ABOUT LATINOJUSTICE PRLDEF (LJP):
LatinoJustice PRLDEF (LJP) is a national civil rights
organization headquartered in NYC, and with offices in Orlando, FL
and Austin, Texas. Our team works to create a more just society by
using and challenging the rule of law to secure transformative,
equitable, and accessible justice. As LJP approaches its 50th
Anniversary, the organization is in a pivotal moment of
geographical expansion as well as program and staff growth.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
LJP is seeking to hire an enthusiastic Director of People &
Culture to join our People Operations team. The Director will
provide leadership and guidance on shaping the employee experience
and strengthening our organizational culture with a focus on our
values of justice, diversity, dignity, accountability, and
belonging. The position will be responsible for developing and
implementing our people strategies, including strengthening
strategies impacting hiring and staffing retention, learning and
development, leadership development and performance management. The
Director will also provide sound advice to senior management on all
people related matters and will ensure that all Human Resources
(HR) operations are carried out efficiently and effectively.
This position is both tactical and strategic, requiring management
of day-to-day operations along with critical thinking skills.
The ideal candidate for this position is patient, compassionate,
has excellent listening skills, fosters collaboration and can
multi-task effectively. The Director is expected to lead by
example and nurture and enhance LJP’s value driven culture, has
intrinsic motivation to work with multiple personalities, is
comfortable with fast-paced decision making and a rapidly changing
environment and feels that no administrative task is too little or
The Director reports directly to the COO and supervises one
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
Implement effective Human Resources (HR) programs by providing
Human Resources Management services including but not limited to
the areas of HR leadership, organizational culture, and DEI,
hiring, and staffing retention, learning and development and
benefits and compliance.
Human Resources Leadership
- Provide proactive leadership and professional expertise in all
areas of people management.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and effective
communication of HR policies and procedures in alignment of LJP’s
- Maintain all LJP policies in compliance with federal, state,
and local laws where LJP has offices (NY, FL, and TX).
- Manage the implementation of LJP’s employee handbook and
collective bargaining agreement (CBA), providing ongoing guidance
and interpretation and administration.
- Advise leadership and management of unionized employees on
policy and practice to ensure compliance.
- Lead and provide oversight on employment and workplace
investigations with the highest level of professionalism,
integrity, and confidentiality.
Organizational Culture and DEI
- Commit to LJP’s value driven culture; lead by example and
provide sound guidance.
- Provide coaching and guidance to employees and management as
needed on topics such as, managing conflict, performance, effective
communication, and feedback.
- Ensure all employees’ policies, practices and programs are
consistent and fairly applied.
- Enhance LJP’s policies to ensure practice and organizational
culture is in alignment with LJP’s principles of diversity.
- Partner with management and staff to secure a culture of fair
treatment, equal access to opportunities to learn, visibility,
professional growth, and advancement for all employees.
- Lead in promoting a culture where people feel seen and valued
in their full selves in an organization where they belong.
Hiring and Staff Retention
- Build on LJP’s current recruitment and hiring strategy and
processes to attract diverse candidates.
- Partner with hiring managers in developing cohesive job
descriptions and candidate profiles; define, create, and execute
the communication strategy and branding for recruitment and talent
- Implement and continually improve LJP’s onboarding and new hire
- Enhance current and future new employee engagement
Learning and Development
- Build and evolve LJP’s people development processes including
core competencies, goal setting, performance metrics, 360-degree
feedback, coaching and performance reviews.
- Partner with the COO in curating a learning curriculum from our
online course platform in support of both performance and wellness
- Implement LJP’s leadership development initiatives and oversee
LJP’s coaching model.
Benefits and Compliance
- Oversee LJP’s health/dental/vision, HRA, HSA, DCA and 403(b)
plans. Provide ongoing benefit, retirement and PTO education and
guidance to all staff.
- Oversee the resolution of all employee inquires. Escalate
complex queries to the COO and external providers and advisors as
- Oversee benefits and retirement related projects including
RFI/RFPs for services, plan design changes, and enhance employee
education and engagement.
- Oversee day-to-day benefit program administration, including
partnering with internal/external business partners to troubleshoot
errors between payroll, HRIS and benefits administrator systems for
compliance and accuracy.
- Oversee the retirement plan administration, including employee
communications, annual audit reviews, mid-year testing, actuarial
valuations, and compliance notices.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Industrial and
Organizational Psychology or related field. Advanced degree or
Human Resources Certification preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in Human Resources
Management with at least three (3) years in a leadership role.
- Experience working in anti-racist organizations or
collaborating with anti-racist groups is preferred.
- Experience working in a unionized environment is a plus.
- Non-profit experience is a plus
- Organized, structured, and both big picture savvy and detail
oriented, capable of multi-tasking tasks that often vary in scale
- Sympathetic and nurturing demeanor; has self-confidence and
persistence and is confident with decision making.
- Systems thinker who does not respond to individual scenarios or
prompts but understands the symptoms of a challenge and addresses
- Superb conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to always display integrity, professionalism, and
- Proactive and completes tasks with a sense of urgency.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written communication
- Tech savvy and confident with new technologies.
- Passionate about LJP’s work, racial equity, and social
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
LatinoJustice PRLDEF offers a comprehensive benefits package
which includes fully paid health, dental, vision, life, and
short-term and long-term disability benefits. As well
generous paid time off, voluntary retirement plan with employer
match and professional development. Employees can also take
advantage of various pre-tax offerings such as commuter benefits,
parking, HSA, and dependent care accounts. Pay is competitive and
commensurate with experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with
the American Disabilities Act (ADA).
LJP staff are currently working in a hybrid work model due to
the COVID-19 pandemic. This position is designed as a 2-day per
week in-person role.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. LJP does
not provide sponsorship.