The Development Manager/Director is a key member of Boscobel
management and will lead the organization into its next phase of
growth. They will work with the Executive Director, Board of
Directors, and a team of committed, creative colleagues to increase
contributed income to support an annual operating budget of over $3
million. They will oversee Boscobel’s membership and annual
fund drives; solicit gifts, grants and corporate sponsorships; plan
and implement donor events; and formalize the museum’s prospect
research, solicitation, acknowledgement, recognition, and reporting
procedures. The Development Manager will be an active, hands-on
fundraiser who is as comfortable making the ask as crafting the
The Development Manager/Director's title is commensurate with
experience and demonstrated accomplishment. The position is
full-time and reports to the Executive Director, a seasoned, active
solicitor of leadership gifts. The Development Department is
supported by a part-time Development Assistant, contract grant
writer and other consultants as needed, part-time Data Entry
Specialist, and works closely with the Communications Manager,
Event Manager, and all other department heads to identify and
fulfill funding needs. The successful candidate will
demonstrate superlative abilities in strategy, communication,
organization, collaboration, resourcefulness, and mastery of
relevant technologies. Altru is Boscobel’s fundraising, CRM,
retail inventory database, and ticketing platform.
Specific Duties to be performed:
- With the Executive Director and Board of Directors, plan and
execute a comprehensive development plan that supports Boscobel’s
mission and strategic goals, broadens its donor base, increases its
financial resources, and is operationally sustainable.
- Understand and articulate Boscobel’s mission, operations, and
strategic goals in ways that inform and excite potential donors;
draft and edit letters, proposals, reports, digital copy, talking
- Collaborate with key staff to develop, maintain, and
effectively utilize contact lists and data analytics.
- Lead and manage fundraising initiatives; track their success.
Prioritize resources and find efficiencies to achieve maximum
results within staff, time, and budget limits.
- Lead and manage sponsorship proposals and grant applications,
acknowledgements, recognition, and reports. Works with part-time
- Develop and execute with key staff and trustees fundraising,
friend-raising, and recognition events, including evening, weekend,
and holiday occasions.
- Represent Boscobel favorably to donors and the donor community,
and coach and inspire other staff members and trustees on doing the
- Cultivate productive relationships with internal colleagues,
donors, programmatic partners, government officials, and the local
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and Human Resources
to prepare and manage the fundraising reports and budgets; and to
structure and monitor the development department’s budget to
achieve maximum results.
- Prepare prospect research, call lists, and remarks for the
Executive Director, trustees, and other development
- Additional duties as assigned.