Director of Communications and
*** $2,000.00 Sign-On
Worcester County Food Bank (WCFB) believes that healthy food is
a fundamental right of all people, that hunger is a solvable
problem and an issue of social justice. WCFB’s mission is to
engage, educate, and lead Worcester County in creating a
hunger-free community. To that end, WCFB annually collects
donations of perishable and non-perishable food and distributes it
through a network of Partner Agencies, including food pantries and
community meal programs; trains Partner Agencies in food safety;
and advocates for systemic and sustainable solutions to the problem
of food insecurity. WCFB is deemed to provide essential
services to the community in time of emergencies.
The Director of Communications and Development is a senior
leadership position responsible for managing multi-faceted
communications and fund development strategies geared toward 1)
increasing WCFB’s visibility and authority as the known and trusted
expert on hunger in Worcester County and 2) engaging community
members – including donors, advocates, Partner Agency
representatives, volunteers, staff, and board – more deeply in
WCFB’s mission to create a hunger-free community. The Director of
Communications and Development supervises development and
With a current revenue budget of $3.5M, the Director works
to grow revenues through a focus on enhancing donor communications,
increasing donor loyalty, and deepening donor relationships. This
is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Chief Operating
This position is designated essential to WCFB’s
Fosters a culture of philanthropy throughout WCFB and creates a
donor-centered organization that nurtures loyalty through a
comprehensive relationship-building program including cultivation
and communications. Translates WCFB’s vision and goals into
compelling appeals to outside constituents and for internal
- Promotes culture of storytelling, defining strategies for
telling personal stories that highlight the positive impact of
WCFB’s work and employing a variety of communications methods to do
so; as needed, generating content by interfacing directly with
community members – including donors, advocates, Partner Agency
representatives and people seeking food assistance. Ensures
consistent voice and messaging across WCFB’s communications
channels and coordinates approval process around external
- Works closely with CEO, COO, Director of Advocacy and
Development Staff to identify annual communications and development
- Interfaces regularly with donors of all types.
- Coordinates with WCFB Staff, opportunities for donors to
experience firsthand the impact of their gifts on WCFB’s advocacy,
Partner Agencies, and operations.
- Evaluates the effect of internal and external forces on WCFB’s
communications and fund development and recommends short- and
long-term plans and programs that support WCFB’s values, mission,
and strategic plan.
- Keeps informed of developments in communications and
philanthropy and applies best practices.
- In keeping with the body of knowledge and best/next practice,
designs and assures implementation of cost-effective communications
and fund development programs, employing economy while maintaining
an acceptable level of quality and solid return on investment.
- Provides general oversight of all WCFB’s communications and
fund development activities including direct mail, newsletter,
Impact Report, website and online giving, social media, grant
applications and reporting and corporate partnerships. Manages the
day-to-day operations of the team and monitors adequacy of
strategies and tactics.
- Regularly collects, analyzes, and reports on key communications
and development metrics.
- Prepares regular communications and development analyses and
reports for the COO, CEO and Board of Directors.
- Engages and supports Board of Directors in donor relations
through thank you calls, community events, etc. that support
- Participates with WCFB Staff and Board of Directors in the
formulation and implementation of budgets and strategic plan.
- Assures WCFB’s needs around print and digital communications,
PR and media relations and advertising are met. Coordinates content
generation, design, and printing for major annual publications,
interfacing with staff, board, vendors, and other community
- Other projects as assigned by the COO.
- Combination of education and senior management experience in
communications, marketing, and development in a nonprofit
- Commitment to WCFB’s mission and familiarity with
- Commitment to prioritizing equity, diversity, and inclusion and
integrating it throughout WCFB’s communication and development
- Strong supervisory experience including building and managing
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in the nature and
dimensions of communications and philanthropy, ethics, motivations
for giving and volunteering, research and cultivation practices,
standard fundraising techniques including face-to-face
solicitation, proposal writing, and direct mail, and development
office functions including gift processing, prospect and donor
histories, and fundraising reporting.
- Commitment to a flexible work schedule to meet the
organizational needs of WCFB and Communications and Development
- Willingness to travel locally, regionally, and nationally as
needed for meetings, conferences, etc.
- Practical and strategic systems thinker and
- The ideal candidate will have:
- Leadership ability and effective communication skills.
Bilingual communication skills are recognized as an
- Demonstrated success in managing and implementing comprehensive
programs in communications and fund development that increase
awareness, engagement, and philanthropic contributions.
- Budgeting and financial management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Initiative, flexibility and ability to adapt quickly to
changing circumstances and priorities.
- Experience working with, and managing, “creatives” including
designers, photographers, videographers, etc.
- Experience using and managing databases and technology (i.e.,
DonorPerfect, Constant Contact, Wordpress website, design
- Membership in professional communications and fundraising
associations is expected.
Pay Scale: $70,000 -
How to Apply:
A formal cover letter is required for
- Online at Chronicle of Philanthropy; or
- Mail cover letter and résumé to Worcester County Food Bank,
Attn: Lara Greene, 474 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury, MA 01545.
- E-mail HR@foodbank.org
(subject line: “Director of Communications & Development”)
WCFB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants
will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to
race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status,
genetic data, religion, or other legally protected
encourage people of color, women,
LGBTQ + individuals, people with
disabilities, and people living with or have experience of poverty