Major Gifts Officer | Inside Climate News
- Inside Climate News
- New York, United States
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Jun 10, 2022
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Major Gifts
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Major Gifts Officer
Inside Climate News provides Pulitzer Prize-winning, nonpartisan reporting on the biggest crisis facing our planet. Our team is seeking a Major Gifts Officer responsible for cultivating, soliciting, and securing major individual gifts to support the mission and goals of the organization. This is a new position, reporting to the publisher and working closely with the director of development and the Board chair and vice chair.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively and strategically with the publisher, development staff and board members to develop the major gifts program for Inside Climate News.
- Develop and execute an annual plan to meet fundraising targets, and regularly project, analyze and report on major gift revenue.
- Work with the team to identify and manage a portfolio of existing donors, promising prospects and brand new contacts.
- Lead the qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of significant donors, seeking and securing major gifts, from five to seven figures in size.
- Create engagement opportunities for donors and prospects to secure their long term commitment to ICN.
- Like the rest of ICN’s staff, this position will work remotely, and we would prefer it if you lived around New York or San Francisco. Some travel is expected and required.
- Ten or more years of professional experience in fundraising or a related field, or its equivalent. You must have a proven track record of success, and we would prefer that you have experience in fundraising for journalism, environmental issues or both.
- Highly motivated, well-organized and a self-starter with a record of increasing achievement and responsibility.
- A very good writer, and a skilled communicator on the phone, on Zoom and in person, one-on-one and in a group.
- Collegial and invested in building positive working relationships with others, internally and externally.
- A high level of integrity and understand ethical standards of fundraising.
Our News Organization
- Founded in 2007, Inside Climate News is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan news organization covering the biggest crisis facing our planet. With 22 full-time staff members, we are one of the largest environmental newsrooms in the country.
- As part of our work in the public interest, we are building a collaborative national reporting network, strengthening the practice of climate and environmental justice journalism and training the next generation of journalists.
- We have a nucleus in New York, a presence in Washington D.C., Boston, and Chicago and staff working from California to Maine. Good ideas propel our operation, wherever they originate. We are a highly collaborative, supportive and collegial organization.
- We have earned national recognition for our work and many of the most prestigious awards in journalism, including the Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting (2013) and recognition as a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service (2016).
- For more about ICN, please see our About page.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourage applications from candidates of any background or identity. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To Apply: Please send resume, clips and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email Publisher David Sassoon (email@example.com Director of Development and Marketing Megan Boyle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert