Job Description: The Major Gifts Manager
is responsible for the day-to-day operations of donor relationship
management functions for the Development team. This role will lead
prospect management of the major gifts portfolio for the
fundraising needs of Latina Institute. They will be responsible for
building out systems and workflows to ensure effective fundraising
strategies and donor stewardship is achieved by the development
team, Executive Director and member of Latina Institute’s board.
The manager will play an integral role in developing cultivation
and fundraising strategies for top individual prospects/donors,
including continuing the buildout of a Major Gifts program over the
next five years. This role supports and guides the fundraising
efforts of the Latina Institute by conducting research,
categorizing prospects and donors in terms of interest and
capacity, and determining when they should be moved to active
prospect lists for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. The
Major Gifts Manager assigns prospects by interest and affinity,
manages movement through the pipeline, and assists development
staff in planning strategies and priorities. The manager will
track, maintain, and provide monthly updates and reports on Major
Gifts portfolio expansion and progress. The Major Gifts Manager
will manage one junior staff to be hired to support prospect
research and individual giving at the organization. This position
reports to the Senior Director of Development with consultant
engagement with the Executive Director and support to the Board
Skills: Expertise in systems and workflows for
fundraising Major Gifts principles and methods is required to
expand and maintain fundraising for the organization. The ability
to develop strategies for the cultivation, solicitation, and
stewardship of donor relationships with mission aligned major
donors. Experience maintaining donor database and creating revenue
dashboards. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and
skills to engage and understand the work of the Latina Institute to
best vet and assign prospects for cultivation.
LOCATION: Washington, DC/New York, NY
Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement annual and long-term goals and
strategies, in collaboration with development team.
- Oversee the daily Major Gifts operations including expanding on
best practices for moves management, portfolio and pipeline
analysis, and fundraising program assessment.
- Build out the Major Gifts functions in Salesforce to allow for
reporting on prospect allocation and portfolio development,
portfolio management, portfolio analysis and review, and pipeline
- Manage and coordinate workflow for development team (including
regular portfolio review meetings and the development of monthly
metrics and dashboards), provide research and analysis of major
donors and prospects, including capacity ratings, indicators of
interest in the organization’s programs and connections to other
- Mentor, motivate, and coordinate workflow for direct
- Coordinate donor research to ensure current biographical and
institutional information is routed to relevant staff. This
includes initial prospect research, donor meeting prep and special
events prep for key Senior and field staff to network
- Prepare the activity summary report for the Senior Director of
Development and the Senior team containing new activity entries in
the database and prospect/donor contact reports from development
- Support Board of Directors’ fundraising initiatives with
preparation of board member fundraising toolkit, updating
fundraising plans, and supporting donor prospect leads for board
members provided in consultation with Senior Director of
- Some domestic travel may be required (less than 20% of
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive freedom, immigrant
women’s rights, social justice, and Latino civil rights.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience of cultivation,
stewardship, and solicitation of major donors, as well as
progressively responsible experience in prospect research and data
management and donor communication.
- Experience reporting, evaluating, analyzing, and presenting
- Demonstrated ability to write in a clear, structured, and
- Expertise of moves management workflows and tracking to conduct
effective donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- A team player with proven ability to develop relationships and
work collaboratively within a growing, changing organization.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with a high level of
integrity. Sound judgment and ability to communicate and work
collaboratively both internally with staff and externally with
Board of Directors, donor base, and prospective donors.
- Ability to think creatively about fundraising opportunities,
take initiative, and achieve results.
- Ability to employ tools and management practices like MOCHA and
FAIR process to implementing workflows for prospect
- Ability to meet goals and balance competing priorities, while
working under multiple deadlines.
- Excellent time and project management skills with a relational
approach to building process and accountability.
- Ability to work collaboratively and function successfully as a
member of a team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and database systems,
preferably Salesforce and/or EveryAction.
- Bilingual Spanish-speaker, though not required, is
Salary Range: $75,000 - $85,000 and will
commensurate based on experience. Our comprehensive package of
- Medical, dental, and vision plans
- Vacation, wellness, and sick time
- Retirement plan, including employer match
- Paid parental leave
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please send a resume and
a cover letter that includes salary requirements via e-mail to
Please write Major Gifts Manager on the
e-mail subject line. Position will be open until filled.