UltraViolet (UV) is hiring a Managing Director of Campaigns
(MDC) to mentor, oversee and grow a team of digital campaigners,
provide strategic leadership for our digital-first advocacy
campaigns, and serve as a senior leader on the campaign team as we
work to build durable power for the gender justice
The MDC will be joining UltraViolet at an exciting moment as we
move towards a structure that better supports our campaigns and
This is a new role presenting an exciting opportunity to help us
take our long term, flagship gender justice campaigns to the next
level, as well as be an active part of UV’s commitment to leading
with our anti-racist feminist, gender just values internally and
Reporting to the VP of Advocacy and Membership, the MDC will
directly supervise three Campaign Directors (one of whom manages
another campaign professional) with an emphasis on running
impactful campaigns while countering burnout, and bringing a
person-centered management style in alignment with our
organizational values and priorities to the team.
The MDC will also oversee the strategic advancement of our
flagship campaigns, guiding campaign directors and helping ensure
they see the forest for the trees and make tactical decisions that
will keep these campaigns focused on impact and goals.
The team led by the MDC will work in parallel with another team
led by the Managing Director of Growth and Member Experience, who
oversees our week-to-week member engagement and growth-oriented
rapid response work.
The role is fully remote, in an all-remote organization, with a
starting salary range of $115,000 to $135,000, plus a home office
stipend based on the cost of living in your location.
(Exceptionally qualified applicants with 8+ years of relevant
experience including at least 4 years of management experience may
be considered for a more senior version of this role and a salary
range of $130,000 to $150,000.)
The Managing Director of Campaigns oversees the
following areas of work:
Drives campaigning strategy:
- Provides in-depth, strategic input on all campaigns in order to
drive maximum impact, running our internal campaigning strategy
sessions and facilitating cross-campaign strategy
- Steps in and provides direct support on campaign projects,
including executing campaigns and special projects, when
- Establishes and executes processes so that campaigners develop
plans, strategies, tactics, and messaging that are in support of
overall campaign team goals.
- Works in partnership with campaign directors to identify
strategic opportunities to further our long-term campaign goals
through strategic planned and rapid response interventions.
- Leads creative idea generation processes for campaign tactics,
strategies, media plans, and new campaign ideas.
- Represents UV with partners and movement leaders at other
organizations to move our work forward and identifies growth
opportunities for UltraViolet in movement spaces.
- Works closely on a daily basis with the Managing Director of
Growth & Member Experience to ensure that campaigns are driving
member engagement and growing our base of action-takers, that we
have cohesive messaging across all channels including social media,
and that we are consistently ensuring alignment between rapid
response and flagship campaigns when there are connected
- Oversees communications consultants and ensure that
UltraViolet’s campaigns have a clear public communications
- Helps lead and prepare for weekly campaigns team calls and
daily conversations happening in Slack and over email, giving and
seeking routine input and assistance in making decisions.
Grows, supervises, and supports campaign team members:
- Builds, leads, and mentors a team of communications and
campaigns professionals with a focus on preventing burnout,
encouraging growth, and providing clear direction.
- Manages staff to consistently meet performance expectations and
routinely evaluates progress towards meeting expectations including
weekly 1-1s with all direct reports, regular two-way feedback with
reports, professional development plans, and annual
- Creates and implements decision-making processes which allow
people to engage in discussion but doesn't sacrifice the core
commitment to achieving results.
- Manages campaign team members towards strategic, measurable
campaign goals and revisions.
- Ensures campaign directors are participating in movement
spaces--conferences, coalition meetings, listservs, and
- Guides all campaign directors to setting and achieving their
individual goals including professional development, with the
intent to empower staff and support them in growth as
- Pitches in on all aspects of campaign planning and execution,
Serves as a leader across the organization:
- Serves as a member of the Leadership Team, an internal senior
leadership table composed of the executive team and director-level
staff leading specific organizationally operational areas of
- Communicates and coordinates effectively with the
organizational leaders outside the campaigns team; specifically the
finance, development, HR and operations teams; and ensures campaign
directors are collaborating well across the organization.
- Participates in leadership-level organizational processes and
decision-making, including annual goal and priority setting,
virtual and in-person retreats, staff and org development work,
always utilizing an equity and inclusion lens.
These are the required skills and experience for the
- Personal commitment to antiracist feminism and to UltraViolet's
mission to create a gender just future, as well as the ability to
bring a strong antiracist and intersectional feminist lens to all
aspects of your work.
- 5 or more years of experience working in digital campaigning,
digital organizing, mediagenic campaigns, or online advocacy for a
progressive organization or campaign; with at least 2 years of
- Sharp campaign strategy instincts and proven success overseeing
and driving digital campaigns.
