Horizons for Homeless Children is seeking a Managing Director of
Development to provide innovative and strategic leadership, a
commitment to philanthropic engagement and growth, and a passion
for its compelling mission. They will actively engage in the
cultivation and solicitation of a portfolio of high-net-worth
individuals and will manage the day-to-day operations, systems, and
processes to achieve and exceed annual goals.
For more than 30 years, Horizons for Homeless Children
has been the only organization in Massachusetts focused exclusively
on the needs of homeless children and families and alleviating the
trauma and stress of homelessness on both children and their
families. Prior to Covid 1,200 children were served weekly through
their Early Education Centers and Playspace Program throughout the
Commonwealth. Horizons currently serves 500 children and their
families and looks forward to welcoming more children back to their
The Managing Director of Development will be a seasoned
fundraiser and manager, with expertise in major gifts and special
events. They will be adept at creating and implementing data-driven
strategies to advance relationships and philanthropy and will be an
empathetic and empowering manager, engaging a team to the highest
levels of performance and impact.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer, the incoming
Managing Director of Development will serve as an integral member
of the organization, providing inspiring and strategic leadership
to advance this critical mission.
Experience & Qualifications
- Strong passion for Horizon’s mission to improve the lives of
young homeless children.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive development experience,
including major gifts and special events, team leadership and
- Demonstrated success building philanthropic relationships and
- Experience leveraging individual, corporate and foundation
relationships to access new sources of support.
- A proven track record of effective team management, including
the ability to inspire, mentor, and develop staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a passion for creating
relationships and optimizing the talents of Board members,
colleagues, and staff.
- A commitment to Horizons’ six key initiatives toward advancing
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
- Ensure inclusive recruitment and hiring practices.
- Promote communities of belonging and learning.
- Cultivate diverse leadership from within the organization.
- Guarantee equity in compensation and performance management
- Establish leadership accountability.
- Continue the educational journey collectively and
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, positive attitude, and
- Strong working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge is beneficial.
Salary and Benefits:
- The salary for this position is $150,000
- Horizons is pleased to offer comprehensive and generous
benefits to its employees
To apply or nominate someone, please send cover letter and
resume to Wendy Wilsker, Managing Partner, Boyden Boston at