The Philanthropy Officer at Mote Marine Laboratory will be
responsible for securing significant revenue for Mote Marine
Laboratory. He/She will be expected to develop dynamic
fundraising strategies focused on engaging, cultivating, soliciting
and stewarding an assigned portfolio of major donors as well as
developing new prospects focused on leadership level giving for the
organization. The Philanthropy Officer will report directly to the
Director of Development and work independently and as part of the
The Philanthropy Officer will:
- Manage an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects with
intent to form deep relationships and identify specific areas of
interest. Cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $5,000 level
or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for Mote.
Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio through face-to-face
visits, including preparation of personalized materials.
- Establish personal relationships with major donors, identifying
their interests and articulating programmatic aspects of Mote
Marine Laboratory’s work that appeal to them.
- Leverage individual donor relationships to expand and deepen
giving from connected individuals.
- Personally solicit a specific portfolio of 100-200 prospects,
with an emphasis on leadership level annual gifts as well as
multi-year pledges. Meet minimum annual fundraising goal tied to
individual donor portfolio. Develop donor solicitation plans for
entire portfolio resulting in strategic, targeted asks.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit planned gifts within the
- Develop strong funding proposals with Mote education, aquarium
and research staff.
- Draft and coordinate correspondence to donors, including gift
agreements, letters, email updates and reports.
- Represent Mote at community events to increase Mote’s
visibility, establish new prospects and create donor stewardship
- Ensure correct and timely records are maintained for all donor
communication in Mote’s database.
- Enhance the culture of philanthropy at Mote Marine
- Become an expert on Mote Marine Laboratory and convey that
knowledge to the donors in a manner that encourages their
- Other Duties as assigned
- The Philanthropy Officer is an energetic, goal-driven, customer
service-oriented team member.
- The successful candidate should possess a broad knowledge of
the principles of fundraising, moves management and the ability to
participate in all aspects of the gift cycle.
- Candidate must also possess a proven track record in individual
gift fundraising, managing a large portfolio including experience
closing gifts of $25,000 and higher.
- The Philanthropy Officer must possess an understanding of the
principles and vehicles of Planned Giving.
- Candidate must have at least three years of professional major
gift experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have
demonstrated qualitative success in working with member-based
organizations and volunteers.
- Must demonstrate strong listening skills, strong oral and
written communication skills, sophisticated interpersonal and
relationship-building skills, and be literate in standard office
- Experience maintaining donor records in database.
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience is required.
Interested applicants should apply online at https://mote.smapply.org/prog/job_applicants
or mail a single package including cover letter, resume or c.v. and
the contact information for three references to Mote Marine
Laboratory, Attn: Human Resources, 1600 Ken Thompson
Parkway, Sarasota, FL 34236 before June 13, 2022.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other