In collaboration with Executive Director, the Major Gifts
Officer will manage a portfolio of current individual funders and
prospects by designing and developing solicitation strategies,
identifying new funding opportunities, personally soliciting gifts,
and continually stewarding major gift donors.
The ideal candidate has a passion for the mission of Fonkoze,
empowering women and extending financial and non-financial services
to families throughout rural Haiti. We are an equal opportunity
employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and
experiences to apply. In theory and practice, we value and are
committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an
organization--and our culture reflects that value and
This is a hybrid position based in DC. Fully remote candidates
will not be considered.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
As our Major Gifts Officer, you will be responsible for managing
and cultivating relationships with existing major gift prospects
and identifying new opportunities. An ability to empathize with
donors and communicate Fonkoze’s mission is vital. You’ll be
expected to energize team members, persuade prospects and persevere
to the end.
As our manager of the major gift program, you get
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and
ambitions through a relationship with our organization.
- Secure major gifts at the $5,000 and above level to raise $1M
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and
prospects, including our donor database and wealth screening
- Manage a portfolio of 125+ donors and prospects.
- Identify, cultivate and steward new prospects.
- Work with the Executive Director and Fonkoze USA to align
efforts and set goals.
- Create and implement moves management plans, developing
compelling engagement strategies to solicit and close gifts.
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations and assist the board
and other staff with their solicitation (e.g., provide portfolio
development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private
- Track and report progress using specific metrics.
This job might be for you if
- You’re a true people person with an outgoing nature. You’re a
self-starter and are driven by results.
- You have at least five years of nonprofit fundraising
experience and have shown an ability to secure individual and major
gifts and meet objectives. You make donors feel valued because
you’re sensitive to their needs.
- You are comfortable using a donor database, prospect research,
and other wealth screening tools to aid your moves management
- You can make and keep friends. You establish and maintain good
working relationships throughout the organization and with outside
- You have honed your writing and speaking skills and use them to
compel individuals to action.
- You aren’t someone who spends a lot of time in the weeds, but
you know donors expect you to be organized, prepared,
detail-oriented, and follow through on promises.
- Your determination inspires people. You bring people in line
with a vision and motivate them to reach goals.
The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $95,000;
compensation is based on experience. Fonkoze USA also offers a
comprehensive benefits package.
In-person meetings and travel are an essential part of this
position. Consistent with Fonkoze USA’s efforts to safeguard the
health and well-being of our employees, partners, and communities
in which we serve, proof of full vaccination status at the time of
hire is an employment requirement for this position.
Fonkoze is Haiti’s largest microfinance institution serving more
than 200,000 savings clients and 60,000 borrowers. Since 1994,
Fonkoze has brought Haiti’s rural poor financial opportunity,
primarily for women, as they lift themselves and their families out
of poverty. Fonkoze accompanies the women in their journey by
providing mentoring, literacy and business skills, and
Fonkoze USA was established in 1997 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit
corporation. Based in Washington, DC, Fonkoze USA raises funds,
donates and borrows, and facilitates technical assistance for our
partner organizations located in Haiti, particularly Fondasyon Kole
Zepòl (the Fonkoze Foundation) and Sèvis Finansye Fonkoze (Fonkoze
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of a
previously used solicitation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do
not send duplicate materials, and incomplete applications will not
be considered. No phone calls, please.