In its 23rd year, Essex County Community Foundation (ECCF)
inspires philanthropy across the 34 cities and towns in Essex
County, Massachusetts. We do this in three ways:
1) Managing and investing donor’s charitable assets to achieve
2) Strengthening and supporting local nonprofits with the
knowledge and financial resources needed for local impact;
3) Bringing crosssector organizations and leaders together to
invest in “systems-change” work that addresses social issues in our
With over $125 million in charitable assets, the Foundation
advises fund/donor advisors on giving strategies to reach their
philanthropic goals and maximize their impact. Our family of 275
(and growing) charitable funds delivers over $12 million in grant
funding annually. ECCF has experienced significant growth in the
last five years, proving there is real need and opportunity in the
regional charitable giving sector. The ECCF team of staff and
volunteers work collaboratively, and with great enthusiasm, to
deliver on its goals of helping donors fulfill their giving goals
and bringing lasting change in their communities. With a strategic
plan driving the growth and impact of the organization (https://www.eccf.org/about), ECCF
believes our communities thrive when we have: successful schools
and students; safe, clean and green neighborhoods; strong job and
economic opportunities; vibrant arts and culture experiences; and
healthy people. Further, we recognize that collective thriving
requires us to be aware of and tackle longstanding inequities, so
are committed to becoming an equitable and inclusive organization
in all we do. Learn more here: https://www.eccf.org/our-work/
The Employment Opportunity
The Director of Development is a new position responsible
• leading and managing ECCF’s Annual Fund Program
• leading and managing ECCF’s Corporate Partnership Program
• supporting strategic initiative fundraising goals – and -
• supporting prospective and current ECCF Donor Advised Fund
Reporting to the VP for Advancement & Philanthropic
Services, and working closely with all leadership team members, the
Director of Development will build genuine relationships with
community donors and corporate partners and play a key role in
achieving exciting growth goals. Specific responsibilities include,
but are not limited to:
• Manage, Execute, and Improve ECCF’s Annual Fund Program.
o Design, execute and manage the annual fund
campaign with a goal of raising $300,000 annually.
o Campaign duties include campaign
development, messaging, donor prospecting, solicitor assignments,
acknowledgements, reporting, etc.
o Design and execute a donor stewardship and
moves management program to ensure annual fund donors are engaging
meaningfully with ECCF’s offerings and mission. Support the
fundraising efforts of key staff and Board in this goal.
o Engage a portfolio of 50 individual donor
• Execute and grow ECCF’s Corporate Partnership Program.
o Design, execute, and manage the successful
Corporate Partnership Program which currently raises $250,000
annually with over 50 corporate partners.
o Lead and work directly with ECCF’s board
and staff on solicitation of corporate partners.
o Steward annual corporate partners, working
closely with the Director of Marketing & Communication
corporate on promotional benefits.
• Support ECCF’s Special Initiative fundraising
o Assist in executing special initiative
fundraising campaigns including, but not limited to, Digital
Equity, Creative County and The Endowment for Essex County.
• Support ECCF’s Donor Advised Fund operations and
o Assist in identifying donors who would
benefit from opening a Donor Advised Fund at ECCF.
o Develop relationships with and provide
support to a small portfolio of donors with Donor Advised
• Manage appropriate administrative systems and duties
o Create and maintain administrative systems
to manage annual fund and corporate partner campaigns.
o Support the improvement of a donor
relationship management system.
o Utilize a donor database to track and
report on all aspects of this role.
The Director of Development will be a highly collaborative and
mission-driven team player who believes in the power of meaningful
philanthropy to bring people together and to make Essex County
better. Successful candidates will excel at building donor
relationships, be confident engaging with donor prospects and have
strong verbal and written communication skills that can clearly
articulate the mission of ECCF. They must exhibit the following
experiences, attributes, and competencies:
• Alignment with the Foundations mission and values.
• A commitment to racial equity and inclusion.
• Minimum of five years of fundraising and development
experience; experience in private philanthropy sector is
• Successful in building genuine relationships with people from
all backgrounds and lived experiences.
• Operate with the highest level of integrity, authenticity, and
transparency. They may exhibit many of the following experiences,
attributes, and competencies:
• Record of accomplishment in the design and execution of annual
• Proven experience with leading volunteers engaged in
• Experience in major gift fundraising and moves management
• Experience in corporate giving/sponsorship programs.
• Skilled at donor prospecting and research to qualify potential
• Highly organized, self-motivated, and enthusiastic.
• A team-oriented “people person” with a natural curiosity and a
talent for making meaningful connections.
• Ability to meet deadlines and work flexibly and creatively
within a fastmoving, changing, and complex environment
• Enjoys a role that requires both autonomy and a commitment to
• Enjoys an environment that values an entrepreneurial spirit,
learning-while-doing, and individual accountability.
Compensation/Benefits: This position is a professional,
full-time exempt staff position and will be eligible to participate
in the Foundation’s health plan, retirement plan and other employee
benefits. The salary range is $80,000-$90,000 and is commensurate
with skill level, experience, and sector benchmarks. Essex County
Community Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and committed
to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization.