The Program Officer is a member of
Piper Trust’s program/grantmaking team and works closely with all
Program staff and across all Trust teams including, grants
management, finance, strategic learning, and communications; the
Program Officer also works collaboratively with colleagues from
other foundations and nonprofits, locally and nationally. In this
position, the Program Officer is initially the primary contact for
nonprofits wishing to submit proposals to the Trust. The ideal
candidate possesses a passion for the mission of the Trust and high
degree of intellectual curiosity.
- Identify prospective grantees; review and respond to grant
- Analyze project proposals and work with grant seekers to
- Prepare recommendations for Trust funding or rationale for
- Monitor compliance with reporting requirements; assess
- Other duties as
- An advanced degree in social sciences, education, health, or a
related field is preferred along with seven years (minimum) of
professional nonprofit experience.
- Substantial experience working in one or more of the Trust’s
focus areas (e.g., early childhood development, youth, older
adults, arts and culture, healthcare and medical research).
- Deep knowledge of Maricopa County’s nonprofit community and the
intersection between government and nonprofit sectors.
- Understanding the philanthropic sector, its role in the
community, and stewardship of limited resources.
- Experience working with dynamic databases, managing budgets,
and working with foundation and nonprofit boards.
The Successful Candidate Demonstrates
- Excellent writing skills; can synthesize complex information
into concise written/verbal
- Strong skills in: public speaking, project
coordination/management, multi-tasking, and prioritizing/executing
- Strong interpersonal skills; flexibility and capacity to work
in a collegial and collaborative environment, active listening,
active meeting participation, timely identification and resolution
of conflicts, objectivity and openness to other views.
- Ability to deliver thoughtful and effective feedback to grant
- Ability to travel within Maricopa County to participate in
internal and external meetings/engagements.
- Commitment to continuous knowledge, skill building, and pursuit
- Personal integrity, high professional standards, intellectual
curiosity, and an ability to establish mutual accountability and
- Attributes of a servant leader.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
The Program Officer role is a professional, full-time, exempt
position; salary range is $75-$90K annually and is commensurate
with experience. Piper Trust also provides a comprehensive health
benefits and retirement package, and a flexible work environment
(with requirements of local residency and transportation). The
Trust conducts a pre-employment background check and observes a
90-day introductory period for all positions.
Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust is a private foundation and
an equal opportunity employer. All employees and applicants are
afforded equal opportunities for employment without discrimination
of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital
status, national origin, disability, or any other protected
characteristic established by law.
How to Apply: View online job
description at: pipertrust.org/employment.
Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three
professional references as a single Word or PDF document to: