First Book has a mandatory Covid-19 vaccination
policy (medical and religious exemptions
About First Book:
First Book believes that education offers children the best
possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has
distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials
to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children
from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s
largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in
need. Today First Book reaches over 525,000 educators nationwide
with an additional 750 joining every week. In addition to our work
in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children
in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the
power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book
has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the
Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic
Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton
Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London
School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded
First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for
Accountability & Transparency.
About the Position: (Work in a
great hybrid work environment!) This is not a 100% remote
The Director, Foundation Giving is an essential part of the First
Book team, providing critical support for the Vice President of
Development and the Development department - which raises donative
funds from and with individuals, foundations, and community
volunteers in support of the organization’s goals and mission.
The Director, Foundation Giving is responsible for the creation and
management of a well-coordinated, strategic plan to cultivate and
solicit grant support from foundations. This position works to
establish long-term partnerships as well as maintain existing
relationships with current local, community, regional, and national
foundations. First Book’s foundation revenue is growing, a seasoned
fundraiser who wants to help 3X revenue is essential.
The position demands the highest attention to detail, the ability
to work autonomously in a fast-paced multi-function environment, a
desire to work efficiently and improve systems and processes, and a
passion for internal and external customer service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Stewardship, cultivation, and renewal of
current Foundation donor portfolio.
• Identify foundation prospects and conduct
research to determine interest and grant giving potential.
• Create an ongoing $1M+ Foundation donation
• Create a moves management plan for all current
and prospective Foundation donors.
• Develop, manage and implement cultivation and
solicitation strategies for foundation support, including
proposals, LOIs, and other documents as required.
• Customize and oversee correspondence to ensure
timeliness of communications and reporting to Foundation
• Research, create and maintain Foundation donor
profiles and correspondence records in Salesforce (CRM).
• Proactively contribute to problem-solving, team
brainstorms, strategic and operational planning exercises.
• Prepare regular revenue and pipeline reports
for department’s senior leadership.
• Various administrative duties and other tasks
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required. CFRE a
• 8-10+ years of progressive experience with
nonprofit foundation fundraising required.
• Extensive knowledge of cultivation,
solicitation, and stewardship strategies, particularly in the area
of foundation fundraising.
• Demonstrated ability to take primary
responsibility for diverse number of projects and complete them by
• Demonstrated record of success in generating
significant commitments from foundation donors.
• Exceptional writing ability, with accuracy and
attention to detail.
• Extensive knowledge of prospect identification
tools, software, and sites.
• Experience with Salesforce a strong plus.
• High degree of proficiency in MS Office
including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Strong desire to collaborate to build a robust
foundation fundraising program.
Those who thrive at First Book tend to possess these
• Highly detail-oriented, loves problem-solving
and working with systems.
• Excellent organizational and time management
• Strong verbal and written communication skills;
strong and patient presence on the phone.
• Must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
and multi-task with ease.
• An entrepreneurial spirit, this is core to
First Book’s DNA. Must be a tenacious self-starter with
• A passion for First Book’s mission and vision
for the future
• 401K and employer matching pension
• Transportation benefits
• Hybrid work environment - can work from home and
Candidates are invited to submit a resume, and a cover letter that
details your interest in the position to http://firstbook.force.com/careers.
If you need assistance applying, please reach out to us at
email@example.com / 202-499-5935