The Philanthropy Officer will play a critical role in increasing
donor support and acts as an ambassador for the Kean University
Foundation. Responsibilities include: new donor
identification, cultivation and stewardship of existing donors to
increase overall retention and giving levels, and where assigned
relationship management between donors and other staff who work
with them. Goal is to secure $250,000 in philanthropic
support during the initial year, thereafter $750,000 annually.
Donor Relations Management
- Maintain a personal portfolio of up to 100 major gift prospects
(defined as those capable giving a gift of $25,000+).
- Serve as the primary relationship manager for this portfolio of
prospects, developing and implementing a written donor strategy and
relationship record (using Raisers Edge) of all interactions.
- Communicate with portfolio through face to face cultivation,
solicitation and stewardship meetings, and written strategies;
ensure that each major donor and prospect has a clear strategy and
timeline for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Develop solicitation strategies for donors / prospects in
support of the organization's annual fund, planned giving, and
growth campaigns; ensure strategies are compatible and maximize
opportunities with other existing campaigns and appeals.
- Support the fundraising efforts of the Chief Executive Officer
of the Foundation and as assigned university leadership (President,
Dean, Athletic Director) in securing new and renewed gifts.
- Utilizing Raisers Edge and internal tracking charts track and
report on progress to goal including contacts, gifts, and
- Screen and prepare profiles of current and prospective
- Ensure proper donor recognition in all publications and donor
lists for those prospects in portfolio.
- Provide analysis and recommendations based on reporting.
- Provide detailed prospect reports for University Leaders as
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience plus a minimum of
3-5 years (direct or equivalent) experience managing high level
donor relationships with demonstrated success in closing gifts of
$10,000 and above.
- Ability to conceive, plan, and execute a major gifts program,
including: annual giving, special events, and special
- Excellent grasp of Raisers Edge database software.
- Willingness to be hands-on in a role that is demanding and
requires a high level of energy and professionalism.
- High level proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word
and Excel, and a working knowledge of search functions for donor
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to communicate
professionally with a culturally diverse group of co-workers and
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and
ability to prioritize workload in a timely manner to complete
assignments with many deadlines and competing requirements.