- Expertise in campaign planning including goal setting,
insightful targeting, power mapping and targeting, pivoting at
strategic inflection points, and campaign plan writing and
- Knowledge and experience advocating for political and cultural
change in a digital-first environment.
- Knowledge of the digital-first advocacy model and expertise
with digital campaigning strategies, in particular email
- Knowledge of various digital tools including email, social
media, SMS, petitions, earned media, and high visibility
- Expertise with communications and media strategies (including
how to attract earned media).
- Strong writing skills.
We're hoping that you'll bring one or two (or more) of
these bonus skills and experiences:
- Expertise with one or more of our core areas of work: corporate
accountability, survivor justice and ending violence against women,
reproductive rights, worker rights, racial justice, and/or sexist
and racist disinformation.
- Ability to bring thought-leadership to our narrative and
storytelling work and experience shaping the narrative with the
- Experience working with ActionKit and/or ActBlue.
- Experience working for a nonprofit advocacy organization that
operates a PAC.
- Experience with federal legislative advocacy strategy.
- Experience with feminist and gender justice coalition
- Preexisting relationships with state-based groups working on
issues relevant to UV.
- Experience hiring and managing culturally inclusive, diverse,
- Experience leading effectively during times of organizational
growth and change.
You will thrive in this role if you're someone
- Thrives while working remotely, since we are an all-remote
- Is results-oriented–you’re always moving our campaigns and our
work towards our annual goals, and overall mission and vision.
- Enjoys mentoring and delegation, coaching staff to success, and
celebrating the entire team.
- Is an explicit, careful communicator who always leads by
- Is flexible and able to pivot quickly in a rapidly changing
environment, identifying new and impactful ways for us to do our
work and fulfill our mission.
- Is a smart, skilled, and experienced leader, supervisor, and
decision-maker who thrives in a low-ego, collaborative environment
that prioritizes work/life balance.
- Is an excellent project manager and can manage a project
seamlessly from start to finish.
Perks of working for UltraViolet:
- Fully remote workplace, with home office stipend based on
- Full health, dental, and vision benefits for employees, and
generous coverage for your family
- Four to six weeks of vacation, 14 paid holidays, 2 weeks off at
end of year, a shorter day on most Fridays
- 401(k) with a 5% employer contribution
- Sixteen weeks of parental leave, plus support for child care
for work-related events and travel
- The salary range for this position is $115,000 to $135,000,
plus a home office stipend based on the cost of living in your
location. Exceptionally qualified applicants with 8+ years of
relevant experience including at least 4 years of management
experience may be considered for a more senior version of this role
and a salary range of $130,000 to $150,000.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a
priority deadline of 11:59pm PT on July 4, 2022. Depending on
applicant volume and qualification, the process may include three
interviews, as well as a written component. Any applicants who are
invited to, and complete, the written component will be provided a
payment in appreciation, regardless of whether they are
subsequently selected to move forward.
- Apply via this link: https://ultraviolet.applytojob.com/apply/SUIdTMknj0/Managing-Director-Of-Campaigns
Since 2012, UltraViolet has been the premier national
organization advocating for a gender just future using creative,
strategic campaigning and digital-first organizing. UltraViolet
drives feminist cultural and political change by exposing the white
supremacist patriarchy and creating the conditions for a more just
and equitable world for all.
Together with our more than 1.2 million members, we have taken
over 17 million actions driving feminist cultural and political
change. UltraViolet members have taken down major misogynists from
Bill O'Reilly and Harvey Weinstein to Roger Ailes and Rick Ross,
led the fight nationwide to combat racist and sexist disinformation
during the 2020 election, campaigned for justice for women of color
murdered by law enforcement, forced Google to stop promoting
harmful and deceptive anti-abortion clinics, and more.
We work across a broad spectrum of interconnected issues that
impact women's lives, including violence against women,
disinformation, health care, economic security, reproductive
rights, and racial justice. In all of our work, we center frontline
communities disparately impacted by sexist policies and practices,
especially Black women, Indigenous women, women of color, people
with disabilities, low-income women, immigrants, survivors, and
If fighting for a gender just future--a world where all people
can thrive with freedom and dignity--ignites your passion, then
UltraViolet is the organization for you!
UltraViolet is a multi-racial, multi-gender organization. We
strongly encourage people of all genders, BIPOC people, LGBTQ+
people, people with disabilities, and those from other
systematically marginalized communities to apply.
UltraViolet is an equal employment opportunity employer and does
not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race,
color, religion, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status,
disability status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or
gender identity or expression, or membership in any other class
protected by applicable law. This applies to all terms and
conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of
absence, compensation and training. UltraViolet hires and promotes
individuals on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be
filled. We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply.