Senior Marketing Manager, Direct Mail
- Doctors Without Borders USA
- New York, United States
- $90,000.00 - $100,000.00
- Closing date
- Jul 20, 2022
- Position Type
- Fundraising, Direct Marketing
- Health, International
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Organization: Doctors Without Borders | Médecins Sans Frontières
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $600 million annually to support the mission of the organization. The Integrated Channel Marketing (ICM) team functions as an internal agency in collaboration with the Audience teams to drive donor-centric integrated marketing efforts, including prospect, renewal and cultivation fundraising campaigns.
Are you a creative and collaborative innovator with a talent for engaging audiences and inspiring them to action? Do you have a passion and expertise for all things direct mail, from storytelling and graphic design to envelope paper stock, reply device testing, acquisition list strategy, audience segmentation, and more? If so, we have a position for you.
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is seeking a full-time Senior Marketing Manager, Direct Mail to develop and lead a multi-year revenue and donor growth strategy that will take our already vibrant direct mail program to the next level. As the direct mail channel manager you will collaborate with audience teams from entry-level to Sustainers, Midlevel, Major Gifts, and Planned Giving, to deliver renewal, upgrade, retention, lead-generation and acquisition.
Your priority will be to leverage donor-centric audience storytelling initiatives and tactical innovations that drive revenue, improve efficiencies and optimize the multi-channel donor experience. You will play a pivotal role on a dynamic, diverse, and growing integrated marketing team.
On any given day you might:
- Participate in an omnichannel fundraising campaign kickoff session across channels, audiences, and departments, offering strategic, creative, and analytical insights
- Collaborate with the Research and Analytics team to uncover donor insights and learnings that help inform testing for your next acquisition direct mail ideation sprint
- Coach your team and vendors, help troubleshoot roadblocks and propose solutions as needed when campaign prioritization conflicts arise
- Discussing innovative audience acquisition test approaches with our list brokerage agency
- Work to ensure all direct mail campaign content and imagery is in line with our commitment to walk the walk (not just talk the talk) on anti-racism, diversity, equity and inclusion
- Interview a recently returned surgeon, logistician, or midwife to better understand MSF’s mission and the stories and messages you are bringing to life for our donors every day
- Lead a creative brainstorming sprint session with vendor partners and a core internal team to ready a rapid response approach for a headline-making emergency
You will report to the Director of Integrated Channel Marketing, and supervise the direct the Marketing Manager, Direct Mail. Your responsibilities will include:
Direct Mail Campaign Strategy and Execution
- Lead direct mail campaign and content strategy. Collaborate with Research & Analytics, Communications and Programs and agency partners to to meet revenue and activation targets.
- Deliver effective Audience messaging. Collaborate with Audience teams on segmentation and targeting, message customization, and audience-first thinking.
- Lead direct mail growth. Manage agency partners and stakeholders to create and execute growth strategies for acquisition, renewal, upgrade and retention.
- Guide acknowledgement program strategy and execution. Evaluate, design and optimize donor journeys by adding new touch points that are aligned with other channels.
- Direct efforts to improve operational efficiencies. Ensure a balance of strategic improvements while driving increased speed to market and delivery of on time mail campaigns.
- Lead direct mail rapid-response efforts when emergencies strike. Help initiate and coordinate cultivation and fundraising strategic initiatives in moments of crisis and disaster.
- Lead preparation and management of budget, revenue projections and spend.
Testing, Insights and Innovation
- Testing & Innovation. Work with agency partners to design and execute an innovative, best-in-class direct mail program to deepen the donor experience across all audiences.
- Data and Analytics. Lead data-driven decision making for mail. Provide results assessment and recommendations to audience managers in order to drive file health KPIs.
- Insights and expertise. Monitor performance with a focus on improving acquisition, retention, and engagement. Define, measure and report on ROI, KPIs and benchmarks.
You’re an expert direct mail marketer with your ear to the ground for industry trends and production efficiencies. You excel at both big-picture strategic thinking and managing effective execution. You are results-oriented and have a data-driven decision-making approach.
- Minimum 3 years of directly relevant direct mail experience.
- Proven ability to develop successful strategies and drive revenue growth.
- A creative and collaborative colleague and problem solver with strong analytical skills.
- Comfortable performing analysis of channel conversion and ROI and making recommendations to drive continuous improvement.
- A track record of successful teamwork and collaboration, developing and maintaining strong working relationships and building buy-in with diverse groups.
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience with audience targeting, list management, segmentation and mail acquisition.
- Proven ability to manage staff and vendors and influence colleagues and leadership to get results. Strong leadership, coaching, and delegation skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and an ability to present and persuade.
- Comfortable in a fast-moving, constantly evolving environment, able to operate and collaborate across multiple teams, pivot and adapt to change, and thrive in a fast-paced culture.
- Willingness to commit to the principles of MSF, passion for MSF’s mission and brand.
Preferred, but not required
- Non-profit and/or fundraising experience
- Project management experience
Expected to work in a hybrid remote work environment with the ability to come into either the NYC office or regional hub (Washington, DC or Bay Area, California) a minimum of 2 times a week.
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Salaried Exempt
Starting salary low 90's to 100k (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)
Please note that relocation assistance and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
We do not accept phone calls during the recruitment process Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert