About The David and Lucile Packard
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation is a family foundation
guided by the enduring business philosophy and personal values of
Lucile and David Packard, who helped found one of the world’s
leading technology companies. We continue to work on the issues our
founders cared about most: improving the lives of children;
enabling the creative pursuit of science; advancing reproductive
health and rights; conserving and restoring the earth’s natural
systems; and supporting and strengthening our local
About the Role
The Grants and Compliance Specialist is
responsible for the management of an assigned grant portfolio,
working closely with colleagues to provide effective and
collaborative due diligence and oversight of grants.
Specifically, this position will be responsible for the specialized
review of grant requests and supporting documentation for adequacy
and accuracy through the life cycle of the grant; providing
orientation for new program staff and ongoing training for existing
staff on grant-related operational and legal compliance matters;
managing and analyzing grant-related data and supplying requested
information; providing analysis and technical support for the
maintenance and upgrade of the compliance grantmaking system and
related systems; working collaboratively with others to improve
Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, the ideal candidate will
have proven expertise in and knowledge of legal compliance and
grants management for private foundations. They will demonstrate a
strong sense of collaboration and initiative while providing
independent judgement. They'll also demonstrate strong analytical,
problem solving, and communication skills, precise attention to
detail, and the ability to work in diverse teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
closely with Programs, Controller’s Office, and Legal to manage the
full lifecycle of grants from concept to closing for assigned
program areas to ensure responsive and timely
• Conduct due diligence on grant materials, including reviewing
applications for completeness and adherence to applicable law,
Foundation policies and processes for U.S. and international
grants, identifying potential technical compliance issues, and
proposing recommendations. Conduct final review for payment
release. Draft grant agreements for legal review as needed. Monitor
the progress of grants through the pre-award, award, and post-award
states. Review post-award data to ensure compliance with Foundation
and IRS rules and regulations for inclusion in the expenditure
responsibility schedules within the Foundation’s 990 PF tax
• Provide technical assistance to grantmaking staff to ensure
understanding and compliance with applicable U.S. and international
laws and internal policies and processes. Guide program staff
through the operations end of the grantmaking process. Develop and
deliver training for new and existing grantmaking staff on
applicable laws, internal policies, and processes. Support the
legal team on legal compliance training for international grantee
• Develop and document grantmaking workflow processes, forms,
templates, and data to ensure full compliance with internal
controls and legal requirements. Participate in ongoing efforts to
improve and streamline the Foundation's grantmaking policies,
workflows, and procedures, and guides program staff through policy
• Maintain working knowledge of the Foundation’s programs and
priority funding areas; develop specific knowledge of programmatic
strategy; and participate in a culture of learning related to the
field of philanthropy and grants management.
• Serve as the department’s
primary contact for systems for day-to-day grantmaking compliance
• Monitor and ensure on-going data integrity of grantmaking
• Maintain grant management system support and reference materials
for the compliance and legal teams including the compliance systems
process documentation and the Grantmaking Process Manual.
• Provide grantmaking and legal compliance expertise to the
Foundation’s ongoing efforts to maintain and enhance the
functionality of its grant management system. Collaborate
effectively with internal stakeholders on system enhancement
identification, prioritization, implementation, testing, and
validation. Test systems upgrades and changes to ensure alignment
with compliance policies and procedures.
• Lead projects involving compliance and grantmaking operations
improvements, the development and enhancement of the grant
management systems, and/or integration of Foundation grant
management system with other needed systems or products. Design and
document detailed workflows and reporting templates as
• Generate reports from grant management system, with analysis, as
• Manage Foundation-wide watch list verification administration,
documentation, and enhancements as anti-terrorism laws and internal
policies evolve over time.
• Serve as primary contact and manager of employee and trustee
matching gifts program including and managing external vendor and
compliance with program guidelines, review monthly invoices for
grant payments, and provide reports.
• Generate reports and provide data analysis as requested by
internal and external partners including reviewing and validating
data for the Foundation’s annual financial audit.
Represent the Foundation in the philanthropic sector by sharing
lessons and experiences with the field through writing or
presenting, participating in funder gatherings, and learning from
colleagues at other foundations.
• Work across the Foundation’s operations functions to enable
efficient and streamlined flow of information and learning.
• Other duties or projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
education and work experience; and 5-8 years of work experience in
areas related to grantmaking, compliance, or internal audit.
• Experience with the legal and compliance issues pertaining to a
U.S.-based private foundation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Working knowledge of IRS regulations
governing private foundation grantmaking.
• Demonstrated ability to exercise excellent independent judgement
and initiative. Ability to independently manage a robust
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, and organizational skills
with precise attention to detail and accuracy.
• Ability to work within a complex environment, including
collaborating with and influencing various stakeholders regardless
of reporting and functional lines.
• Excellent written and oral communication and customer service
skills. Strong training and presentation skills.
• Adept at leading and advancing projects and bringing forward new
ideas. Skilled at creating and enhancing processes and proposing
improvements to grant management systems and grantmaking
• Team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, curious, and
• Willingness to learn from mistakes.
• Demonstrated experience and skill with technical aspects of grant
management system, applications, and Microsoft Office.
• Ability to travel internationally on an occasional basis.
The David and Lucile Packard Foundation requires that all staff
be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except as required by law.
Any employment offer will be contingent upon satisfactory proof
that you are fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable
accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as
otherwise required by applicable law.