The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) is seeking a
Senior Development Officer for the College of Engineering
and the College of Science. The Senior Development Officer
implements strategies for identifying, cultivating, stewarding, and
successfully soliciting individuals, corporations, and foundations
for major and planned gifts of $25,000 and greater to support their
assigned colleges. The Senior Development Officer represents the
College of Engineering and the College of Science in campus
activities, community events, and organizations that further the
development of major and planned gift donors to the University.
This position requires sensitive interaction with a variety of
internal and external constituencies. The scope of the job requires
travel as well as attendance at evening and/or weekend activities,
events, meetings, and visits to prospects/donors in their homes and
offices throughout the Huntsville community and occasionally
Major Gifts Planning and Donor Relations
- Serve as the primary Development contact for potential gifts
and pledges of $25K and above and/or as otherwise needed and
- Collaborate with the VP for University Advancement and assigned
College Deans in Development matters.
- Serve as main point of contact for the leadership of each
assigned college in an effort to determine and understand each
unit’s top fund-raising priorities. Collaborate with University
leaders to determine top prospective donors and potential gift
- Manage and expand a portfolio of donors and prospective donors,
including individuals, corporations, and foundations for assigned
- Develop and implement strategies for identifying, cultivating,
and soliciting individuals, corporations, and foundations for gifts
of $25K and greater.
- Secure gifts of $25K or greater by successfully moving through
the donor gift cycle with proven relationship management and moves
- Track prospective donors and donors through the stages of
identification, qualification, cultivation, intent to solicit,
solicit, and stewardship. Keep a record of the process in
- Personally conduct one-on-one visits with prospects and donors
to secure gifts that are transformational for assigned colleges and
meet unit priorities.
- Represent assigned colleges and the University at fundraising
and donor cultivation events.
- Travel, as necessary, to cultivate donor relations and donor
prospects through out-of-town appointments, meetings, and
conferences; work nights and weekends, as required; and manage
personal travel arrangements and calendar.
Management and Coordination of Gifts
- Develop creative and innovative giving initiatives
collaboratively with the Deans and VP for University Advancement to
generate excitement among alumni to increase alumni giving
participation rates using best practices and initiatives that have
been successful at peer and aspirant institutions.
- Coordinate all aspects of donor check presentations with the
Office of Alumni Relations/Special Events, submit photography and
donor story requests to the Office of Marketing and Communications,
and handle all other assigned stewardship tasks for all appropriate
gifts in the assigned colleges, including all gifts secured by the
Vice President for University Advancement.
- Work in collaboration with the VPUA and the College Deans to
ensure the success of the University’s planned giving program.
- Work collaboratively with and in support of other
development/advancement staff, other college and UAH Foundation
representatives, volunteers, and other University
- Work collaboratively on written development materials,
including solicitations, proposals, gift agreements, and
- Coordinate documentation for all in-kind gifts to the
University for assigned colleges.
Support of Annual Giving
- Assist Annual Giving Officer by coordinating solicitation
plans, providing insight on donor intel, sharing best practices,
helping with mailings, and providing support as needed.
- Assist in the direction and development of annual giving days,
crowd-funding campaigns, senior gift campaigns, and the like.
- Co-supervise the development of written materials, including
draft language for website updates, brochures, giving proposals,
and other marketing and collateral materials for relevant areas and
Data Management and Administration
- Gather and manage data, ensure appropriate documentation,
prepare various reports, perform metrics tracking, and prepare
regular progress reporting on fundraising targets through
standardized reporting tools as assigned. Utilize database and
spreadsheets to record activities and outcomes.
- Meet performance metrics as established in collaboration with
the Deans of assigned colleges and VP for University
- Perform Development-related administrative tasks including but
not limited to taking and disseminating detailed minutes/notes from
internal and assigned Development meetings; scheduling meetings
with Deans, Directors and other colleagues in need of Development
assistance; coordinating visits with prospects and donors; and
serving as point person for assigned Development events.
MINIMUM UNIVERSITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education and
- Three (3) years of frontline fundraising, marketing, sales,
and/or public relations experience.
- Experience in fundraising with a demonstrated record of success
in soliciting and securing philanthropic gifts.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills and a
demonstrated commitment to responsiveness and professionalism.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office software with the
ability to manipulate and manage large data sets. Proven strong
organizational, project management, and analytical skills.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Occasional travel and evening and weekend work is a requirement
of this position. A valid driver's license is required.
- Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and one writing
sample in order to be considered for this position.
- Master’s degree.
- Four (4) or more years of frontline fundraising, marketing,
sales, and/or public relations experience.
- Demonstrated record of success in major gift fundraising in a
public university setting.
- Experience using complex databases (e.g., CRM Advance, Raiser’s
Edge, Millennium) and research tools (e.g., ResearchPoint,
- Professional certification.
SALARY: $80,000 – $95,250, commensurate with
To apply, please visit the
UAH Careers webpage.