The University of Missouri School of Medicine is seeking an
Advancement Officer to join our fundraising team to raise
significant funds from a select group of individuals and alumni.
This professional will work closely with the school’s Dean and the
Advancement team to advance the mission of the school.
As the first publicly supported medical school west of the
Mississippi River, the MU School of Medicine has improved health,
education, and research since 1872. More Missouri physicians
received their medical degree from MU than from any other
university. The school boasts over 7,500 alumni/residents and 680
faculty physicians and scientists who educate more than 1,000
medical students, residents, fellows and others seeking advanced
Reporting to the School’s Executive Director of
Advancement, this position will:
- Identify prospective individual donors through discovery
- Initiate cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies
for major gifts ($50,000 and above) with clear and measurable
- Assist the Executive Director in the School of Medicine in
identifying funding opportunities in alignment with MU’s
fundraising priorities, the School’s strategic priorities, and
- Draft and prepare proposals and accompanying letters and
materials for use in a progressing portfolio.
- Actively engage in school and college donor and alumni
functions, collaborate as a member of the larger Mizzou Advancement
team, participate in prospect strategy sessions, and portfolio
- Assist with other development projects as needed, to include
school and campus-wide initiatives.
- Perform required recordkeeping related to portfolio
Ideal Competencies of a Successful
- Collaborator with the ability to work, formally and informally,
within the team and across the organization.
- Effective communicator with the ability to share ideas,
thoughts, and facts orally and in writing and who can actively
listen and respond appropriately.
- Familiar with technology and database applications.
- Critical thinker with the ability to analyze and evaluate
information and make appropriate decisions.
- Donor-focused with the ability to learn and understand
organizational relationships and dynamics and use them to achieve
objectives and goals.
Yearly Goals & Metrics
- $500K- $1M Dollars Raised
- 12-18 Major Gift Proposals Presented ($50K and above)
- 7-15 Major Gifts Closed ($50K and above)
- 125-200 Substantive Written Communications (Email, Letter, or
- 125-150 Substantive Visits (Phone, Virtual, or In-Person)
- 20-50 Evaluation Visits
At the University of Missouri Office of Advancement, we invest
in our employees. Once you join our team, you will participate
in the Discipline of Frontline Fundraising (DFF) program with Plus
Delta Partners, a 9-month series of fundraising workshops and 1:1
skill building. Ensuring you have the tools to succeed is an
Advancement priority. Your success as a gift officer will have a
direct and lasting impact on Mizzou and the priorities of the
Salary Range: Compensation for this position starts at
Our team knows that fundraising is a special niche, which is why
we are open to transferable skills! If you have experience
that translates to fundraising, tell us about it in your cover
letter. These skills include, but are not limited to, sales,
finance, consulting, non-profit work, higher education experience,
etc. We are excited to learn more about you and your
- A four-year degree from an accredited college or university or
equivalent combination of education and experience from which
comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is
- 2 years fundraising experience, alumni/volunteer relations or
public relations; or equivalent transferable skills showing an
understanding of the development model, i.e. pursuing and
cultivating donors, customers, or business relationships.
- Knowledge of higher education and health advancement