/public and traditional/non-traditional
- Engaging and collaborating with the Board and other
organizational volunteers to set the overarching strategic
direction so that UWNEFL continues to address the ongoing needs
within the community.
- Maintaining a strong, trusting, and collaborative partnership
with the Board to shape the future of the organization.
- Participating with the Board to identify, recruit and cultivate
new members and committee chairs who align with the organization’s
values and strategic objectives.
- Overseeing the preparation of annual operating plans and
budgets for the Board to review and approve.
- Providing regular updates on all current strategic,
operational, and programmatic matters and future
Professional Experience and
The successful candidate
will be an innovative and enthusiastic leader with a strong passion
and commitment to the mission of the United Way. The next CEO
must be a credible and proactive leader with demonstrated
executive-level experience within an organization of similar size,
scale, and complexity. The ideal candidate will have at least 10
years of experience directing an organization including cultivating
skills in strategic planning, operational oversight, and
The CEO should possess the following characteristics:
- An inspirational leader with the ability to build and maintain
collaborative relationships with community partners and local
- A charismatic leader who will serve as a strong advocate in
promoting the mission of the UWNEFL with key stakeholders.
- A visionary leader who can effectively partner with the Board
of Directors in order to set the long-term strategy and to grow
capacity and overall reach within the community.
- An ability to leverage the diverse talents of a dynamic and
engaged volunteer Board of Directors.
- Experience and expertise in the community-impact issues
reflected in UWNEFL’s vision, mission, and strategic
- Experience in successfully managing and engaging a sizable
- A demonstrated track record of promoting diversity, equity, and
- Demonstrated success in fundraising, growing revenue, and
increasing philanthropic support.
- Demonstrated success in community building and in developing
and maintaining productive partnerships with the public sector as
well as for-profit and non-profit organizations.
- Demonstrated superior ability to work with volunteers and/or
- An understanding of the importance of technology in information
management, with the ability to drive a technology strategy for an
- Proven management, business, financial, and fundraising
- A keen analytical mindset, critical thinking, and
problem-solving that enables sound decision-making.
- Strong professional ethics, integrity, and accountability in
- Experience with non-profit fundraising and working with a
non-profit board a plus.
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university is
required. An advanced degree is preferred.
A competitive compensation
package will be made available to the selected candidate.
information on beautiful, sunny Jacksonville, please visit:
Facts - Visit Jacksonville.
qualified candidates are welcome to submit a resume and cover
It is the policy of the United Way of Northeast Florida to
provide equal opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants
without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age,
religion, disability, or national origin. It is their policy is to
employ individuals solely on the basis of qualifications, to
recognize each person as an individual throughout the period of
employment with their organization, and to provide fair and equal
treatment for all employees and applicants for employment
regardless of their race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age,
religion, disability, or national origin.