Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate
change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people
like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit
with a growing staff of more than 850 people in nearly 30
countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate
pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the
effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can
have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to
governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, https://www.edf.org/our-mission-and-values.
Click or tap if you trust this link."
data-linkindex="0">values and https://www.edf.org/diversity.
Click or tap if you trust this link."
href="https://www.edf.org/diversity" target="_blank" rel="noopener"
data-auth="Verified" data-linkindex="1">commitment to
diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place
to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join
With world attention focused on both the environment and the
economy, Environmental Defense Fund
(EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn
for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from
Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by
focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based
approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes
diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation
and a focus on results are a way of life.
This position is part of the EDF’s Donor Engagement and Events
team within Development and is responsible for engaging existing
donors and building EDF’s pipeline of support through events, field
trips and targeted programming.
This position can work from EDF’s New York or San Francisco
offices and can work remotely up to 3 days per week.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Donor Engagement and Events,
the Senior Manager, Volunteer and Donor Engagement will develop and
manage engagement opportunities for current and prospective lead
donors and volunteers, including representatives of institutional
funders. In partnership with senior Development staff, gift
officers and other senior leaders, the Senior Manager will develop
custom engagement opportunities including field trips, events, and
learning and networking opportunities that provide high level
constituents with exclusive experiences that strengthen their
relationship and commitment to EDF. They will work closely with
colleagues on the Donor Engagement and Events team to plan and
execute these opportunities and ensure appropriate follow up.
The Senior Manager will manage the ongoing engagement
of Environmental Leaders, an existing group of
emerging philanthropists and volunteers in their late 20s-early 40s
and those in their networks. This includes relationship management
with individual members, developing an annual calendar of meetings
and events in consultation with program staff and core group
members, managing the recruitment of additional core group members,
and expanding the impact of the group. As needed, this position
will also provide general donor event planning support, including
for virtual and in-person major donor events, and staffing support
for EDF Board of Trustee meetings.
- Develop trusting relationships with all members
of Environmental Leaders and develop
individualized engagement plans in partnership with portfolio
- Develop a multi-year strategic plan for Environmental
Leaders group expansion and building engagement
strategies for the extended networks of core group members.
- Schedule and plan an annual calendar of Environmental
Leaders meetings and events for core group members and
- Create the Environmental Leaders monthly
e-mail update and track relevant analytics.
- Execute a system for tracking the Environmental
Leaders’ impact on EDF’s program work, leadership
pipeline development, and fundraising goals.
- Working in partnership with donor managers, develop tailored
engagement ideas that support donor strategies and Development
- Arrange multiple domestic and international field trips for
various EDF donor audiences to global EDF partner sites, including
all logistical planning and coordination with internal program
teams, and as needed, serve as a group leader on field trips,
acting as primary logistical and safety coordinator.
- With support from Marketing and Communications teams, develop
trip recruitment materials including e-mails, postcards, website,
and pre-departure orientation package.
- Ensure all donor travel and event interest is accurately stored
- Assist with researching new travel vendors and review and
process contracts and invoices.
- Lead and/or support the planning of virtual and in-person donor
events as needed.
- Stay up to date on latest trends and best practices in affinity
and philanthropic travel, donor engagement and event planning.
- Occasionally provide planning support and on-site staffing
support for EDF and EDF Action Board of Trustee meetings.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from
all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and
empowered to address the environmental and organizational
challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of major gifts, event
planning and/or volunteer management experience.
- Experience with managing high net worth donors preferred.
- Highly adaptable, able to thrive in a fast-paced work
environment and manage multiple projects with overlapping deadlines
at one time.
- Experienced self-starter, with exceptional attention to detail,
well- organized and able to plan and execute meetings and events
from conception to completion with minimal guidance.
- Proven ability to creatively bring programmatic and at times
technical work to life.
- Skilled in highly effective written and verbal
- Able to demonstrate good judgment and discretion, and the
ability to successfully interact with donors, Trustees, guest
speakers and staff at all levels of the organization.
- Expertise in donor engagement and relationship management.
Experience working with donors in their 20s – 40s, affinity groups
and group travel a plus.
- Demonstrated ability as a facilitator and group leader,
familiar with best practices for adult education and
- Experienced in risk management. Emergency First Aid, Wilderness
First Aid or similar certification not required but a plus.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally for up
to 2 weeks at a time. At times, extended work hours, weekend travel
will be required.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, C-Vent, and
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and
inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders
across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive
salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities
consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 104,000 - 114,000
USD which takes into account factors such as
candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal
opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are
considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other
basis prohibited by law.