The National Center for Law and Economic Justice (NCLEJ)
advances economic justice for low-income families, individuals, and
communities across the country. We fight every day to eliminate an
array of unfair economic and racial injustices.
We work to expand access to critical benefits like food stamps,
Medicaid, and childcare, protect low-wage workers’ rights and
safety, advance the rights of people with disabilities, and end
unlawful debt collection.
Our tactics to advance economic justice include winning
strategic class action cases, representing marginalized individuals
and communities, and changing federal and state legislation and
private institutions’ practices.
We partner with other litigation and advocacy organizations,
grassroots and community organizations, and individuals in our
fight for racial and economic
Join our growing leadership team to build an exciting
future for NCLEJ!
NCLEJ is seeking a Communications Director to lead and execute its
communications strategy in collaboration with NCLEJ’s Executive
Director, Director of Philanthropy, and our expert staff of lawyers
and advocates. As Communications Director, you will develop tactics
and create content to meet our main communications and fundraising
50% - Elevate brand and messaging
- Build on an existing communications system and create and
execute a comprehensive annual communications plan that identifies
strategies to elevate NCLEJ’s racial and economic justice work and
secure new audiences and supporters.
- Drive a multi-channel communications strategy, including social
media channels, email marketing, and website.
- Build on-brand voice and maintain brand integrity across all
- Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members,
influencers, and community leaders.
- Prepare and manage all communications material, including the
development of digital and print assets, such as press releases,
one-pagers, impact reports, video/audio, and donor
- Lead a website refresh
- Review and update systems to improve tracking engagement across
various platforms to make data-driven decisions.
- Support Executive Director, Director of Litigation &
Advocacy, and other staff in media engagements.
- Elevate the brilliance and expertise of our staff of advocates
30% - Development/fundraising
- Align communications plan and strategies with annual
development plan and fundraising targets.
- Collaborate closely with Director of Philanthropy to create and
implement special events, in-person and virtual, including taking
the lead on content creation.
- Work with the Director of Philanthropy on CRM and email
20% - Collaborate as leadership team member
- Coordinate communications strategies with the senior management
team including Executive Director, Director of Litigation and
Advocacy, Director of Philanthropy, and Director of Finance &
- Contribute to organizational development and team building,
such as creating staff and board engagement
Qualifications and experience of the ideal
- Have a deep commitment to, and understanding of, racial and
economic justice issues.
- Have experience growing and engaging audiences for social
- Be a talented leader with a demonstrated ability to work
independently and as a team player.
- Bring an effective social justice writing style – such as tone
and approach that is strategic, strong, clear, and accessible to
audiences at many levels of understanding.
- Have the ability or experience connecting the specific legal
cases we work on with the social justice movement-building we are
- Have experience working with senior management and boards of
directors, ideally in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic work
- Bonus skills include visual design skills such as the graphic
design on Canva or other design programs and photography
- Basic skills to manage our current website and email marketing
Compensation: 95,000 +/- Based on
Benefits: NCLEJ has a generous benefits package
including health, dental, and vision insurance; 15-24 vacation days
and 10-15 sick days per year (based on length of service); 13 paid
holidays per year; an FSA plan for medical, childcare, and transit
expenses; an Employee Assistance Program; and contributions to
individuals’ 403(b) plans.
Vaccination Requirement: To help ensure that
NCLEJ continues to operate in the safest manner possible, NCLEJ
requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Equal opportunity: NCLEJ is proud to be an
equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis
of race, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or
national or ethnic origin.
Application process: Please submit a resume, a
cover letter, and one work sample (such as an advocacy email, press
placement, or similar communications asset) that you wrote,
ghost-wrote, or developed which conveys your strategic approach and
writing style. Please email us all three pieces in a single Word or
PDF document to betsy@SageStrategicHR.com
with “Director of Communications” in the subject line.