ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Business Development Associate, Private Sector
provides technical and administrative support for business
development activities with private sector institutional donors at
Internews. This position will perform tasks requiring prior
experience, education and/or training. The Senior Business
Development Associate works within the Global Development team to
increase funding in support of Internews’ mission by researching
and engaging in fundraising activities with prospective and current
private sector donors for increasing restricted project funds at
Internews. Working under the leadership of the Senior Business
Development Specialist – Private Sector, as well as the Vice
President for Global Development, they will contribute to a
strategic approach to development at Internews to ensure the
organization raises over $4 million annually from private sector
Internews has US offices in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC which
support a hybrid workforce with staff working remotely, fully
in-office or partially remote. Ultimately this position may work
remotely from the US, partially remote from our Washington, DC
office, or fully in office for candidates based in the DC area.
You should apply with the understanding that work hours will
need to be coordinated to align in part with those of colleagues in
the Africa, Asia, and Europe regions, as well as with those of
colleagues based on the East Coast of the United States (UTC-5).
Candidates who prefer an office-based position should feel free to
express this preference during the interview process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so
interested candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals
who are passionate about our core values and about supporting
positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment
to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are
strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and
justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of
genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races,
nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic
backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all
races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national
origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
Concept Note & Proposal Support:
- Takes the lead in generating content/text for private
development solicitations, working with program and technical staff
members and the Senior Business Development Specialist to
- Assists with proposals and concept notes to private sector
donors, including conducting basic desk research, document
formatting, and development of situation analysis, capacity
statements, past performance references, and formatting of
CVs/resumes/short bio-graphics etc.
- Develops timelines for concept note and proposal submissions
and reviews donor guidelines to ensure full compliance with all
- Develops outlines/writing guides for technical and program
staff and other Business Development managers as required.
- Coordinates kick-off and/or design meetings for proposals as
- Working closely with program and technical staff members and
their supervisor, writes, reviews, and edits smaller concept notes,
proposals and pitches for submission to private sector donors in
line with Internews’ annual Global Development strategy.
Meetings & Scheduling:
- Participates in quarterly positioning meetings for each program
management unit, and in weekly Global Development coordination
meetings, taking notes and minutes as required.
- Maintains a calendar of due dates for proposals and other donor
submissions, including private donor reports, and will send out
reminders to program staff as required.
- Schedules, leads and facilitates Go/No Go meetings for
opportunities located in high-risk countries.
- Working with the Senior Development Manager, prepares
presentation materials – including PowerPoint presentations and
briefing papers for donor or partner pitches, or internal
audiences, as required.
- Collaborates closely with the Communications department to
develop website content to maximize Internews’ relationships with
key donors, as well as Internews’ overall brand image on-line.
- Contributes to annual strategic planning for Global Development
- Contributes to quarterly updates on Global Development
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to
- As needed, conducts prospect research for individual programs
and projects and assists with initial outreach
- Manages campaign pages on crowdfunding platforms such as
QUALIFICATIONS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- At least 2 years of prior work experience, preferably in the
non-profit, communications or international development fields, and
ideally in fundraising in some capacity.
- Passion for the role of media and increased access to
information in changing lives.
- Relevant undergraduate University degree or equivalent
- Ability to communicate effectively and practiced presentation
- Admirable writing skills with demonstrated ability to translate
complicated technical material into easy to read and compelling
text. Ability to both edit others writing and to accept feedback on
written text with grace and humor.
- Demonstrated prior experience with successful proposal writing
with a diverse range of donors.
- Proven organization skills, with strong attention to
- Proven ability to multi-task and prioritize within the context
of a flexible and shifting workload.
- Ability to handle sensitive donor information with the utmost
- Strong interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to
maintain a sense of calm and project a sense of humor in the face
of strict deadlines.
- Must be able and willing to work well with a diverse range of
colleagues to achieve ambitious fundraising targets. Proven ability
to operate effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed both to domestic
and/or international destinations, possibly to difficult
international environments. (Travel is not expected to exceed 10%
LOE for this position.)
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, MS Excel, PowerPoint,
Microsoft Word and internet research.
Note: Candidates who do not have
these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to
learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- Prior experience living and working overseas.
- Prior experience working in the media development, health,
environment and/or humanitarian fields.
- Prior experience with Salesforce.
- Experience with Adobe InDesign and other desktop publishing
programs a strong plus.
- Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish, French,
Portuguese, Arabic or Russian a plus.