Austin Habitat for
Chief Executive Officer
Austin Habitat for Humanity
Board of Directors
AUSTIN HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
Austin Habitat for Humanity (AHFH) is committed to providing
affordable homeownership opportunities and is the largest builder
of homes affordable to own for hardworking, low-income families in
Central Texas. AHFH was established in 1985 and is an affiliate of
Habitat for Humanity International. Our mission seeks to put God’s
love into action and in doing so, we bring people together to build
homes, communities, and hope. We envision a world where everyone
has a decent place to live and utilize our core values of forward
thinking, collaboration, and service orientation to do so.
At AHFH, we are dedicated to creating a collaborative
environment where all teams work together to solve problems and
support each other to get the job done. We enter conversations with
trust and best intentions and share a belief that both our internal
and external clients deserve excellent customer service. We are
committed to lifelong learning, always striving for continuous
improvement. We believe that we have the opportunity to make a
positive difference in the lives of our clients and are committed
to bringing our best selves to the workplace each day. If you are
looking for an organization that makes a real difference in our
region, embraces opportunities to grow and adapt, loves people and
rewards passionate execution, you’ve come to the right place.
AHFH is currently building 23 homes this year, with plans to
build 50 homes in 2025, and 100 homes in 2030. In addition to its
homebuilding activities, AHFH recently launched its brokerage, Home
Base, through which it expects to sell ~150 homes/year, increasing
organizational revenue by ~$1,800,000. AHFH has a thriving retail
operation with three physical ReStores, 65 ReStore employees, and
one online store.
- Demonstrate the love of Jesus Christ
- Focus on shelter
- Advocate for affordable housing
- Promote dignity and hope
- Support sustainable and transformative development
AHFH seeks a Chief Executive Officer responsible for overseeing
the administration, programs, fundraising, marketing, community
outreach, and strategic planning of the organization. AHFH is an
affiliate of Habitat International and has been operating in the
Austin and Central Texas region for more than 35 years. During that
time, the organization has built more than 500 homes and served
thousands of lower income households.
The organization’s Chief Executive Officer will serve as AHFH’s
primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media,
and the public, while strengthening and developing new partnerships
throughout the city and state to enhance its mission. This
individual will report into the Board of Directors, and oversee
staff across finance and administration, development and
communications, programs, new home construction, ReStore, community
outreach, real estate, and client services. The successful
candidate will have experience interacting with a Board of
Directors on various issues, including policy decisions,
fundraising opportunities, brand marketing, and the development of
new organizational partnerships. The successful candidate will have
experience in fundraising, community and volunteer engagement, and
a deep passion for the mission and vision of Habitat for Humanity.
The Chief Executive Officer of Austin Habitat for Humanity will
collaborate with internal staff, the Board of Directors, and the
local community to initiate positive change for the future of
Austin, the surrounding counties, and its inhabitants. The Chief
Executive Officer will serve as the face of the organization and
work alongside the Board of Directors and other key stakeholders in
the creation and subsequent execution of the organization’s
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE
- Administration and Management
- Attract, recruit, supervise, mentor, and evaluate a
high-performing senior professional staff.
- Oversee management of all operational activities. Ensure
coordination and integration of activities as appropriate.
- Influence and shape the organizational culture by articulating
and embedding values, hiring, and growing talent, and enhancing
- Build and nurture a culture in which innovation and learning
- Lead the development and execution of long-term strategies.
Implement and manage the execution of AHFH’s strategic plan.
- Serve as AHFH’s key staff representative to the board of
directors, volunteers, and key external stakeholders across the
public and private sector.
- Manage AHFH’s budget and ensure that it is a financially
viable, sustainable organization with the resources to meet current
and projected program growth. Leverage cash, reserves, in-kind
resources, and income streams to serve more families.
- Organizational Mission and Strategy
- In cooperation with the Board of Directors, develop a strategic
and tactical plan, with specific fundraising, volunteer and
construction targets that reflects the mission of AHFH and
integrates the organization into the fabric of non-profit service
organizations and community development corporations currently
active in many neighborhoods within the service area.
- Implement AHFH’s programs in a manner aligned with the
organization’s faith-based mission.
- Guide the organization and its diverse internal and external
stakeholders through goal setting and prioritizing, long-range
planning, and growth.
- Further an already impressive community image through active
and visible community, professional, civic, and private
organization relationship development.
- Partner with for-profit developers to provide additional
market-rate and affordable housing supply in Austin and Central
- Continue developing/nurturing effective relationships with
regional governmental leaders, staff and agencies, such as the City
of Austin, Travis County, different Housing Authorities, housing
advocacy groups, policy groups and others.
- Work in support of the Habitat for Humanity International
(HFHI) Strategic Plan and within the conditions of the HFHI
affiliation and branding agreements while working to maintain and
improve this critical relationship.
- Revenue Generation
- Provide leadership to the continued diversification of revenue
sources for AHFH.
- Engage the Board of Directors to fulfill its governance
function and energize the Board to assist in the fundraising and
advocacy efforts of AHFH.
- Further the success and implementation of AHFH’s new real
estate brokerage in partnership with for-profit developers.
- Serve as an advocate for Austin Habitat for Humanity in Austin
and the surrounding counties.
- Expand AHFH’s programs into our full 5-county region of Central
Texas, including construction, home repair, housing counseling, and
- Provide oversight and support new initiatives and opportunities
to enhance overall fundraising for AHFH, including identification
of new sources for individual, corporate, and public sector
- Board Relations
- Communicate effectively with the Board of Directors and
provide, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary
for the board to function properly and to make informed
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, work to organize
and facilitate effective board committees, subcommittees and
working groups to best use the substantial talent and experience on
the board to further the mission.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, work to attract new
Board and Advisory members to the organization.
- Work in partnership with the Board of Directors to unlock
prospective new donors for AHFH.
The Chief Executive Officer must be a passionate advocate for
AHFH’s mission, as well as capable of directly working in the field
on a day-to-day basis in an entrepreneurial environment with
limited organizational structure, overhead, and staff. The
organization seeks a highly credible, proven, proactive, dynamic,
and dedicated leader to provide innovative leadership to its
Other desired qualifications and leadership characteristics
- Ten plus (10+) years of leadership experience at either
non-profit or for-profit organizations. Experience in the areas of
community development (housing, community organizing, community
planning, housing counseling, housing financing, and construction)
- Five plus (5+) years’ experience at the executive level.
- Demonstrated success building partnerships and collaborations
of public, corporate, foundation and community-based organizations
that furthers AHFH’s mission and builds communities.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal
and written), including presentation skills. Ability to serve as an
effective internal and external spokesperson, clearly communicating
vision, key strategies and goals to media, senior leaders, and
experts in the field.
- Comfort and track record providing interviews to news outlets,
campaigning at events, and pushing policy initiatives forward at
the local, state, and federal level.
- Exposure to retail operations across multiple locations
- Track record of creating and expanding new programs/business
- Demonstrated track record of small donor, corporate, and
- Experience with a Habitat Affiliate or within housing, real
estate, or retail operations is potentially helpful, but not
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required, Master’s in
related field preferred.
A competitive compensation package will be offered to the
Apply online at:
Austin Habitat for Humanity (AHFH) is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard
to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual
preference, age, non-job-related disability, or marital