Director of Philanthropy - Mountain Housing Opportunities
- Mountain Housing Opportunities
- North Carolina, United States
- $90,000.00 - $100,000.00
- Closing date
- Jun 28, 2022
- Position Type
- Executive, Fundraising, Annual Fund, Corporate and Foundation Relations, Direct Marketing, Donor Relations, Fundraising Administration, Major Gifts, Prospect Research, Other Fundraising, Programs, Community Outreach, Administrative, Public Relations and Communications
- Advocacy, Community Development, Other Fields, Social Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Do you have a heart to improve housing conditions by eliminating threats to life, health, and safety? Do you have a passion for serving low-income elderly, veterans, disabled, single-parent, and large family households in Asheville and Western North Carolina? Do you value diversity, equity, and inclusion and can you demonstrate this professionally and personally? Are you the Director of Philanthropy at Mountain Housing Opportunities (MHO)?
MHO continues to expand and improve its services to meet the critical needs of the residents of Asheville and Buncombe and surrounding counties. MHO knows that more than 20,000 households in Western NC struggle to afford a safe, attractive home in a good neighborhood, and that more than 45% of people of color face housing insecurity. MHO serves more than 1,500 households each year and builds an average of more than 80 new homes annually. Now MHO seeks a Director of Philanthropy to join a dedicated team, take the fundraising program to new heights and help achieve the organization’s strategic vision.
What will you do as MHO’s Director of Philanthropy?
The Director of Philanthropy (DOP) will create and execute a philanthropic vision that will sustain and expand MHO’s mission and reach. The ideal candidate has led a successful and verifiable resource development program and has a record of soliciting and securing six-figure gifts. Recognizing the connection between MHO’s public visibility and its fundraising success, this position has broad responsibility for the organization’s marketing and communications strategy and supervises the Communications Manager.
The DOP's responsibilities include:
- Sustain a philanthropic spirit and unified sense of purpose among staff, board members, donors, and other partners.
- Maintain relationships with the Senior Leadership Team as fundraising/natural partners.
- Develop, manage, and implement the fundraising strategy of the organization, with emphasis on increasing revenue through expansion of the major donor program.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Senior Leadership, volunteers, Board of Directors, and Communications Manager to build relationships with donors including individuals, businesses, foundations, and other charitable sources.
- Assume responsibility for major gifts, annual giving, corporate and foundation fundraising programs including management of the CEO’s portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Devise, recommend and implement major donor cultivation and solicitation strategies including major donor solicitations.
- Create and present verbal and/or written proposals for consideration, according to the donor’s or foundation’s interest and financial capacity.
- Ensure the successful implementation of industry best practices in tireless pursuit of continued excellence in all facets of resource development operations.
- Develop and manage the fundraising and marketing budgets.
- Direct the Communications Manager in a vital program of brand management, marketing, and communications, leading to significantly increased public awareness of MHO’s work, value, and accomplishments.
Mountain Housing Opportunities (MHO) is a nonprofit housing and community development organization serving principally Asheville, Buncombe County, and other areas of western North Carolina. Our mission is to build and improve homes, neighborhoods, communities, and lives, and to build hope and dignity in the people we serve. We believe that if you work in this community, you should be able to live here in a safe, attractive affordable home in a good neighborhood, and when you retire or if you become disabled, this should still be true.
MHO produces over $15 million each year in affordable and workforce housing development, apartment leasing and management, home lending, housing preservation in the form of Emergency Home Repairs for low-income homeowners, and neighborhood revitalization. Since our founding in 1988, MHO has helped over 7,000 households and now serves more than 2,000 people each year in our combined programs.
The foundation of MHO’s core values is diversity, equity, and inclusion. MHO’s commitment to this foundation is unwavering, across all of our work. These principles are central to our mission and to our impact. We know that having varied perspectives helps generate better ideas to solve the complex housing problems of a changing and increasingly diverse world. With that and with leadership support from the NeighborWorks of America, a national network of housing and community development organizations, MHO is working to build on our positive record of diversity, equity, and inclusion by incorporating DEI principles and practices in all areas of MHO operations, programs, hiring and human resources, training, promotions, contracting, management, and governance. MHO looks forward to a new team member who can join this continued effort.
Want to know more? Visit MHO’s website at www.mtnhousing.org.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skill sets sought in the Director of Philanthropy
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and at least five years of fundraising experience for a nonprofit organization or equivalent experience.
- History of soliciting and closing six-figure gifts.
- Ability to demonstrate compassionate service with diverse individuals from all walks of life, including, but not limited to, race, income, age, and ability.
- Ability to build quality relationships with diverse donors as part of a comprehensive fundraising plan.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and/or performance metrics.
- Experience in annual, major, and deferred giving, from discovery to stewardship.
- Experience in management and design/development of fundraising programs, including donor solicitation strategy, communications, donor selection and appreciation, and special events.
- Strong interpersonal skills required to relate to donors, volunteers, and colleagues. Ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated appreciation of the mission and work of Mountain Housing Opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development.
- Must be self-motivated, results oriented, and able to set priorities and work on numerous projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication (both verbal and written), analytical and negotiating skills.
- High energy, positive "can-do" attitude, curiosity, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative. Good sense of humor.
- Proficient with computer skills and knowledge of fundraising database programs.
- Ability to commute to meet personally with potential donors in a variety of locations.
Think you are MHO’s Director of Philanthropy?
To apply, click on the link to the Director of Philanthropy position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. You will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume and salary requirements. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites. Review of candidates will continue until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with the requirements of the position and begins in the $90,000 range. Relocation assistance is available. Benefits include health, dental, and life insurance, short-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, 11 paid holidays, and accrued vacation and sick time.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert