Consumer Federation of America (CFA), one of the nation’s
leading nonprofit consumer advocacy organizations, seeks a
full-time Development and Membership Director to lead our ongoing
fundraising and membership needs. Reporting to and in partnership
with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Development and
Membership Director (Director) will drive all institutional and
personal fundraising efforts, spearhead development efforts and
lead CFA’s recruitment, retention, and engagement of members. A new
position in the organization, the Director will have the
opportunity to build the development and membership function. This
professional must have an established background in coordinating
nonprofit fundraising strategies, with a proven record of success,
and have experience with member recruitment, services, and
The Consumer Federation of America (CFA) is an association of
non-profit consumer organizations that was established in 1968 to
advance the consumer interest through research, advocacy, and
education. Today, more than 250 of these groups participate in the
federation and govern it through their representatives on the
organization’s Board of Directors.
- Develop and execute CFA’s annual and long-term fundraising
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations,
associations, and corporations as appropriate in partnership with
the CEO and the Board.
- Build the fundraising capacity of the CEO and Board, while also
facilitating and supporting their development efforts.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major
- Develop, manage, and track proposals and reports for all
foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Lead CFA’s overall efforts to recruit, retain, and engage
- Obtain financial support and sponsorship for CFA.
- Prepare strategies for fundraising, implementation, and
evaluation of development efforts.
- Develop and organize all aspects of CFA’s fundraising
- Train staff and Board of Directors to support fundraising
efforts and support those efforts by drafting communications and
proposals, overseeing and directing solicitation preparations and
follow up, and partnering to develop customized strategies for
- Maintain ongoing relationships with all donors and seek new
donors and sponsors.
- Work with CFA staff experts to implement strategies to form
strong relationships with donors and keep them informed of the
utilization of financial contributions.
- Motivate donors to provide financial support.
- Create reports to analyze and measure fundraising and
- Collaborate with CFA staff and Board of Directors to organize
and plan creative ways to implement new fundraising
- Collaborate with staff to plan and write grant proposals.
- Remain aware of fundraising trends in the nonprofit
- Partner with CFA’s CEO, staff, and relevant members of the
Board of Directors in the execution of donor engagement and
- Collaborate with CFA staff and Board members to:
- Develop and implement a member engagement, retention, and
- Develop strategies and programs to increase member engagement,
retention, and recruitment.
- Identify opportunities and collaborate with colleagues to
enhance member benefits and services offered by CFA.
- Develop one-on-one relationships with members, including
identifying unique member needs, determining program priorities,
and assessing overall level of engagement/satisfaction.
- Evaluate CFA’s current member roster, new member processes and
procedures to determine effectiveness.
- Improve membership evaluation, processes, and procedures.
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- Five-plus years’ experience in development
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and
- Proven track record of prospecting, soliciting, and securing
major gifts from foundations, individual donors, and corporate
- Experience in writing successful foundation, government and
corporate grant proposals.
- Effective communication skills, including written,
interpersonal, and verbal.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Experience in managing and tracking funds received from donors
and analyzing the collected data to determine effectiveness.
- Knowledge and experience in fundraising theories, principles,
- Proficient with social media platforms and donor management
- Experience in strengthening and building non-profit
- Experience working with nonprofit advocacy-oriented
- 100% employer-paid health care, dental, vision, and long-term
- Three weeks paid vacation to start and three personal days
- Federal holidays
- Generous paid sick leave
- 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution after the
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Consumer Federation of America is an Equal Opportunity and
Affirmative Action Employer and encourages applications from all
qualified individuals without regard to race, color, national
origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age,
disability, or veteran status, or to other non-work-related
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this
application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the
employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to: Sara
Cooper, 202-939-1014, firstname.lastname@example.org.