- Do you want to help create a more just and kind
- Do you believe that diversity is a powerful strength for a
- Do you want to ensure that every student can be successful
and prepared to thrive in college, career, and life?
A kind, communicative, and organized self-starter with a deep
commitment to educational equity, that seeks an administrative
position. You have a growth mindset, want to develop the
perspective, agency, and urgency to make a positive impact in the
world around you.
We are E.L. Haynes.
A learning community where every student – of every race,
socioeconomic status, home language, and ability – prepares to
thrive in college, career, and life. Together, we create a more
just and kind world.
Founded in 2004 and named for the first African-American woman
to earn her Ph.D. in Mathematics, the award-winning E.L. Haynes
Public Charter School serves more than 1,150 students in grades
Pre-K3 through 12th grade. E.L. Haynes operates two campuses in the
Petworth neighborhood of Washington, DC.
We believe that our most significant contribution to ending
systemic injustice is through purposefully empowering our diverse
community— as individuals and as a collective— with the skills and
the conviction to be effective leaders for equity.
Our mission of student success is inextricably linked with our
commitment to equity and the daily efforts of every member of our
community to live our motto-Be Kind, Work Hard, and Get Smart.
- Lead For Equity: We challenge ourselves and
each other to interrupt inequities and build equitable
- Choose Joy: We find, bring, and share joy
in our work every day. We practice gratitude, celebrate wins, and
- Achieve Excellence: We deliver high-quality
work every day. We set ambitious goals, embrace challenges, and
hold ourselves and each other to high standards.
- Own Our Learning: We model a growth
mindset for our students. We own our actions, mistakes, and
learning. We continually look for ways to improve and produce
We are different. We are:
- A diverse and inclusive community, with nearly 70% of our staff
identifying as people of color.
- The hub of the neighborhood. We are a community school and
partner with neighborhood organizations to provide our families
with comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health
- A place where all community members have their voices heard in
the decision-making process.
- A school where students learn in a rigorous and coherent
About Our Academic Program:
E.L. Haynes provides a rigorous and engaging college preparatory
curriculum for students in grades Pre-K through 12. Our
instructional program provides intensive learning experiences that
deepen understanding at all grade levels so that every student is
prepared to become kind and curious community members, lifelong
learners, and leaders of social justice.
Please read more about our academic program here.
About The Position:
The Administrative Coordinator serves as a key member of the
External Relations team for E.L. Haynes Public Charter
School. This 12-month role reports to the Chief of Staff
and works closely with the Director of External Relations, the
Chief Executive Officer, and other senior leaders. The
position supports the day-to-day activities and administrative
operations of the school’s internal and external relations
strategy, including communications and marketing, fundraising,
event and meeting planning, board and executive team support, and
Communications and Marketing
- Support the Director of External Relations in executing a
marketing and communications strategy that tells the story of E.L.
Haynes, our programs, and our people;
- Support our family engagement and student recruitment
- Regularly update our staff Intranet and organizational website,
execute the monthly staff and family newsletters, and support
ongoing staff communications as needed; and
- Support the development and maintenance of all branded
materials, including, but not limited to all printed materials, and
branded swag. This role works closely with staff to ensure all
materials are appropriately branded, works closely with our
contract graphic designer to design school swag, and tracks and
coordinates purchasing with our vendors.
- Support the Chief of Staff and Director of External Relations
in all fundraising-related activities, including annual fund gift
tracking, stewardship, and more.
Event and Meeting Planning
- Support special events and major cross-campus and campus-based
events, including, but not limited to graduation and promotion
ceremonies, awards ceremonies, performances, our celebrations
during Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month, as well as
Family Day, Soccer Day, and EdFest; and
- Support meeting planning for the Leadership Teams, Board of
Trustees, and All-staff meetings and retreats.
Board and Executive Team Support
- Support the Chief of Staff and Chief Executive Officer in all
board management activities, including preparing materials and
spaces for monthly board meetings; and
- Provide key administrative and project support to the Chief
Executive Officer, Chief Academic Officer, Chief Talent Officer,
and Chief Financial Officer, as needed.
- A commitment to the E.L. Haynes mission and core
- Meticulous detail orientation, organization, and time
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills;
- Interest in communications, marketing, branding, fundraising,
- Experience in developing engaging and impactful communications
and presentations that honor diversity and inclusion;
- Experience identifying and seeking opportunities to dismantle
racial and other inequities in their work; adept at incorporating
inclusive practices (including language) and principles;
- Demonstrated strength in balancing strategy with application
- Experience working independently toward goals, communicating
effectively with colleagues, and engaging in feedback
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex
projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work
- Proficiency with Google Drive and Microsoft Office Suite;
- Humility, a sense of humor, and flexibility in a fast-paced
You might also have:
- A bachelor’s or advanced degree in a relevant field;
- Previous experience working WordPress, email marketing clients
(Network for Good, Constant Contact, etc.), and databases;
- Previous experience working in charter schools and/or
- Oral and/or written proficiency in Spanish.
We look forward to meeting you!
We proactively recruit, intentionally develop, and deeply value
all members of our diverse and highly talented staff community. Our
work environment fosters inclusion and authenticity, supporting all
staff to thrive in their roles and maximize their impact on our
Our hiring process consists of an online application, an initial
virtual interview, a performance task, and a panel
interview. Please see more here.
E.L. Haynes offers a competitive compensation and benefits
package. Click here to view our Employee Benefits
Spanish speakers and people of color are encouraged
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, we have reimagined our
safety and cleanliness procedures to keep our students, families,
and staff as safe as possible. More details can be