Reporting to the Associate VP for Advancement Operations, the
Director Annual Fund Campaigns. is responsible for overseeing the
Annual Fund’s omni-channel marketing efforts including direct mail,
e-mail, social, digital, video, telefund, print outreach and
stewardship utilizing advanced segmentation and data analytics
techniques to solicit an alumni base of more than 90,000 graduates
that includes Saint Joseph’s Alumni and University of the Sciences
Alumni (as of June 1, 2022, the University of the Sciences will be
part of Saint Joseph’s University). The primary goal is to
significantly raise participation rates, with an emphasis on
undergraduate giving, while increasing revenue in accordance with
University initiatives at SJU.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction to segmentation directed toward
growing donor count through acquisition of new donors and retention
of current donors
- Collaborate with Saint Joseph’s University Advancement
colleagues and leadership across the four colleges/schools (as of
6/1/22) and Athletics to ensure the timely and accurate execution
and fulfillment of broad-based solicitation programs including
major digital campaigns (e.g. crowdfunding and day(s) of
- Partner with other central advancement offices (Alumni
Relations, Major Gifts, School/College/Athletics fundraising,
Stewardship, Information System and Gifts & Records) to plan
and implement a comprehensive marketing strategy for Annual
- Lead and support efforts on the use of volunteers to support
annual giving initiatives.
- Responsible for sourcing vendors, monitoring activity, and
sustaining productive relationships to meet aggressive goals in
participation through current use giving.
- Engage with University Marketing & Communications staff for
creative and production marketing support for annual giving
- Oversee the day-to-day management of a staff that lead young
alumni and other affinity group engagement to ensure that donor
goals and expectations are met.
- Conduct proactive analysis of segment and marketing channel
performance and research (data mining, modeling, surveys, focus
groups, benchmarking). Translate key findings into strategic and
actionable recommendations. Communicate recommended strategy to
leadership and other constituencies through meetings, reports and
- Serves as a member of the Alumni Engagement leadership team in
the strategic planning and execution of Annual Giving and Alumni
Relations goals to meet initiatives of the Campaign.
- Serve as the lead project manager for SJU Giving Day, an
initiative that typically raises approximately $600,000 annually
from more than 3,500 unique donors.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work
- Ability to travel outside Philadelphia region
- Evening/weekend hours required, especially during academic
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strategic thinker with the ability to execute in multiple
channels simultaneously: direct and volunteer solicitation; print
and electronic direct marketing; and social media.
- Have a passion for innovation and risk-taking, balancing these
qualities with an appreciation of the traditions that are the
legacy of decades of SJU donors and volunteers.
- 5-8 years of work experience, including a minimum of five years
of experience in development or alumni relations with demonstrated
success in leading and growing an annual giving program, preferably
in an institution of higher education.
- Hands on experience managing all facets of an annual fund with
a multi-channeled marketing program, with expertise in innovative
digital marketing, ideally in a higher education private
institution in a campaign environment.
- Experience managing a team of professionals performing in a
fast paced, deadline driven environment with ability to motivate,
grow, and retain high performers.
Outstanding oral and written communication and presentation
skills are required.
- Master’s preferred
- Knowledge and implementation of best practices in data
analytics utilizing current industry trends is preferred
- Experience in private higher education fundraising
On-line applications only. Please provide a letter of
application/interest and resume. For a complete description
of position responsibilities, qualifications, and to apply, please
Saint Joseph's University is a private, Catholic, and Jesuit
institution and expects members of its community to be
knowledgeable about its mission and make positive contributions to
that mission. Saint Joseph's is an equal opportunity employer that
seeks to recruit, develop and retain a talented and diverse