ACTFL has an immediate opening for a Foundation
Director for our newly
Providing vision, leadership and support for quality teaching
and learning of languages, ACTFL is a membership organization
serving the career and professional needs of language educators and
administrators at all levels of instruction and in all languages,
as well as those in government, industry, and the non-profit
ACTFL’s work as a trusted, independent center of excellence
empowers educators to prepare learners for success in a 21st
century global society; helps government agencies build language
capacity in the U.S. and abroad; and connects businesses with the
resources and relationships they need to succeed.
The Foundation was born out of a clear and
urgent need to address some of the existential challenges facing
the language education community today. With the ultimate goal of
contributing to the development of a well-trained, diverse, and
highly effective educator workforce, the Foundation seeks funds
from individual, corporate, and foundation sources to support
language research, awards and scholarships, professional
development for educators, and public information/education about
the importance of language learning. In the end, the Foundation
exists to elevate the profession of language teaching.
Position Description: The Foundation
Director is the chief administrative officer of the
ACTFL Foundation and will be responsible for planning, managing,
implementing, and evaluating all aspects of the Foundation’s
operations and programs in support of its mission of raising money
to expand and deepen language education in the U.S. Collaborates
with the ACTFL Executive Director to develop and implement
comprehensive foundation policies, create corporate/foundation
fundraising campaigns/strategies, solicit major gifts, and ensure
that all foundation operations are in legal and financial
compliance. Meets with donors and prospective donors to establish
and cultivate relationships. Responsibilities of the position
include but are not limited to:
- Guiding the foundation to innovation and growth, the Director
provides leadership by communicating the foundation’s mission,
vision, and strategy.
- Directing and managing all aspects of a comprehensive strategy
to raise funds in support of the foundation’s mission, including
from corporate, foundation, and individual donors.
- In cooperation with the Board of Trustees, identifying
prospects and donors, cultivating and stewarding donors/prospects,
securing gifts through solicitation and supporting donor
- Developing a budget that reflects the mission and values of the
foundation; preparing a long-term financial plan that ensures the
long-term viability of the entity.
- Leading and overseeing the creation of a comprehensive fund
development program that cultivates deeper ties with current major
donors and broadens funding to include major individual donors and
other new institutional funding.
- Representing the foundation in public and/or fundraising
engagements; promoting a positive image of the foundation and the
importance of language education to external stakeholders.
- In cooperation with marketing staff, developing/producing
engaging marketing collateral for print and digital fundraising
- In cooperation with the ACTFL Executive Director and foundation
Board, developing the foundation’s strategic plan, action plans,
budget, planning and execution of fundraising activities, and
communication and relationship building with language community,
donors, and potential donors.
- Managing the recruitment and overall running of the Board of
Trustees, from recruitment and onboarding, to training for
fundraising engagement, and maintaining records from all meetings
of the Board of Trustees and other related records.
- Recruiting, directing, developing, mentoring, and managing all
- Performing all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year accredited educational
- 8-10 years or more as a senior development professional, with a
proven history in building sustainable high-performing development
programs and a demonstrated history of developing successful
relationships with high-net-worth individuals and institutional
- Proven track record of successfully closing six- and
- Experience working in associations and/or association
- Experience managing a budget of $1M or higher.
- Demonstrated integrity and adherence to high ethical
- Knowledge of strategic planning, national caliber fundraising,
donor acquisition, research, engagement, stewardship, reporting and
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability
to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively
impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- High energy and passion for language learning/education and
intercultural competency is essential.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with
exceptional attention to detail and ability manage multiple tasks
and projects at a time.
ACTFL offers a competitive salary and
excellent benefits packages, which includes:
- Remote and/or hybrid work opportunities
- Generous medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employer-paid life Insurance/AD&D, short and long term
- 401K with company match (after six months of employment)
- 12 paid holidays, and a week off between Christmas and New
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Commuter Benefits
- Voluntary Benefits, including Critical Illness Insurance,
Accident Insurance, Hospital Indemnity Insurance, Legal Services,
Identity Theft and Pet Insurance
ACTFL is committed to creating an inclusive employee
experience for all regardless of race, gender, religion, creed,
sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political
affiliation, or any other characteristic protected by law.