- Fistula Foundation
- California, United States
- Salary Not specified
- Closing date
- May 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Direct Marketing, Prospect Research
- Health, International
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About Fistula Foundation
We are demonstrating to the world that a new approach to women’s health can change the trajectory of women’s life and have a profound impact on local communities. An estimated one million women in Africa and Asia suffer from obstetric fistula, a debilitating childbirth injury that leaves a woman incontinent and, as a result, too often abandoned by her family and shunned by her community. Surgery is the only cure, which we deliver through partners in 25 countries across Africa and Asia. Since 2009, we have provided more than 65,000 life-transforming surgeries to women in need.
We combine the dynamism of a lean startup with the stability of a mature organization. Charity Navigator has given us a four-star rating for 16 consecutive years; Charity Watch lists us as one of only 34 Top Rated International Organizations; and GuideStar has awarded us Platinum Participant status, the highest designation available to charities. We have also earned the recognition of leaders such as Pulitzer Prize winner Nicholas Kristof, Grammy winner Paul Simon, and internationally renowned ethicist Peter Singer.
If you are an early-career professional with experience in marketing or nonprofit development, then Fistula Foundation offers an ideal setting in which to demonstrate and cultivate your skills. Over many years, we have increased our revenue at a significantly higher rate than the nonprofit sector average, and we are poised to grow further and faster with support from a creative, energetic marketer. You would apply analytical and quantitative skills, along with a flair for innovative thinking, to efforts aimed at expanding our donor base or reinforcing loyalty among our current donors. You would provide crucial analysis of donor behavior, support special donor outreach campaigns, and manage critical external relationships.
In this position, you would report to the Senior Director of Marketing and Communication, and work as part of a marketing and donor relations team.
The new Marketing Manager will:
- Take charge of understanding the Fistula Foundation donor base and pursuing creative ways to sustain and expand it.
- Analyze donor and donation data to inform fundraising strategy and to identify new opportunities to create and deepen donor relationships.
- Conduct research on current and prospective donor groups, and develop a sophisticated perspective on various donor segments.
- Manage existing relationships, and build new relationships, with external partners whose work aligns with the mission and strategy of Fistula Foundation. (These partners include, most importantly, charity rating organizations.)
- Plan and coordinate campaigns to target specific audiences, including lapsed donors and prospective monthly donors.
- Collaborate with the communications team to adapt messaging products for new or alternative audiences.
- Assist with developing and responding to public relations opportunities, and with promoting special initiatives.
- Make proactive thank-you calls to selected donors. (Note: This role does not involve making solicitation calls to donors or prospective donors.)
- Assist with other fundraising efforts (including routine donation processing and donor outreach projects) as needed.
- Collaborate with colleagues in donor relations, fundraising operations, and communication roles to develop and improve efforts to reach and retain donors.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Experience (one year or more) in a marketing role. Experience in the nonprofit sector is preferred but not required.
- Facility with gathering, organizing, and presenting quantitative data in a way that supports and aligns with organizational strategy.
- Experience in analyzing the behavior and motivation of donor or customer groups and in segmenting them into analytically relevant categories.
- A dynamic, resourceful approach to building and maintaining partnerships between people and organizations.
- A knack for creatively thinking ahead and for identifying new opportunities to drive growth or deepen loyalty among customers or donors.
- Strong writing and general communication skills. (While this position does not involve responsibility for creating outbound content, an ability to work constructively with the communications team is an essential part of the role.)
- A collaborative outlook and an eagerness to learn from colleagues; a capacity for adapting quickly to new conditions, new assignments, and new deadlines; and a willingness to pitch in with tasks large and small.
- A strong interest in advancing a cause related to women’s health, international development, or global poverty alleviation.
Benefits and Culture
The Fistula Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, a 403b retirement plan (with a generous employer match), a subsidy for gym membership, a dog-friendly office, and a generous vacation plan that begins in the first year of employment. We also offer a competitive salary that starts at $70,000–$80,000, with the potential for performance-based bonuses and increases.
This position is based in San Jose, California. In summer 2022, the Foundation will institute a hybrid work model that allows staff members to work remotely up to two days per week. The new Marketing Manager will be expected to work on-site three days per week.
Our team prioritizes initiative, productivity, and teamwork. We celebrate the successes of our team and our partners. We value creativity and passion for our mission, while encouraging our teammates to live healthy lives.
We believe that our work is enhanced by a diversity of thought and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek a diverse workforce. Applicants from all backgrounds, especially from communities of color, are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your résumé and a thoughtful cover letter that articulates your qualifications for this position to:
(Please include “marketing manager” in the subject line.)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will respond to all applicants.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert