The Daily Orange, the independent student news organization at
Syracuse University, seeks a fundraising manager to develop and
grow the organization's network of donors, while also finding new
opportunities to bring revenue into the 501(c)(3) organization. The
ideal candidate will have a passion for working with students,
journalism, and an interest in exploring the future of nonprofit
news. Strong social and communications skills are a must. The
position is part-time, 2–3 days per week, with flexible hours and
- Evaluate the current donor relations program, and design,
document and implement best practices going forward.
- Establish and manage professional donor tracking processes,
including acknowledgment and recognition.
- Work to cultivate past and current donors and members to
enhance their relationship with The Daily Orange, while also
increasing the likelihood of continued contributions.
- Sit on the Board of Directors and actively participate in the
fundraising and alumni relations committees.
- Attend internal and external meetings, fairs and community
events as appropriate.
- Discover donor/grant opportunities that align with The Daily
Orange mission statement, and work with student journalists to
create engagement initiatives and opportunities.
- Create year-round engagement strategies to retain current and
attract new donors.
- Provide professional assistance and interaction with grant
organizations and donors (via phone, computer and
- Be comfortable or willing to familiarize oneself with grant
writing processes and support the board as they pursue grants.
- Ability to convey a high degree of commitment to the mission of
The Daily Orange.
- Ability to work with student leaders and business manager of
The Daily Orange newspaper and take direction from the Board of
- Excellent written and oral communication skills that are
effective with a diverse range of audiences including board
members, volunteers, internal staff, donors, executives, potential
funding partners and all constituencies.
- Exceptional understanding of philanthropy as it relates to the
not-for-profit organization and a wide and deep knowledge of
fundamental disciplines of resource development.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team;
detail-oriented, well organized, focused and goal-oriented, with a
high level of initiative and energy, as well as problem-solving
- Prior experience in database management as well as knowledge of
CRM databases required.
- The knowledge and ability to create, execute and/or support,
and oversee a comprehensive donor acknowledgment and recognition
plan, including advising on complex and carefully orchestrated
cultivation events and programs for the major donors.
Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) with a minimum two years of
nonprofit donor relations experience.
Donor management software experience (Raiser’s Edge,
Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and
Excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills
Salary & Benefits
$30+/hr, salary and other benefits negotiable based on
experience and hours. Bonus arrangement based on fundraising goals
We acknowledge that not all interested may have every
qualification listed above. If you think you’d be a good fit but
don’t meet all the requirements, please apply — we’re looking for
the right person, not just someone with technical skills.
How to Apply
Apply via LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3108974197/ -
or by emailing email@example.com