President & Chief Executive Officer
Philanthropy West Virginia seeks applications for its next
President & CEO. Founded to better connect local philanthropy,
support rural communities, and increase investments in the Mountain
State, Philanthropy WV serves West Virginia’s community, private,
family, and corporate foundations; united ways; giving circles,
government funders, and private philanthropists. As a dynamic
leadership organization based in and serving rural communities, the
organization has evolved from initial volunteer led efforts to a
diverse and mission driven philanthropic network. The organization
includes a staff team with four full-time employees and two
part-time employees, a board of fourteen members, and numerous
The role of the President & CEO is to advance the
organization’s mission, vision, values, and sustainability and to
foster statewide and national leadership in philanthropy. This is a
full-time exempt position and reports directly to the Board of
Directors. The Philanthropy WV office is based in Morgantown, WV.
Philanthropy WV is committed to practicing and advancing diversity
and inclusion through a diverse staff team and inclusive work
environment. Philanthropy West Virginia is an equal opportunity
employer. The salary range for the position is $84,000 to
$98,500/year along with generous benefits, including health,
dental, and life insurance, PTO, and, after one year of service, a
contribution to a retirement account.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required in relevant sector.
- 10 years’ experience in nonprofit, philanthropic, foundation
and/or business sectors with a proven record of executive
- Previous success in resource and fund development.
- Demonstrated proficiency in staff supervision and mentoring,
consultant/contractor oversight, and general operations; committed
to the personal and professional development of the team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communications, writing, and
organizational skills; ability to multi-task and work under
pressure on multiple projects.
- Prior experience as a grant maker or as a grantee; familiar
with the process of grant writing.
- Understanding of financial management principles and practices
that guide nonprofit and philanthropic organizations.
- Knowledge of the philanthropic landscape in West Virginia,
central Appalachia, and/or rural communities with similar issues
- A successful track record of creating collaborative and high
performing work environments and managing organizational
- An understanding of and interest in the complex local, state
and national public policy dynamics that impact philanthropy.
- Ability to steward a committed volunteer Board and maximize its
- Comfortable working varying hours, including nights and
Qualified applicants please submit a cover letter and resume to
CEOsearch@philanthropywv.org. The deadline for
applications is June 30, 2022. For more
information on Philanthropy WV, visit www.philanthropywv.org.
The President & Chief Executive Officer provides leadership
and direction that contributes positively to the organization’s
development and sustainability, positions the statewide leadership
organization as a launch point for philanthropy in the Mountain
State, and fosters effective partnerships with staff, board
members, organization members, partners, and local and national
- Delivers executive leadership for the organization and
stewardship of its resources.
- Advances and champions the shared vision for Philanthropy WV,
implements the strategic plan, and provides intentional direction
toward accomplishing the organization’s goals.
- Works with and mentors a diverse staff team, consultants, and
- Applies best practices for accountability, priority setting,
equity and inclusion, and delegation that empowers staff to
maximize their work, performance, and impact.
Board, Committee, and Working Group
- Works with the board of directors, committees, and working
groups to effectively implement and advance Philanthropy WV’s
mission, vision, values, and goals.
- Identifies and communicates key issues, recommends strategies
to address them, and develops the appropriate action plans and
partnerships needed to achieve long-term goals.
- Recognizes the value and importance of effectively engaging
board, committee, and working group volunteer leadership
efficiently to facilitate the organization’s leadership initiatives
- Provides leadership, direction, and assistance for the
recruitment and retention of members.
- Delivers content, connects, collaborates, and inspires
philanthropy through networking,
educational, and professional development programs throughout the
Public Policy Advocacy:
- Serves as a strategist and resource in leading advocacy efforts
with the Public Policy & Advocacy Committee and partners
including the WV Nonprofit Association.
- Ensures effective federal and state government relationships
that advance the work of philanthropy and nonprofits in serving
West Virginia’s citizens, advancing opportunities to increase
philanthropic giving, and increasing financial support for our
- Represents and advocates for Philanthropy WV and the
- Serves as Philanthropy WV’s chief spokesperson to diverse
audiences with varied understanding of philanthropy (national,
state, and local).
- Markets the organization as the statewide resource in
- Manages the public relations and perception of the
organization; favorably positions it with various constituents,
attracting new members, and engaging national funders/government
grantmakers as partners with local philanthropy in West Virginia
Cultivating a Culture of Service & Partnerships
- Builds integrity-driven partnerships that cultivate a highly
connected membership and stakeholders in order to build a strong
philanthropic community in West Virginia and neighboring
- Uses the integrity-driven partnership model to explore
opportunities with peer organizations, the United Philanthropy
Forum network, fellow nonprofits and funders, and other partners
for new programming and communication opportunities on relevant
national, state, regional, and local issues.
- Secures the financial resources needed to execute the strategic
plan, programming, and priorities of the organization.
- Transitions the organization to its new business model and
accelerates the growth and diversification of members to engage the
evolving and growing charitable giving and philanthropy
- Ensures the organization is efficient and effective in staff
leadership, utilizing technology, partnerships, and investing
available resources in local businesses.
- In partnership with the Director of Operations & Revenue,
develops and manages the annual budget, monitors the financial
impact of programmatic decisions, and allocates resources
- Works collaboratively with the Director of O&R and the
Board Treasurer on long-term revenue, investor stewardship, and
- Supports and maximizes the use of efficient and cost-effective
technology to manage the organization.